Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 04:57 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not anywhere near me. I almost never drive more than 4 miles from the house ever for anything unless i go fishing offshore from Clearwater.
Gotcha…
Well, I have to admit, after an evening/night of rare drunken debauchery a few weeks ago, I ended up at Waffle House in New Port Richey, and between that and a recent used furniture purchase in Spring Hill, I must say, I am not surprised by the lack of variety in West Pasco County in general. Most of it seems to be quite run down, and doesn’t have the demographic that would support those types of grocery stores.

That said, I have found Instacart prices for Sprouts to be fairly decent (not at all the case for Publix!) so there is that option if you’re a fan of Sprouts… Similarly, Whole Foods is okay on Amazon. Amazon Fresh is even better if it’s available in your area. I used the latter A LOT when I lived in Orlando. Unfortunately, that one isn’t available where I now live. I miss it. My current shopping is mainly divided between Publix and Sprouts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 05:11 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Publix is a premium supermarket. They pay their employees more, the employees get stock options (it's 100% owned by employees), group health insurance, dental and vision options, annual profit-sharing bonuses, a 401k plan, regular raises with a generous cap, and (at least last year during COVID) generous bonuses in the form of Publix gift cards (between $50 and $100 every few months, no matter how many or few hours you worked).

They also are trained to treat their customers better than you'll find at less expensive stores like Walmart and Sav-a-Lot.

You're paying for all the things you complain don't exist at the cheaper stores.

If you don't care about customer service, and you don't care that the store you shop in is often dirty, with filthy shelves and questionable quality packaged produce, and you don't care that their "bakery" department doesn't actually bake anything in the store at all - then you'll find Walmart Superstore a much better deal.

But if you care about those things, you should be willing to pay for them.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:15 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Rich people can be some of the most cheap and complain about prices. I work retail and own my retail business. You know, older, the big ring on their finger, etc. but say the price is too high. Versus a regular middle class customer that won't complain about my prices. Like my hispanic customers rarely complain about prices, but a wealthy older person will ask for a better deal or complain.
you know, I guess it just depends....

I don't see rich people doing that around here at all...mostly I see them just spending huge quantities of money...

...the ones that cause problems...and try to nickel and dime you to death...are the ones from Hialeah

Old 11-30-2021, 05:22 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...and you have to watch the size of the containers

Publix might be the same price....but a smaller container
Aldi pulls the same junk....15 ounce containers...hate that.

I like how Costco has the price per pound, or price per ounce, shown clearly below the price for the product.

Publix does it, but its not as easy to see.

I can hardly buy anything at Publix after getting used to Aldi prices, & Wal Mart, and Costco.

When I moved back down here I did immediately notice the higher prices versus Atlanta. I'd estimate 15% across the board. I think Florida is moderating now due to Aldi, but it will always be higher than many other states in flyover country.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:36 PM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Gotcha…
Well, I have to admit, after an evening/night of rare drunken debauchery a few weeks ago, I ended up at Waffle House in New Port Richey, and between that and a recent used furniture purchase in Spring Hill, I must say, I am not surprised by the lack of variety in West Pasco County in general. Most of it seems to be quite run down, and doesn’t have the demographic that would support those types of grocery stores.

That said, I have found Instacart prices for Sprouts to be fairly decent (not at all the case for Publix!) so there is that option if you’re a fan of Sprouts… Similarly, Whole Foods is okay on Amazon. Amazon Fresh is even better if it’s available in your area. I used the latter A LOT when I lived in Orlando. Unfortunately, that one isn’t available where I now live. I miss it. My current shopping is mainly divided between Publix and Sprouts.
This is why homes were selling for 20k in the area not many years ago. All there is used car dealers and closed up malls and stores. The only Target to close and Outback was in this area as well mel.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Aldi pulls the same junk....15 ounce containers...hate that.

I like how Costco has the price per pound, or price per ounce, shown clearly below the price for the product.

Publix does it, but its not as easy to see.

I can hardly buy anything at Publix after getting used to Aldi prices, & Wal Mart, and Costco.

When I moved back down here I did immediately notice the higher prices versus Atlanta. I'd estimate 15% across the board. I think Florida is moderating now due to Aldi, but it will always be higher than many other states in flyover country.
I went to a crappy Aldi two times in my area. Once around 2011 or whenever it first was built and about 3 years ago when some old hag about hit my Corvette brett. It was dark, dank and drab in that store and with nothing i wanted to buy. I never tried a Save a lot yet chet.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:56 PM

17,142 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I went to a crappy Aldi two times in my area. Once around 2011 or whenever it first was built and about 3 years ago when some old hag about hit my Corvette brett. It was dark, dank and drab in that store and with nothing i wanted to buy. I never tried a Save a lot yet chet.
The only things I have been able to justify buying from Aldi's have been canned goods... Sardines, tuna, beans. So around $10 worth of groceries out of my run. Not worth it. I seriously do not get the hype. It's a glorified Save-a-Lot.

If you DON'T like Aldi's already, then no point in trying Save-a-Lot.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
IMO, the best thing at Aldi's is the relatively cheap German/Belgian/random EU country chocolate bars.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The only things I have been able to justify buying from Aldi's have been canned goods... Sardines, tuna, beans. So around $10 worth of groceries out of my run. Not worth it. I seriously do not get the hype. It's a glorified Save-a-Lot.

If you DON'T like Aldi's already, then no point in trying Save-a-Lot.
I only go to Walmart bart and Publix. But started going to a meat market this last weekend for steaks and stuff more to the sizes i need them since i live alone.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:25 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my experience, lack of competition within a five-minute radius, driving or walking. Publix is ubiquitous, basically a real estate company that happens to sell groceries. But it is a full set of groceries, in a wide sense of the term.

In my experience, the nearest competition, within a 10-minute driving radius (unwalkable) - Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Fresh Market - cost more than Publix and the range of products on offer is about 1/3. SuperTarget is okay pricewise, but again, about 1/3 the range.
I've visited one of the non-Florida, uber popular regional stores that has been mentioned as being superior to Publix and other area stores in previous threads. I get why the store is popular and would include in my grocery trips if I lived there, but some of the comments here didn't match the reality in regard to what I buy.

The store has a much larger square footage than anything we have here. To me, that size comes with the assumption that they have better selection than stores with a more "normal" 40K to 50K sq ft. of space. But in a few departments, I noticed that the extra square footage seemed to merely allow the store to have a higher quantity of items per product on the sales floor as opposed to offering a significantly more diverse selection of goods. Imagine Publix only having 10 green bell peppers on display. This store will have 40-60 in a big basket. Now multiply that across the rest of produce, bakery dept, seafood dept, products down the aisles, etc. They also sell a lot of non-edible things we'd usually get at a big box general merchandise store or drug store.

Here are a couple of examples of the "appearance" of more selection. I verified on their websites in case I missed something when I was there in person. This store had ONE brand/variety of balsamic glaze for sale. My closest Publix, which is not a flagship or spruced up store, has FIVE brands. The other store has 10 Planters Nuts products, but no NUT-trition or honey roasted. Just salted nuts, mixed nuts, and cashews. Publix has 37 Planters products. Publix has 20 Emerald Nuts products. This other store that is more than twice as large as zero. You'll have to go for the house brand if you want a certain flavoring.

I thought this could be a regional thing, especially with Emerald, so I looked up nearby Kroger and Albertsons stores in that same zip code. They are in line with what Publix offers with the glaze and both brands of nuts.

To their credit, they do have a store-brand answer to a lot more products than Publix, and they do offer a lot of foods and food products unique to the culture of their region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida