Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2021, 11:20 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I did not mention politics, you did (by the way, I voted for Biden).

You do not like it here because of fundamental things that make Florida, Florida. You advocate policies that in your head, you think it makes sense, and refer to where you came from as having it, yet you still fail to see how and why these policies turn where you came from into fiscal basket cases, while Florida is one of the top fiscally sound states.

This is not a "I wish we had a Bob's Diner like in Connecticut, such good fries", this is "I wish we imposed a tax that would take money from people, because where I came from has it, and I think it works well", failing to still see, post after post, that it does not work well, and why would a fiscally sound state like Florida, want to put in danger this fiscal soundness with a tax that is not needed?

So in a hypothetical, an income tax does get imposed, revenue starts falling as one of the main drivers for fiscal soundness starts shifting elsewhere, your solution will be "to raise taxes more".

Rinse and repeat.
Florida is NOT fiscally sound. They have to rely on federal funding to be fiscally "sound" because the state severely undertaxes its people and businesses. It's an illusion. For every federal tax dollar Florida residents pay, the state receives up to 4 times in federal funding. Talk about extreme dependency on the federal government.

It's no wonder why Florida is such an underdeveloped state. No department of labor, very low pubic school funding, the absolute worst unemployment insurance program in the USA. Weak Medicaid expansion, embarrassingly low wages, no real tax system, and much more.

Living in Florida definitely feels like a step or two below the northeastern states, that's for sure. Many of my colleagues here who were transplants from the northeast agree, but we tolerate it because there are many positives about living in Florida.

I have a master's degree, but only 11% of Floridians have one. In Connecticut, 18% of people have one.

Last edited by nep321; 12-22-2021 at 11:32 AM..

Old 12-22-2021, 11:30 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's absurd. Florida's cities have VERY high crime, with Jacksonville being the murder capital of the state now. Crime is present in nearly every big city in this nation. I don't care which state it's in.
https://worldpopulationreview.com/us...ties-in-the-us

just data...

Old 12-22-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Florida is NOT fiscally sound. They have to rely on federal funding to be fiscally "sound" because the state severely undertaxes its people and businesses. It's an illusion. For every federal tax dollar Florida residents pay, the state receives up to 4 times in federal funding. Talk about extreme dependency on the federal government.

It's no wonder why Florida is such an underdeveloped state. No department of labor, very low pubic school funding, the absolute worst unemployment insurance program in the USA. Weak Medicaid expansion, embarrassingly low wages, and much more.

Living in Florida definitely feels like a step or two below the northeastern states, that's for sure. Many of my colleagues here who were transplants from the northeast agree, but we tolerate it because there are many positives about living in Florida.

I have a master's degree, but only 11% of Floridians have one. In Connecticut, 18% of people have one.

Florida is a much better fiscal state than most. https://www.mercatus.org/system/file...v1%28KP%29.pdf
https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/...sday%20morning.

Many people get their MS in Florida and move. My daughter did. The field she's in isn't as developed in Florida. Florida's aviation and aerospace industry is the world's gateway to space. ... In addition, Florida has the rich supply chain and highly skilled workforce to support engineering, robotics, surveillance, technology and more.

Old 12-22-2021, 12:33 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Maybe that's because 30% of the population has a Bachelor's degree or higher....and doesn't feel the need to narrow their focus any more

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...5219#EDU685219

Crime and Jasonville being the murder capital has to do with only one thing....

....the black neighborhood north west of downtown...that's what's driving the homicide/murder rate

" While Jacksonville’s overall homicide rate is higher than elsewhere in Florida, the homicide rate among black men is even higher. One in 6,151 Jaxsons were killed in 2019 compared to one in 1,386 black men.

Out of the 158 homicide victims last year, 100 of them, or 63 percent, were black men. Black men make up just 14 percent of Jacksonville’s population.

We see that contrast in maps, too. Jacksonville is still a segregated city, and the homicides are concentrated in black neighborhoods.

In 32209, 95.5 percent of residents are African-American, and for decades, the Zip code has also had the most homicide victims in Jacksonville. In 2019 alone, there were 27 homicides in 32209, accounting for 17 percent of all homicides, despite making up just 4 percent of Jacksonville residents."

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/n...got/112131816/

Old 12-22-2021, 01:18 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
States that are desirable have higher costs. The law of supply and demand still rings true. The below list is outdated but relfects the placement of states.

https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...-income-growth
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ian_home_price
Funny how people get supply and demand lectures when they complain about housing costs, but the lecturers don’t seem to apply the Econ 101 lecture when they complain about Corn Flakes costing $0.40 more a box today. It’s all #LetsGoBrandon. (I’m speaking in general about what I’ve seen in many places online, and not you specifically.)

Quote:
New Florida residents who fled high-crime cities praise DeSantis' policies: 'The governor has done a good job'
Sarasota and Tampa both ranked in the top five metropolitan areas people moved to in 2021.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/chi...s-move-florida
I saw that article earlier today. It’s just a “Man on the Street” kind of story, which like the comedy shows, can be made to only include clips that suit what the creator wants.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
Funny how people get supply and demand lectures when they complain about housing costs, but the lecturers don’t seem to apply the Econ 101 lecture when they complain about Corn Flakes costing $0.40 more a box today. It’s all #LetsGoBrandon. (I’m speaking in general about what I’ve seen in many places online, and not you specifically.)

I saw that article earlier today. It’s just a “Man on the Street” kind of story, which like the comedy shows, can be made to only include clips that suit what the creator wants.
So what's 'your' truth about Florida, or is just deny or diminish posts? Where are you from, do tell?

Old 12-22-2021, 01:25 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,746,585 times
Quote:
So what's 'your' truth about Florida, or is just deny or diminish posts? Where are you from, do tell?
I’ve given my opinion addressing the topic of the thread already.

Old 12-22-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I’ve given my opinion addressing the topic of the thread already.
lol... gotcha.

Old 12-23-2021, 06:43 AM

486 posts, read 515,940 times
I love all the pro-CT talk... fiscal responsibility, HA! The land of unfunded pensions. They have only approx 24% of the required funds to pay for their unfunded liabilities($112 Billion.. or 2.5x their total annual budget in the state). Ranked dead last in the country. Guess who will end up paying for that if they cannot tax their way out of it?

Florida has only $36 Billion in unfunded liabilities and has cash for 82% of that on hand.. the shortfall here was caused by estimates not meeting reality. Florida's public pension is the 5th largest in the country.

Next lets look at roads and public works... CT is constantly falling apart outside of federally repaired highways. How is that toll per mile system they keep trying to put into action up there going?

I have driven from FL to MA and back recently... the roads in Florida are so much better.

Florida is #39 in the nation in reliance on federal funds. CT is #33....
https://www.moneygeek.com/living/sta...al-government/

Everyone like to think that the south is comprised of one big WV/MS blob when it comes to complaining about finances.

Old 12-23-2021, 07:01 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I love all the pro-CT talk... fiscal responsibility, HA! The land of unfunded pensions. They have only approx 24% of the required funds to pay for their unfunded liabilities($112 Billion.. or 2.5x their total annual budget in the state). Ranked dead last in the country. Guess who will end up paying for that if they cannot tax their way out of it?

Florida has only $36 Billion in unfunded liabilities and has cash for 82% of that on hand.. the shortfall here was caused by estimates not meeting reality. Florida's public pension is the 5th largest in the country.

Next lets look at roads and public works... CT is constantly falling apart outside of federally repaired highways. How is that toll per mile system they keep trying to put into action up there going?

I have driven from FL to MA and back recently... the roads in Florida are so much better.

Florida is #39 in the nation in reliance on federal funds. CT is #33....
https://www.moneygeek.com/living/sta...al-government/

Everyone like to think that the south is comprised of one big WV/MS blob when it comes to complaining about finances.
Yes, because Florida depends on federal government for funding of roads because Florida has NO income tax system to fund its own needs. Pathetic.

Connecticut ranks #3 with pubic schools. Florida can't even compete with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida