U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 01:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,540,962 times

Advertisements

High crime rate, but believe it or not Orlando's is higher and so is Tampa's... VERY expensive in Miami. None of the other cities here are like you want with communities that all have thier own sections of cultures(italian here, irish there), it's not like that down here. Florida is a big melting pot of everyone. Miami is the only city as I know, that has sections of different ethnics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 01:55 PM

1,454 posts, read 3,946,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
High crime rate, but believe it or not Orlando's is higher and so is Tampa's... VERY expensive in Miami. None of the other cities here are like you want with communities that all have thier own sections of cultures(italian here, irish there), it's not like that down here. Florida is a big melting pot of everyone. Miami is the only city as I know, that has sections of different ethnics.
Well, I guess it really doesn't matter if there's a special section of town for ex-Yugo people.
I don't know, but the Tampa area is the only area I know of in Florida. Something about being around there just made me happy. It also seems more realistic and affordable. Especially thinking about Tarpon Springs, I could see myself in a place like that.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:26 PM

15,213 posts, read 31,190,076 times
Tarpon Springs is a wonderful little town - I love to visit there. It's one of the more unique towns in Florida with it's Greek heritage and the unique and nostalgic little souvenir shops near the sponge docks.

I am a Tampa native, and it is a melting pot of ethnic cultures - it's always been that way. I do think you will enjoy the area quite a bit.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:36 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,255,075 times
My dad took me up to Tarpon springs when we went to Busch Gardens. I really liked it. It was a little tiny village. I bought some real sponges there, and tried their baklava.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Tarpon Springs is a wonderful little town - I love to visit there. It's one of the more unique towns in Florida with it's Greek heritage and the unique and nostalgic little souvenir shops near the sponge docks.

I am a Tampa native, and it is a melting pot of ethnic cultures - it's always been that way. I do think you will enjoy the area quite a bit.
Okay, I even talked to my mom about it. And she said that if I ever did move to Florida, she'd like if I was in the Tampa area. Because of the whole bay area, and that when hurricanes come around, it's not hit as hard.

Anyways, in Tampa, are there any jobs for people out of highschool, that are still working toward a degree?

Also, are there any jobs that pay around 11, 12, 13 dollars an hour? I find I'd be able to live comfortably (in my standards) with that type of pay.

EDIT: Even though the standard of living may be higher... I think that may cover it? Anyways, you guys know more than I do...is what I want to do unrealistic? I know I've gotten great responses, and told to go for it, but for someone like me outta highschool, that just finished a year of college...is what I want to do unattainable for the time being?

Last edited by acrylic; 05-20-2008 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: Wanted to add more

Old 05-21-2008, 05:20 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,201,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Okay, I even talked to my mom about it. And she said that if I ever did move to Florida, she'd like if I was in the Tampa area. Because of the whole bay area, and that when hurricanes come around, it's not hit as hard.

Anyways, in Tampa, are there any jobs for people out of highschool, that are still working toward a degree?

Also, are there any jobs that pay around 11, 12, 13 dollars an hour? I find I'd be able to live comfortably (in my standards) with that type of pay.

EDIT: Even though the standard of living may be higher... I think that may cover it? Anyways, you guys know more than I do...is what I want to do unrealistic? I know I've gotten great responses, and told to go for it, but for someone like me outta highschool, that just finished a year of college...is what I want to do unattainable for the time being?
Jobs are hard to come by,and jobs that pay that kind of money are even tougher.

If you plan to come down here, you really should have enough money saved up to cover all your expenses for a couple of months. You will need to spend some money for a place to live, gas is expensive, food is expensive and the cost of living is not cheap.

You are young and have nothing really to lose, but don't come here with blinders on. The job market is extremely tight. It is not uncommon to hear of 100 applications for a job paying $9 an hour.

So far, Tampa has been lucky when it comes to hurricanes. You never know though. Any coastal area could take a hit.

Save some money, come on down and give it a try-what do you have to lose? Don't come without some savings though-that is a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:28 AM

15,213 posts, read 31,190,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post

If you plan to come down here, you really should have enough money saved up to cover all your expenses for a couple of months. You will need to spend some money for a place to live, gas is expensive, food is expensive and the cost of living is not cheap.

You are young and have nothing really to lose, but don't come here with blinders on. The job market is extremely tight. It is not uncommon to hear of 100 applications for a job paying $9 an hour.

So far, Tampa has been lucky when it comes to hurricanes. You never know though. Any coastal area could take a hit.

Save some money, come on down and give it a try-what do you have to lose? Don't come without some savings though-that is a recipe for disaster.
I agree with Lilybeans, especially about the job. I am confused, because I thought you said you would be "guaranteed a job" for awhile? Job market here is VERY tough, you will have to be willing to do a variety of things, and will probably be lucky to get $8.00 an hour. So if you are OK with that, come on down and have some fun, and experience what this great area has to offer!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:07 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,540,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post

I agree with Lilybeans AND Gypsychic completely. I have 14 years experience in property management, I do the apartment maintenance part, Air conditioning, plumbing, electrical, etc. And I am having a REALLY hard time finding a job... $10-13 an hour? That is going to be really difficult. Florida is not cheap like it was 15 years aho when I came here. It's night and day differencr from the 90's.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree with Lilybeans, especially about the job. I am confused, because I thought you said you would be "guaranteed a job" for awhile? Job market here is VERY tough, you will have to be willing to do a variety of things, and will probably be lucky to get $8.00 an hour. So if you are OK with that, come on down and have some fun, and experience what this great area has to offer!
Well, my job would be pretty much guaranteed, yes. I'm sure I'd even get the money I'd have after raise here, I'd hope. I'm just worried that I wouldn't be able to make it on my own...and that I wouldn't be able to find anyone I trust to live with me there. Especially if it's a long ways away. Maybe I can convince a friend to come along with me.

I kid you not, all of my friends that live here (except for one) complain about the weather and the winters, and all that, but don't want to do anything about it. It's really sad. I have it in my mind that I definitely WANT TO go go go! It's just a matter of when, and to where exactly.

Do any of you that live in Tampa know anything about the Northern Tool + Equipment down there? Is it any good there? Like is it a respectable place of establishment? The one I work at is fantastic, and I absolutely love working there.

I guess going down there on savings would work fine. And working at the 8 something dollars an hour would work fine, until it came time to really pay the bills, and until I find something that pays more.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,186,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Okay, I even talked to my mom about it. And she said that if I ever did move to Florida, she'd like if I was in the Tampa area. Because of the whole bay area, and that when hurricanes come around, it's not hit as hard....
Whoa hold on there - that may not necessarily be the case. Hurricanes are not selective by any means. For years, it was believed that if you lived in-land you would be reasonably safe. Residents in Orlando were badly hit with recent hurricanes.

All I am saying is that you can widen your moat. I live on the east coast near Fort Lauderdale. The cost of living here is expensive. You can share an apartment for a reasonable amount approx $500-600 a month.

You can certainly move here and enjoy the sun, sea, and sand - all you have to do is make your plan and execute it. BTW - I happen to really like the west coast of Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or