U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:26 PM

1,454 posts, read 3,936,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Whoa hold on there - that may not necessarily be the case. Hurricanes are not selective by any means. For years, it was believed that if you lived in-land you would be reasonably safe. Residents in Orlando were badly hit with recent hurricanes.

All I am saying is that you can widen your moat. I live on the east coast near Fort Lauderdale. The cost of living here is expensive. You can share an apartment for a reasonable amount approx $500-600 a month.

You can certainly move here and enjoy the sun, sea, and sand - all you have to do is make your plan and execute it. BTW - I happen to really like the west coast of Florida.
I understand that any area is prone, but I don't hear too much about that area, so I consider it a little bit safer than other places I've heard of getting hit.

I do not know what you mean by "you can widen your moat". Does that mean broaden the areas that I'm looking for? I'm definitely looking at many places, and suggestions from people here!

And by you saying the cost of an apartment being $500-600 a month, would that be for my half if I was to share it with someone? Or if you mean $500-$600 for a reasonable apartment in its whole, thats not too bad at all. Where I live, prices are like that...so if I was on my own, it would cost that much anyways. And if I moved somewhere down to the twin cities...well...double that. If that's how much it really is for a reasonable apartment, that makes me excited because I was thinking when people say it's expensive down there, I was thinking 800 or so a month for a mediocre apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,189,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post

And by you saying the cost of an apartment being $500-600 a month, would that be for my half if I was to share it with someone?
That would be for your half. Add electric in to that, and possibly cable and water.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
That would be for your half. Add electric in to that, and possibly cable and water.
So one can't get a reasonable apartment for less than $1,000 a month?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
So one can't get a reasonable apartment for less than $1,000 a month?
Depends on what you think is reasonable, but around $1000 month is pretty normal. It's more in the cities, of course.

You could get a room in a house with some other guys for less.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:44 PM

Alright, thanks everyone for your help.

Are there any good guides for moving that are free on the internet? I may possibly do this in about a year if I can get someone to come down with me.

One thing I don't understand though is, if people are out on their own, and prices are like that, but wages aren't too high, high can they afford to live there?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Alright, thanks everyone for your help.

Are there any good guides for moving that are free on the internet? I may possibly do this in about a year if I can get someone to come down with me.

One thing I don't understand though is, if people are out on their own, and prices are like that, but wages aren't too high, high can they afford to live there?
It's tough.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,520,547 times
Quote:
It's tough.
I second that! I wanted to go up north in September, but it's looking like a little later than that I think. I'm having a tough time with money myself. Florida has low wages, and they do NOT keep up with the cost of living at all...

Old 05-22-2008, 07:12 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,753,959 times
Quote:
Depends on what you think is reasonable, but around $1000 month is pretty normal. It's more in the cities, of course.

You could get a room in a house with some other guys for less.
1000 gets you a very very decent 1 bedroom almost anywhere in FL. You can find a place that's old but clean, in a neighborhood that you don't have too high of a chance of get mugged in for around 750 around Ft. Lauderdale which has the most expensive rental market in the state, which means it's only cheaper elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,918,426 times
Do yourself the biggest favor and finish up school in MN. If you so much desire to live in FL then stay in MN, get an education and either through your own searching, job fair or head hunter, get a decent job in FL.

FL, despite how nice it really is, is expensive, live anywhere cheap and you are basically living in the crime filled ghetto or if its rural then there is nothing around for many miles, Keaton Beach comes to mind.

If you really want an adventure, then go teach english abroad for awhile, I have several friends doing that now, just for the free stays in various countries. Thailand will blow FL away anyday as far as weather and social activities.

You may also look into bartending and things like that, when I lived in Greece, many bartenders were from other countries, though I did not run into any from America.

As far as the ethnic community you desire, there are bonuses to that, being around a familiar culture is great and familier food is even better. But watch out for that as many communties create for themselves an isolation effect and do not get to really experience what America is about.

Here in Chattanooga we have an excellent Greek community, we even attend the Greek church here, very friendly people and all are very successful here, mostly in property and diners.

Or just say heck with it and join the Navy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Do yourself the biggest favor and finish up school in MN. If you so much desire to live in FL then stay in MN, get an education and either through your own searching, job fair or head hunter, get a decent job in FL.

FL, despite how nice it really is, is expensive, live anywhere cheap and you are basically living in the crime filled ghetto or if its rural then there is nothing around for many miles, Keaton Beach comes to mind.

If you really want an adventure, then go teach english abroad for awhile, I have several friends doing that now, just for the free stays in various countries. Thailand will blow FL away anyday as far as weather and social activities.

You may also look into bartending and things like that, when I lived in Greece, many bartenders were from other countries, though I did not run into any from America.

As far as the ethnic community you desire, there are bonuses to that, being around a familiar culture is great and familier food is even better. But watch out for that as many communties create for themselves an isolation effect and do not get to really experience what America is about.

Here in Chattanooga we have an excellent Greek community, we even attend the Greek church here, very friendly people and all are very successful here, mostly in property and diners.

Or just say heck with it and join the Navy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess I may have to end up finishing school here. It seems like the "easiest" option for me...though, in my mind, not necessarily the best. My life is so bland these days.
I don't know though...part of me really just wants to start up a business with my best friend who would go down there with me. I feel that, even if I do get my education here, living in FL will be tough anyways, because I'll have rent, etc, and my tuition payments to pay off as well!

It just really seems like a lose/lose situation sometimes, no matter which way I go.

And I thought about teaching English other places as well, such as Greece, Montenegro, or Croatia. But I don't really know if I'd truly be able to be THAT MUCH of a plane ride away from my family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or