U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:14 PM

1,454 posts, read 3,924,219 times

Advertisements

Hey there everyone, I'm new here and looking for some answers?

I live in northern Minnesota, in the Twin Ports area. I love my city in the summer...it really is one of the most beautiful places you can be. Sure, it's boring sometimes, but then again I'm a teen (19) that doesn't like to party too hard. Only with good friends. So, I'm not looking for any wild crazy party towns, but, here's the situation:

Like I said, I'm 19, and I know I'm young but I'm getting sick of these winters. They can be about 40 or 50 below with windchill, and start basically in November and end in March. Though cold weather lasts a long time before and after that. Infact, we just had a blizzard in April. APRIL. They say April showers bring May flowers? Pft! We only have three months of nice weather, and June is actually debateable. Rainy and cloudy most of the month.

After taking a trip down to the Caribbean in January (my first time being on a plane somewhere), I saw how nice life can be even in the WINTER. I could walk on the beach with my shirt off and swimming shorts and feel like it was July here. I was absolutely amazed. I then got to thinking "Dang, there is way more to life than this." I want to get out of here! (And I'm definitely considering Florida)

I work at Northern Tool + Equipment up here, and it's a pretty steady job. I go to college as well. I'm still in my early years of college (community college, it's cheaper), so I'm not supporting any major university. And if I was to move down to Florida, I'd want a city that had a northern (preferrably Tampa?) I was in St. Pete before, for an about a 2 week vacation. So I've been to Sarisota, Clearwater, St. Pete, etc. I absolutely loved the area.

It seems like I rambled a lot, but it leads me to my main question. If I was to move down here, would it be tough? I could basically have a guaranteed job down there to start out with. I heard getting in-state residency doesn't take all too long, so I'm not that concerned about schooling.

Can someone help me out here? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 02:53 PM

Anyone? I've been anxious as to see what people think.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:03 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,175,770 times
You need to live here a year before you can get residency for school tuition. Jobs are tough to find here now, and the cost of living is not cheap.

On the other hand, you are young, you have no real commitments and you could share an apartment with some other kids. If you had reasonable expectations, and didn't live to high on the hog, you could make it, and you would probably enjoy it. What do you have to lose?

Old 05-19-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilybeans View Post
You need to live here a year before you can get residency for school tuition. Jobs are tough to find here now, and the cost of living is not cheap.

On the other hand, you are young, you have no real commitments and you could share an apartment with some other kids. If you had reasonable expectations, and didn't live to high on the hog, you could make it, and you would probably enjoy it. What do you have to lose?
So basically, I'd have to lay off college for a year? I guess I would do that anywhere I would move to. I mean, it really doesn't matter to me anymore. I don't find my self too UNHAPPY here, but I barely find myself HAPPY.

About committments, well, I do have a car payment, insurance (which would probably be more expensive if I wasn't under my dad's), cell phone payments, gas, etc. Those take up a lot of the money I make now.

I mean, I guess I could find people to live with, but I guess what I'm asking is... is it unrealistic, what I want? My parents are stubborn, and won't support me going anywhere else. But I really don't want to live with them anymore. I get along just fine with my dad, but 5/7 days, I can't stand my mom...and that isn't too healthy for me, I'd think. I just want a change, but sometimes I'm scared that I might not make it...

Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 PM

15,087 posts, read 30,924,601 times
Hey, since you are so young I say GO FOR IT! Why not come here and give it a try for a while - you've got plenty of time! I think you will really enjoy living somewhere in the Tampa/St. Pete area - Tampa has more of a "city" feel, and St. Pete has the more laid back beach-town feel. There are community colleges in the area, and if your bills are low and you say you have a "guaranteed job for awhile" you should be fine.

I say you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. If it doesn't work out you can go back. Good luck to you!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:27 PM

2,143 posts, read 7,175,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Hey, since you are so young I say GO FOR IT! Why not come here and give it a try for a while - you've got plenty of time! I think you will really enjoy living somewhere in the Tampa/St. Pete area - Tampa has more of a "city" feel, and St. Pete has the more laid back beach-town feel. There are community colleges in the area, and if your bills are low and you say you have a "guaranteed job for awhile" you should be fine.

I say you have nothing to lose by giving it a try. If it doesn't work out you can go back. Good luck to you!
I agree completely. Now is the time in your life to do this.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,500,363 times
1 year residency is true for tuition. You will have to save up before you come here so you have money to fall back on. There are nearly no factory type jobs here. I know, I'm from Mass. and there are a lot of manufacturing jobs there, none here. I don't know what you do, but you will need a job here right away, it's NOT cheap to live in Fl. anymore. Sarasota is VERY expensive, beautiful, and nice, but expensive. Bradenton is not far behind. Tampa you have to watch out where you live, lots of Ghetto there, St. Pete, and clearwater are not cheap either. Nor is it where I am(Cape Coral/Fort Myers). Forget Orlando too... Look very closely online and do your homework on FL. There are always people on here to help you with where to, and where NOT to live down here. Good luck.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:12 AM

Okay, 1 year isn't too bad. Does anybody know if I'd be able to be considered independent if I still had car insurance with my dad, a cell phone family plan with my dad, and health/dental covered by my dad's work?
Anyways, I'm not really a factory worker type guy. I'm more interested in working with people. As well as managing, or being a "boss." I eventually want to be my own boss, so I'd like a place where I'd eventually be able to start a business.
I was in Florida when I was 13, and like I said above, I was in the Pinellas county area. St. Petes, Clearwater, etc. But one place we also went was a lovely city called Tarpon Springs. I remember being there, and SERIOUSLY being like "I wish I lived here." It's a small place, with a big Greek community, and I found that awesome.. It feels like everything is within walking distance, and eveyone just seems happy around there. Are there jobs there? Apartments to rent?
I want to take a trip back there again. I'm part Greek, so a place with a community like that would be awesome.
And speaking of communities based on heritage: Are there any ex-Yugo communities? Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Montenegrin? If so, where?

Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 AM

3,633 posts, read 8,500,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
Okay, 1 year isn't too bad. Does anybody know if I'd be able to be considered independent if I still had car insurance with my dad, a cell phone family plan with my dad, and health/dental covered by my dad's work?
Anyways, I'm not really a factory worker type guy. I'm more interested in working with people. As well as managing, or being a "boss." I eventually want to be my own boss, so I'd like a place where I'd eventually be able to start a business.
I was in Florida when I was 13, and like I said above, I was in the Pinellas county area. St. Petes, Clearwater, etc. But one place we also went was a lovely city called Tarpon Springs. I remember being there, and SERIOUSLY being like "I wish I lived here." It's a small place, with a big Greek community, and I found that awesome.. It feels like everything is within walking distance, and eveyone just seems happy around there. Are there jobs there? Apartments to rent?
I want to take a trip back there again. I'm part Greek, so a place with a community like that would be awesome.
And speaking of communities based on heritage: Are there any ex-Yugo communities? Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian/Montenegrin? If so, where?
Miami is huge in different cultures.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Miami is huge in different cultures.
Sad thing is, I've heard only bad things about Miami. Beautiful city...beautiful beautiful city. but I heard how EXPENSIVE it is to live there, lack of jobs, and all the problems...=/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or