U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 01:14 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,283,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icor1031 View Post
For reference:

In SD, I pay $61/mo for my challenger.

In Brandon (near Tampa), it was going to be about $250/mo.

In Kissimmee, a little higher; about $260/mo.

West of Orlando about 15 minutes, about $170/mo.

Tallahassee would have been about $174/mo.

Based on the data I've seen, I'd expect Gainesville to be about $150/mo.

---

How do you feel about Gainesville? What's it like to live there, coming from Broward?
We pay for 2 cars $180 a month, as a comparison. I really like Gainesville. My husband had accepted a job up here about 6 years ago, but was strongly considering retirement and we felt that if things didn’t work out, we would move back to Broward County. I work remotely so my job wasn’t a problem.

I was surprised how much I fell in love with Gainesville though. When my husband decided to retire we both felt it should be in Gainesville. The nature, wetlands, parks, trails—it’s an outdoorsy town. If you like fitness, you’d find a niche here. Very friendly people. It’s not uncommon for the neighbors to organize cookouts and other types of get-togethers. Compared to South Florida, the cost of living is much lower too.

I like the weather better up here. When we want to go to the beach, there’s St. Augustine/Crescent, which you can make into a day trip, or stay longer and go to Jax, or even Tampa/St. Pete. We just got back from Tampa last week actually, and I can see why you would like it—very nice city.

I still go down to South Florida about 3, 4 times a year to see clients and I don’t miss the area at all. Very congested, little to no change in seasons, and just a rat race. Gainesville is far more peaceful and laid back.

I can’t advise you about the dating scene but there is a Gainesville Reddit community and you might be able to get some additional insight there. Just a thought.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 02:52 AM

63 posts, read 35,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
We pay for 2 cars $180 a month, as a comparison. I really like Gainesville. My husband had accepted a job up here about 6 years ago, but was strongly considering retirement and we felt that if things didn’t work out, we would move back to Broward County. I work remotely so my job wasn’t a problem.

I was surprised how much I fell in love with Gainesville though. When my husband decided to retire we both felt it should be in Gainesville. The nature, wetlands, parks, trails—it’s an outdoorsy town. If you like fitness, you’d find a niche here. Very friendly people. It’s not uncommon for the neighbors to organize cookouts and other types of get-togethers. Compared to South Florida, the cost of living is much lower too.

I like the weather better up here. When we want to go to the beach, there’s St. Augustine/Crescent, which you can make into a day trip, or stay longer and go to Jax, or even Tampa/St. Pete. We just got back from Tampa last week actually, and I can see why you would like it—very nice city.

I still go down to South Florida about 3, 4 times a year to see clients and I don’t miss the area at all. Very congested, little to no change in seasons, and just a rat race. Gainesville is far more peaceful and laid back.

I can’t advise you about the dating scene but there is a Gainesville Reddit community and you might be able to get some additional insight there. Just a thought.

That sounds nice. I'm from a small city in South Dakota, and one of our main attractions is the hiking opportunity. Plus having parks, trails, etc. is good for my photo work. And yeah I'm into fitness -- mostly gym work though (strength training).

A major concern would be whether there's much market for photo and video work, and whether I can charge much for it (lots of poor students?).

I'm planning to go on another road trip as soon as I can to check out both Greensboro and hopefully Gainesville. If I can, maybe I'll spend a few days in each; that should give me a good idea of what it's like to date there. I don't really trust reddit largely because (based on a study) a large majority of young women self-report that they would not do a large age-gap relationship. But like many other self-reports, the reality of they'd do when faced with an opportunity does not match their self-reports. That said, I'd have to test the waters and see what that specific area/culture is like; it's possible the girls there would indeed not do an age gap... But generally, many women are quite happy to date up; women mature earlier, and older men make good (e.g. emotionally-safe) partners and offer more security. Thankfully in my case, I'm also reasonably good-looking. By the way, I'm majoring in psych.

Perhaps as far as dating, my bigger concerns are be how busy students are with schoolwork, and whether they'd be happy staying in Gainesville after graduating... I want a relationship, not just an occasional sex buddy.

Last edited by icor1031; 01-06-2022 at 03:14 AM..

Old 01-06-2022, 07:20 AM

When you visit, check out the downtown, and the midtown areas. Midtown is known as the rowdy college area as UF is right there as the central hub. Downtown also has it’s share of students, but mixed in is a bit older crowd of locals. There’s lots of local eclectic restaurants and during the weekends, free open-air entertainment at Bo Diddly plaza.

Depending on how long you’re staying, check out Gainesville Health & Fitness if you like weight training. The main gym is off of Newberry Road. It’s huge—2 stories. Our family membership is $80 a month. We were paying $250 in SFLA!!!

I think there’s photo/video work to be had, but it would involve your typical networking. Like the rest of the state, Gainesville is seeing a lot of growth and we’ve got several new housing developments, mostly on the western part of the city. Some of these are huge ones, many with homes approaching in the $700-$1 million range. These are not the poor college students.

Speaking of poor students, the impression is that many of them come from wealth themselves as new fancy apartments are being built near campus to meet demand. It’s raising rents, and yet there’s students who seem to be able to afford it.

Good luck in your search. You’re smart to visit beforehand and do reconnaissance work.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 AM

7,037 posts, read 3,778,201 times
Quote:
Should I have much opportunity as a self-employed portrait photographer and videographer? I'm a perfectionist and prefer to produce high-quality work, and would charge accordingly. With the relatively low total population and with so many being students, I'm very concerned about this.

I also do food delivery. I was in Tallahassee for a few days and it sucked for that; the roads were terrible, the restaurant locations were inconvenient, the delivery locations were mostly difficult to access, and the tips were low... Should Gainesville be much better?

What's the social scene like, what is there to do besides bar crawling? I'm much more into the daylife scene than nightlife.

Are the people very friendly, is it easy to make friends?

Although other factors are important, dating is my main reason for wanting to move and I'm not shy about that. Note: I'm a male. Where I live in South Dakota, there are 40% more young men than women. Competition is brutal. And being a small, conservative town with a traditional mindset, everyone is either already taken or not open to dating someone outside their small circle of friends.

Is Gainesville a place where people like to stay? Based on the stats (the population leaves when they turn 21, i.e. as soon as they graduate), I get the impression that college kids hate the area. And I don't want to have to move and close my business because my partner hates the city I found her in (I prefer college-aged girls).

Is it difficult to meet women in real-life and get a date? That is, are there many decent venues that a lot of eligible ladies attend? Or should I have much luck in grocery stores, etc.? I'm not a fan of online dating.

Are women very open to being approached? The contrast between my city and Tallahassee was shocking. Women there were so much friendlier when I expressed interest in them.

...I visited Tampa and I LOVED it; it's almost everything I want. The people are wonderfully easy-going, and the women are beautiful and take care of themselves. Sadly though, I can't afford the auto insurance there. I know insurance is quite a bit cheaper in Gainesville.
Do you plan to dump her when she ages out of college?

So the decision tree looks like this:

Pro Gainsville: younger girls; cheaper insurance
Con Gainsville: getting dates
Pro Tamps: beautiful, well kept women;
Con Tampa: more expensive insurance

Never thought I'd be in favor of higher insurance rates as a means to filter prospective new residents.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
When you visit, check out the downtown, and the midtown areas. Midtown is known as the rowdy college area as UF is right there as the central hub. Downtown also has it’s share of students, but mixed in is a bit older crowd of locals. There’s lots of local eclectic restaurants and during the weekends, free open-air entertainment at Bo Diddly plaza.

Depending on how long you’re staying, check out Gainesville Health & Fitness if you like weight training. The main gym is off of Newberry Road. It’s huge—2 stories. Our family membership is $80 a month. We were paying $250 in SFLA!!!

I think there’s photo/video work to be had, but it would involve your typical networking. Like the rest of the state, Gainesville is seeing a lot of growth and we’ve got several new housing developments, mostly on the western part of the city. Some of these are huge ones, many with homes approaching in the $700-$1 million range. These are not the poor college students.

Speaking of poor students, the impression is that many of them come from wealth themselves as new fancy apartments are being built near campus to meet demand. It’s raising rents, and yet there’s students who seem to be able to afford it.

Good luck in your search. You’re smart to visit beforehand and do reconnaissance work.
$250!? Wow. I imagine SFLA is similar to Tampa... What else might likely be really expensive in Tampa, besides housing?

As a student and living in SD, I pay $25/mo for my gym membership, and if I wasn't a student I would pay only $45.

And I prefer networking as a means of advertising, rather than paying for ads or working social media. So that part sounds good to me.

From what I'm hearing from you gents, Gainesville sounds better than I was expecting, and much better than Tallahassee (I spent a few days there).

A question for you: I planned to continue offering photo and video work shooting wedding, seniors, etc., but I hoped to make commercial video work my main source of income. For example, videos of gyms with an interview of the owner which he might use either on his own website, youtube, or TV, to generate more business. Do you think there would be much opportunity for this type of work?

Last edited by icor1031; 01-06-2022 at 01:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2022, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Glad to help. I’ll be interested to hear what kind of rates you can get in the zip codes I recommended. I’m pretty sure they’ll be lower than Brandon.
I called just now and asked to get all three of those quoted, so we should know soon.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:48 PM

Covid really did a number on the wedding industry. I heard of people rescheduling weddings twice. I think there would be good opportunities for commercial video work, especially in the restaurant industry, as there are more and more mom and pop places opening up, and also in the real estate industry, with so many developments, apartments and retail shops going up.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:25 PM

44 posts, read 39,747 times
Quote:
Should I have much opportunity as a self-employed portrait photographer and videographer? I'm a perfectionist and prefer to produce high-quality work, and would charge accordingly. With the relatively low total population and with so many being students, I'm very concerned about this.

I also do food delivery. I was in Tallahassee for a few days and it sucked for that; the roads were terrible, the restaurant locations were inconvenient, the delivery locations were mostly difficult to access, and the tips were low... Should Gainesville be much better?

What's the social scene like, what is there to do besides bar crawling? I'm much more into the daylife scene than nightlife.

Are the people very friendly, is it easy to make friends?

Although other factors are important, dating is my main reason for wanting to move and I'm not shy about that. Note: I'm a male. Where I live in South Dakota, there are 40% more young men than women. Competition is brutal. And being a small, conservative town with a traditional mindset, everyone is either already taken or not open to dating someone outside their small circle of friends.

Is Gainesville a place where people like to stay? Based on the stats (the population leaves when they turn 21, i.e. as soon as they graduate), I get the impression that college kids hate the area. And I don't want to have to move and close my business because my partner hates the city I found her in (I prefer college-aged girls).

Is it difficult to meet women in real-life and get a date? That is, are there many decent venues that a lot of eligible ladies attend? Or should I have much luck in grocery stores, etc.? I'm not a fan of online dating.

Are women very open to being approached? The contrast between my city and Tallahassee was shocking. Women there were so much friendlier when I expressed interest in them.

...I visited Tampa and I LOVED it; it's almost everything I want. The people are wonderfully easy-going, and the women are beautiful and take care of themselves. Sadly though, I can't afford the auto insurance there. I know insurance is quite a bit cheaper in Gainesville.
As a burned-out lawyer turned professional photographer I can tell you this, with every single person having a camera at their fingertips, it is very difficult to get started in the industry. Everyone wants it cheap.

I only do commercial work and currently only for one company and have never done weddings or photoshoots unless it's friends. But my friends who do that sort of work have had a rough go recently.

As for preferring college-aged girls - that's great if you are 20 something, creepy if you are over 30.

Old 01-06-2022, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrllkllER View Post
As a burned-out lawyer turned professional photographer I can tell you this, with every single person having a camera at their fingertips, it is very difficult to get started in the industry. Everyone wants it cheap.

I only do commercial work and currently only for one company and have never done weddings or photoshoots unless it's friends. But my friends who do that sort of work have had a rough go recently.

As for preferring college-aged girls - that's great if you are 20 something, creepy if you are over 30.
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to move to video work. Even if I shoot four seniors a week at my rate of $435 per session, that's effectively only half as much as I'd make as a remote web developer (a skill I also have).

... And I'm not going to get four shoots per week. Not likely.

Is your commercial work photo or video?

Video commercial work might take me 1-2 days for a shoot that I can charge $3,000+ for. Good video work isn't saturated like photography is. For photos, you can buy a pair of used Canon 6D for $1,000 total, a 24-70 and 70-200 lens for about $2,200, and then some off-camera flash units for $100 and you're set. You have everything you need for less than $4,000 and you can shoot weddings, and decent portraits.

For video, a single used C200 and its basic accessories will cost me over $3,000.

Then there are the microphones that cost over $200 each, and the voice recorders, the tripods/mic stands, the gimbal, the drone, and the need for multiple C200 units. On top of all that gear, it requires a much more complex skill set.

For the age thing, I don't agree with you in the slightest. And no one in Tampa or Tallahassee that I met expressed that mindset either, they were encouraging. A lot of women prefer older men partially because males mature later/slower; a 20yo girl with a 20yo guy will tend to get frustrated.

The main thing to keep in mind is that more than anything in a relationship, women seek security. Older men have this; physically, emotionally, and financially. It's common for women to get with men even 20-30 years older.

Not that it should matter, but I'll tell you that I do not get along with the vast majority of single women close to my age. They're defensive, argumentative, demanding, boring, distrusting and somewhat hateful toward men. Whether they're single because they were this way initially, or they became this way after a decade of abusive men, this is the typical result. At least in my experience.

Married chicks my age tend to be decent people, but... they're married. I can't have them.

Last edited by icor1031; 01-06-2022 at 05:49 PM..

Old 01-07-2022, 04:48 PM

44 posts, read 39,747 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's why I'm trying to move to video work. Even if I shoot four seniors a week at my rate of $435 per session, that's effectively only half as much as I'd make as a remote web developer (a skill I also have).

... And I'm not going to get four shoots per week. Not likely.

Is your commercial work photo or video?

Video commercial work might take me 1-2 days for a shoot that I can charge $3,000+ for. Good video work isn't saturated like photography is. For photos, you can buy a pair of used Canon 6D for $1,000 total, a 24-70 and 70-200 lens for about $2,200, and then some off-camera flash units for $100 and you're set. You have everything you need for less than $4,000 and you can shoot weddings, and decent portraits.

For video, a single used C200 and its basic accessories will cost me over $3,000.

Then there are the microphones that cost over $200 each, and the voice recorders, the tripods/mic stands, the gimbal, the drone, and the need for multiple C200 units. On top of all that gear, it requires a much more complex skill set.

For the age thing, I don't agree with you in the slightest. And no one in Tampa or Tallahassee that I met expressed that mindset either, they were encouraging. A lot of women prefer older men partially because males mature later/slower; a 20yo girl with a 20yo guy will tend to get frustrated.

The main thing to keep in mind is that more than anything in a relationship, women seek security. Older men have this; physically, emotionally, and financially. It's common for women to get with men even 20-30 years older.

Not that it should matter, but I'll tell you that I do not get along with the vast majority of single women close to my age. They're defensive, argumentative, demanding, boring, distrusting and somewhat hateful toward men. Whether they're single because they were this way initially, or they became this way after a decade of abusive men, this is the typical result. At least in my experience.

Married chicks my age tend to be decent people, but... they're married. I can't have them.
I do not do any video work. The company I work for has it's own video team. They work on salary vs by the event, but are kept pretty busy.

I'm not your standard photographer and am actually pretty ****ty with people. But I spent a lot more than $4000 on all my cameras and equipment. But that was over a period of years. It's not all about point and shoot to become a good portrait photographer, the setup of the scene be it a wedding or engagement photos etc is very important and those with a good natural eye and great ideas and good editing skills are in high demand or can be. It's the time spent editing that eats into your profit and that $435 a session adds up to less than minimum wage if you aren't a quick editor. But nobody seems to want to pay for the skills and talent and time it takes to become a great photographer, and don't get me started on influencers wanting it for free. I realize video isn't the same as you are capturing a scene, but people are cheap with that too.

I mainly do architecture, but recent work has included a boat show, an art gallery exhibit, a very cool car show. Lots of high-end homes remodels etc. Bridges are kinda my thing as well. I don't own the rights to the work, but I don't have to spend my own money on any supplies etc. Kind of a trade off. Get perdeim for trips and get to travel a lot...well used to, was picking up, but next shoot has been postponed. I spend a lot of time alone with the subject, be it a car or a boat etc. It's not exciting, but there isn't a lot of editing work to be done like with portraits etc, no cleaning up a kids zits or fly away hair. My pictures have to look just like the item I'm shooting, so over-editing isn't a thing like the standard beach/wedding/senior portraits etc.

But I do take my own photographs as well and have a decent portfolio of work on Shutterstock. That's easy money, not a lot unless you have a unique take on things. I also sell on Etsy. Can't do that with portraits or weddings etc. It takes some creativity and paying attention to what is popular in artwork that people will want to download.

But on to the real subject here...I outsourced the response to the age thing to my 19 year college student daughter. One word - gross. If you think that the only thing that college students are looking for is security, you are going to wind up a whiney, needy superficial gold digger. (Her words). She read your entire discussion on the cost of car insurance and said if you can't afford the higher insurance of Tampa you definitely won't be providing the type of security that that type of girl is interested in. Again her words, not mine. But harsh right? She will not need any man of any age to provide physical, emotional or financial security.

And in my prior life, I was a lawyer who worked for Wealth Mangament company and my specialty was a Certified Divorce Financial Analyst. So money and love or the lack thereof are my specialties. And no it's not common for women to get with someone 20-30 years older. Sure we had the super-rich clients with the super young 2nd or 3rd wives but off the top of my head that was probably less than 2% of our clients and it was a national company so might be a good sample of the general population. I can tell you that prenups to protect assets and make sure it was real love are an eye opener for many young women (and men) who think they hit the lottery. Of course many are in it just for the "transaction" of that type of marriage but many are shocked to know they are essentially treated just like property in a marriage.

So don't do yourself or those you try to date a disservice of thinking it's the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida