U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM

5,312 posts, read 8,131,308 times

Advertisements

JM1822, if I could increase your reputation more than once, I would. Thanks for a great post. And, thanks for the work you do, too. I hope this puts a final cap on this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 PM

749 posts, read 2,093,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Take the ticket to court and fight it.
No way, then they get overtime and an easy day. I told a cop once, I'll see you in court and he say's "Go ahead, I get OT." Sure enough, I did some research and the Feds give every county extra hundreds of thousands of dollars in a fund soley for cop court appearances.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,129,643 times
Very good points JM1822.

I have a friend up north who is just getting back to work. He's a state trooper. He's been off work for three years because he was hurt so badly when a semi plowed into him while he was on a traffic stop. It's truly amazing he survived.

As for the rest of the discussion... sure, there are some crooked cops. Just like there are jerks in every profession. That's the way it goes. It doesn't make it right, but it is what it is. However, the vast majority of them are good people who are just trying to do their job; I've known many cops, and they've all fallen into this category. What is the issue with trying to make it a bit safer for them? I have no problem with the move over law.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,275 times
Default Move over law

I was driving in the right hand lane on I4 with the traffic going around 50 mph, I assumed there was an wreck. I could not see because there was a semi truck in from of me going to exit at the weigh station. I was going to exit the next exit. When the truck exited there was a cop car right at the exit with the lights on. There as nothing I could do but slow down as fast as I could. There was a second cop car about 20-25 feet past that with no lights on. By the time I passed the second cop car I look down and was going 37 mph. There was no way I could get over. The second cop car pulled me over and I flat out told the cop that they set a trap and there was no way to see their cars due to the truck exiting to the weigh station. The officer admitted it was a trap and gave me a ticket for $153. I have nothing against cops, but traps like that should be against the law.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:11 PM

5,312 posts, read 8,131,308 times
Perhaps if you hadn't been following the truck as closely you might have had more time to slow down or react to the situation? Either way, I am sorry you received a ticket but you did apparently violate the law. Fortunately, you can argue and probably win your case.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:09 AM

6,346 posts, read 4,142,837 times
There will be police departments that abuse move over laws for the sake of revenue. I say abuse, by setting up cars on the side of the road with lights on for no reason and cars waiting just past them to write tickets. I heard about this happening by someone living in North Carolina in an adjacent town to where it is happening.

Even if you do everything right, it is your word against theirs. There is one way to defend against this that I use. I have an Android phone with a dash mount. I drilled a hole in the mount so the camera can look ahead. I found a free app that allows you to use your phone as a dash cam, with an option to record your speed via gps. I found the speed to be very accurate. If I lived in an area where they set up traps like this I would use it all the time. The app is called Daily Roads. Check it out. I have started using this more in MD, since I started seeing signs put up by the state to move over and slow down when safety vehicles are on the side of the road. That means they have enabled the traps here.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM

161 posts, read 345,973 times
I will not touch on the entrapment issue but as far as Move Over laws, I am 100% in favor of them. I own a roadside assistance company and have several friends who work for other R.A. companies. It is very scary being on the side of the highway changing a tire when cars & trucks are flying by literally inches away from you. Unfortunately just two weeks ago a good friend was killed in Virginia changing a tire. Please remember those officers, roadside assistance workers, road workers & stranded motorists are someones loved one, please slow down and move over.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,118 times
I was just talking to my girlfriend on the bluetooth raising my voice because that's all she understands good person though, but don't want want her to leave my underage kids alone. While doing so an officer just gave me a ticket tonight because he thought I was yelling at him. He gave me a ticket for failing to move over. I actually did move over after lane was clear to do so. He clearly abused his power. He seemed to be pumped up on steriords yelling at folks for no reason. I respect officers but I'm hoping this loss of tax revenue accross the states from housing values, will encourge management to lay off the bad apples they suck and they have the power to give tickets when you don't deserve it, and I pay ther're salary from my taxes what a bad deal.

Old 02-14-2012, 12:51 PM

209 posts, read 459,392 times
My husband and I always practiced "move over" before there even was a law. When we moved from FL to SC a few years ago we were flabbergasted to find that it's common practice here for officers to pull over people in the CENTER TURN LANE of a 5 lane 45 mph road! It seems like it's SOOOOOO unsafe!! Yet I see it all the time. It makes me nervous for the officers, the person pulled over, and the cars traveling in either direction next to them. Absolutely ridiculous!

Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM

16,135 posts, read 20,776,275 times
There has to be a Law Enforcement Reason for the Police Officer to be there, they can't just set up a trap, that is entrapment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida