U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:51 PM

7 posts, read 25,040 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a ticket in Cape Coral for not slowing down when two cop cars were sitting on the side of the bridge. On the ticket it states Move Over Act as the reason for the ticket. As far as I understood everything I have ever been told or read about the Move Over Act, you had to either slow down or change lanes. My husband was in the opposite lane and slowed down as soon as he was able to and still got a ticket! Also, the cops were sitting as soon as you go over the top of the bridge, so you can't really see them until you are were they are. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had problems with this or maybe I am misunderstanding the laws...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,692 times
Its called entrapment. And Cops wonder why everyone hates them. My wife just got pulled over and was given a $115 ticket. They had a cop car pulled over on the far right lane with its lights on and pulled over every vehicle that passed and gave them a ticket!! I am so pissed at these corrupt Cops!!!!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:05 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,476,781 times
If there is an emergency vehicle of any kind (police, fire truck, EMT, etc) you have to get out of the lane closest to them. It's a little difficult when it comes up on you suddenly and 1) don't have time, or 2) there's a car in the other lane. That's the first I've heard of them doing a trap to actually catch people not switching. Maybe it's so they can "get the word out" about this law that no one knows about.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:37 PM

5,302 posts, read 8,104,988 times
Not everyone hates cops and those who do are typically the people that the police protect the rest of us from. What is so difficult about pulling over and/or slowing down when you see any car on the side of the road and, if you see a car with flashing lights, don't ya think maybe there's a better than everage chance that someone might actually open a car door or be walking around on the side of the road? Have you ever seen the video of the cop who was smacked by a side view mirror of a truck that came too close? Suck it up, behave, and be courteous, not just to cops but to everyone. Try it. It feels good.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:25 AM

2,602 posts, read 7,174,104 times
So was he coming in the opposite direction? How many lanes does the road have? Is there a median?

Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 AM

8,488 posts, read 17,870,378 times
* On a two-lane roadway, you are required to slow to a speed that is 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit.

* If the speed limit is 20 miles per hour or less, you must slow down to five miles per hour.

* If you are driving on an interstate or roadway with multiple lanes of travel in the same direction, and you approach an emergency or law enforcement vehicle parked along the roadway, you must vacate the lane closest to that vehicle as soon as it is safe to do so. If you are not able to safely move over, you must slow down to a speed of 20 MPH below the posted speed limit unless directed otherwise by a law enforcement officer.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:54 AM

509 posts, read 1,477,252 times
Law enforcement officer's lives are endangered and often lost by drivers who plow into them while they are doing their jobs. When you put their lives at risk by not obeying the law, you get a ticket.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:20 AM

711 posts, read 1,624,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahastar View Post
Law enforcement officer's lives are endangered and often lost by drivers who plow into them while they are doing their jobs.
If it's true that LEOs are often killed by drivers, you will no doubt have some statistics backing that up. I suspect that this, like many laws supposedly based on "cop safety", has no basis in fact. A cop or two got killed? Sorry, that's not evidence of a trend.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 AM

128 posts, read 340,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
If it's true that LEOs are often killed by drivers, you will no doubt have some statistics backing that up. I suspect that this, like many laws supposedly based on "cop safety", has no basis in fact. A cop or two got killed? Sorry, that's not evidence of a trend.
Here are your stats that you want. Someone runs into a parked law enforcement vehicle about once every day in the state of Florida.

From the FHP website: During the five-year period of 1996 to 2000, motorists in Florida crashed into working law enforcement vehicles that were either stopped or parked along Florida roadways 1,793 times, resulting in five deaths and 419 injuries

Old 02-13-2011, 12:01 PM

711 posts, read 1,624,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JM1822 View Post
From the FHP website: During the five-year period of 1996 to 2000, motorists in Florida crashed into working law enforcement vehicles that were either stopped or parked along Florida roadways 1,793 times, resulting in five deaths and 419 injuries
One cop a year gets killed? In a state with 18 million people it's hardly evidence there's a general problem with cops getting mowed down by motorists. Those are probably clumped too. That is, there are years in which zero cops get killed. Cop deaths are regrettable, but that's statistical noise.

Note that the law was passed in 2002, eight years ago. That's a long time. Why isn't FHP touting more recent stats that would, if Move Over was indeed effective at improving officer safety, show the sometimes severe traffic slowdowns caused by Move Over actually resulted in fewer deaths and injuries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida