U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 03:47 AM

16 posts, read 88,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
Destin does not have a high school. They have to attend Niceville High School across the bay. One of the best if not the best HS in Florida.
Actually they have a choice between Niceville and Ft.Walton High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 8,257 times
My husband and I have been wanting to move to a better climate.
We have two children and have lived in the Midwest our entire lives. We are cold, bored, and the job situation is horrible were we are. We spent 8 days in Fla. looking for a town that we feel would benefit our children. We didn't make it any further south than St. Pete, but we checked out everything North of that on both sides. I fell in love w/ Destin even though we were only there for 1 day!
We have some questions. My husband wants to move further south because he doesn't want any more cold winters. Also, he thinks Destin is too far from any action (orlando) for the kids. He's thinking we should check out someplace between St.Pete and Naples. Any comments are appreciated.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:49 PM

807 posts, read 2,820,561 times
It's all about your personal preference. Folks are now going to post that their town is the best...period. I'll tell you that we raised our kids in Clearwater and the kids had LOTS of fun activities. Tampa was close and Orlando not too far for adventure parks. Soccer is played year round and jobs paid fairly well. We had little to complain about. Our youngest is 18 now and in South Walton High School (in the panhandle close to Destin) and he's lovin' life here. Surfing, girls, football, girls, soccer, girls, good job, drama club...oh and he's popular with the girls (local and tourists). The point is that we're in a slower lifestyle now (!) but the kids will always find something fun to do. Find a place you love...even if it's not in Fl. 'cuz no one will make you happy if you don't like where you live.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,828,405 times
I agree with ODB.. you need to decide what kind of place you want. Tampa is much bigger than Destin and has way more traffic every day. Your daily commute can be an hour each way.. You are close to the beach 20 minutes or longer depending on where you live in Tampa. There are plenty of things to do in Tampa Bay area from Broadway theater to festivals. Crime is more of an issue in Tampa too.

I wouldn't recommend Naples, higher cost of living and not many good paying jobs. Plus it is more of a retirement community.

Destin is more of a tourist destination. Weather will be cooler in winter and you might even see a few leaves change color in the fall.

There is good and bad about everyplace..

Old 11-20-2008, 06:56 AM

3 posts, read 18,032 times
We too came from the Midwest. I would seriously recommend North of Miami as far as a stronger economy and more jobs. Where it stays warmer longer. Their season is 8 months instead of 3 like Destin and Pensacola.

We came from central Indiana and let me tell you Florida is so different. I love it here!

We started in Destin then moved to Pensacola for a job and was recently laid off because of the economy. Pensacola is has one of the poorest counties in Florida. There is too many people for the jobs look at career builder and take out the national jobs to see. Someone has to die or leave town to get you to land a job. That is if you are a regular person not a self employed person. I am not trying to be negative but honest because our family just went through it.

Statistically though, the more revenue from the tourists, the stronger the economy. During the great depression, the state of Florida faired way better than other states because the tourists still came.

We moved to the southern area, near Miami,in Fort Lauderdale. There is an awesome train to take to Miami that is where my husband just found a great job. No traffic no hassles just get on the air conditioned train with all the doctors, lawyers and airline pilots. Not like regular transportation. Check it out it is called the tri-rail.com. I goes all the way from West Palm Beach to Miami.

Trust me on this one. Go south where the money goes for the winter. You'll prefer traffic versus desolation and lack of employment if you ever lose you job or want your kids to ever work.

Visit the emerald green versus live there. The beach here isn't as nice but it is nice. The sunrise and sunsets are awesome too. All you ever need is a sports jacket, give your winter bag to someone in need before you leave. Blessings to you!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:34 AM

286 posts, read 1,108,262 times
I agree with the idea to move south. Esp. with the worsening economy, the Destin area is service based, and without tourists, the money dries up. If you're in the military, it's a great place to live, b/c you don't have to worry about job security.

Otherwise, I would recommend looking elsewhere. Destin is beautiful, but the economy over there is going to get worse, plus we're in the dead season right now, as it's winter, and is very chilly = no tourists, except snowbirds...

Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM

142 posts, read 412,291 times
I am in Destin Florida with my two young adult children and my 18mt old grandbaby. Couple of things I have noticed in Destin and PCB. It is in fact service jobs mostly neither one of my teenagers had any problems getting a job in October 2008. Full time jobs are very few. Currently every job here is getting about 150 applications on day one. It is easier to get two part time jobs. The average pay in the winter seems to be 7.50 to 9.50 no matter what and if you are lucky.

You can forget the health insurance, the employers offer it but the price is too high. Every daycare here in Destin is full and/or running on the school system schedule. There is No MACY's and you are not going to find one within a day’s drive. Food is very limited for example very little fruit, frozen or fresh it’s hard to explain but I am use to having a large choice of food supplies (Kroger’s) and Super Wal-marts etc. It would be a challenge to find leaf lettuce.

Cleaning supplies are off the hook. If you don't mind shopping four or five different stores you possible could make out. There is a Fresh Market that recently opened but it's a little high. Currently a person can live in a resort here year round only because of the economy, that’s nice but I am not sure it’s worth it.

There is a since of depression in this area in the winter months. I believe it feels colder here in the winter than let’s say Ohio. That wet cold and wind is un believably cold. The ocean and the beach is the best in the United State. The sand is like fine sugar. The water is a beautiful emerald blue green. My grandbaby loves it.

Is it worth living here year around I don't think so. If a person is not selling real estate or doing something with real estate or running a business that closes in the winter I don't know how a person could get ahead. I’ am running my business here and experiencing life on the coast and giving my grandbaby that experience for a while but I don’t see my family and I staying here much past 2009 full time. If I were not traveling back and forth to Austin I would lose my mind.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM

7,647 posts, read 16,029,989 times
I agree with you about the job situation, but other than that, you're portraying it as some type of retail wasteland when it's simply not.

If you need a Super Walmart, there's a huge one in Destin right across from Henderson Beach state park. As for the rest of the grocery situation, there are any number of Publixes in the area with a wide variety of fresh fruit and veggies and even a wide assortments of different types of lettuce.

Same goes for cleaning supplies. Target, le Wal, and Publix for the usual suspects, Fresh Market and such for the chi-chi stuff.

IMO, Macy's is overrated. Unless you're talking one of their flagship stores, they're really not much different than Dillard's. But then I'm not into trendy clothes. Most of my wardrobe is classics from the outlet mall because I don't want to feel like I've got to give up on perfectly nice clothes just because they were last year's must have and out of style now.

But if you really need a Macy's, it's a day trip to Tallahassee.

As for the winter months, a lot of people prefer them because of the cooler weather and lack of traffic. It's just that Thanksgiving to Christmas is the quietest time of year. Things perk up after Christmas when the snowbirds start arriving en masse.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:56 AM

12,391 posts, read 24,493,959 times
oh destin...you used to be paradise back in the 80s and early 90s...
what happened to you? got greedy eh?

too bad

Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 PM

142 posts, read 412,291 times
Oh Beachmouse, I did not mean to upset you. I am very close to that Walmart and I am sorry but that is NOT a Super Walmart. For three weeks now they have had nothing but frozen stawberries and frozen rasberries. The lemons I purchased two days ago have mold on them today. The eggs that I purchased last week are bad today. Whats up with the Floor sweeper running over people in the middle of the day? Is OCEA in the house? Now when is the last time you or anyone else has purchased bad eggs. Food in this area is limited and way over priced and that is a fact.

Dillards and Macy's is not the same or if they were there would not be a Dillards and Macy's. Outlet clothes; cheep fabric and irregular cuts. Ever wonder why it takes all day to find something to wear out of an outlet mall? Ever wonder why it last 5 washes and its done? I like clothes that fit well and last wash after wash until I get tired of looking at them INC, not the other way around.

I could and would be fine here, but I believe that the locals here and pcb need food. Good healthy food for a responible price My God its Florida and their is very little fruit and veggies here. There is no excuse for it other then greed. With all of that said its a beautiful beach even nicer when you live on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or