U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 08:59 AM

187 posts, read 874,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinIhope View Post
The pictures are beautiful! Thank you for sharing those photos Makes me want to move even more to the coast.

I do believe I am more of a sun bird than a snow bird as my brother was kind enough to point out.

Thank you also for the employment stats.

Do you have any more photos to share? Those are just lovely..

I moved to Walton County from the Northeast because I could do my work anywhere and wanted a break from the long winters. I have been here 11 years and, if I had to generalize, I'd say it has been like a long vacation. I haven't missed any work, but it still feels very much like a vacation to me.

The long, grey winters were bothering me up North. Some people said it was seasonal affective so I tried to get a bunch of sun during the winter months. It didn't seem to help so I moved South. There is no more daylight here than there though.

The beaches here are beyond description. I should say that those photo's posted above look like they came from South Walton County which is just East of Destin's Okaloosa County. Maybe...

[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 10:31 AM

807 posts, read 2,826,157 times
Sunset in Destin Harbor:

Dolphins chasing the boat:

This is not Lake Erie...

Old 05-03-2009, 10:48 AM

Destin from the air:

Life at the beach can be tough...

and when I read about it being a bad place to raise kids...I just laugh

Old 05-04-2009, 12:09 AM

I have lots more, but 'enough is enough'... can you get too much of a good thing?

Old 12-10-2009, 01:49 PM

2 posts, read 22,517 times
Default PCB Tough Job Market

HI I'm looking for an office job in this area. Right now I work all nights/weekends and I'm not seeing my husbund at all. The best time to get a job here I've been told is begining of the season in Feb., March, April. Love the weather here except August, Sept. too hot!! Really frustrated with the job situation.Anybody can help me pls write me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinIhope View Post
Hello to all

I am in the process of making a move I hope to Destin. I have good friends who live there and they are begging me to move down. I grew up in WNC and moved last year out of the mountains to the North. I do not like the North at all. The winters are horrible and not to offend anyone from the North but the people are just down right rude. I want to be in a climate where the people and the weather are warm. I already have a house to move into but my worry is the job situation. I have a strong skill set in technology (trainer/educator - Cerner Millennium and Software) and I also grew up in a tourist town so I also have a strong hospitality skill set. How is the job situation in Destin? Is it hard to find employment? Someone please give me some good feedback because I am so torn about leaving a job and moving somewhere without one but I cannot live up North any longer. Also, if you would be so kind to please tell me why you like Destin?

Looking forward to your replies..

Regards,
Lost girl in the North seeking southern warmth and hospitality

Old 12-10-2009, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 22,517 times
Well, my husbund and I moved here from Dayton, OH 3 yrs ago. My husbund who has a BS degree works at Lowes and sells appliances. I've had job problems since I've been here. I've been told Feb., Mar., April best times to find a job here because the tourist season starts. I'm trying to find an office job here and very frustrated. If anybody has any tips or ideas pls let me know..

Old 03-13-2010, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 10,593 times
Where do I land in Florida to get to Destin, Florida

Old 03-13-2010, 03:53 PM

7,680 posts, read 16,095,286 times
For commercial airlines, the closest airport is in Ft. Walton Beach (airport code is VPS- search for that because every airline calls the the airport something slightly different) For general aviation, there's an airport in Destin proper.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:21 AM

2,178 posts, read 6,445,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoo922 View Post
Where do I land in Florida to get to Destin, Florida
You might also try Pensacola (PNS), rent a car, and drive to Destin (little over an hour).

Old 04-14-2010, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 10,007 times
What are the property taxes in Destin. Especially, as they relate to the schools.
If I move to Destin I don't want to be saddled with outrageous school budgets that continually go up. The average salary for a teacher where I now live is $86,000 plus benefits! What is it in Destin??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or