U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 88,217 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a forum for the Panhandle Destin area. But have not found any info. Can anyone advise me?? Looking to possibly move to that area. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 AM

3 posts, read 18,043 times
Wink Destin Area

I live in Destin with my family. The traffic backs up a bit when the tourists hit town but I think that is anywhere in Florida.

Housing costs are higher in the warmer months. You get a better deal on rentals in the winter for sure even if you are looking at a years lease. We moved from a condo to an apartment. In the summer it rents for 1450 for 3 bedroom....in the winter we got it for 1100.

Oh there are back roads to get around once you become a local you will find them..trust me!

Our kids love it here. I like the sunshine and it looks like God hand paints the clouds in the sunsets here. Just gorgeous.!

Gas is 3.83 a gallon and milk is still below 5 a gallon barely.

The job market is mostly tourism if not all. My husband's property is being sold and if they don't hire him after closing he will have to work somewhere else for the same pay. I don't know your profession but definately check and recheck the job market before moving.

The bigger the town the better. They have a bus service supposed to local; but you can go four places:

1. the mall
2. the other mall
3. the beach
4. walmart

If you work in one of these areas great but they don't pick you up along the way. If you have car trouble I think there is one taxi and he's not listed; the rest are airport shuttles only.

It is definately a tourist/fisherman town. The weather is really nice here if you can afford to live here. I am certainly not trying to be negative just stating the facts.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:01 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
There isn't a sub-forum for Destin, however I am moving your post to the FL forum, where there are folks who know more about that area

Old 05-22-2008, 04:34 PM

440 posts, read 2,241,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbug View Post
I am looking for a forum for the Panhandle Destin area. But have not found any info. Can anyone advise me?? Looking to possibly move to that area. Any feedback would be appreciated.
We live in the Destin area too .....
Would be happy to help you with anything you need to know ....
What kind of questions do you have?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 AM

2,520 posts, read 5,358,226 times
I'm in Panama City Beach, about 40 miles away from Destin. We love shopping in Destin, especially The Destin Commons. The traffic is pretty bad. You might want to check out PCB, as it's turning into a "mini Destin" now that Pier Park is here. This would be a good time to buy here.

Pier Park Information (http://www.pcbeach.org/pierparkdemographics.shtml - broken link)

This youtube was filmed back in Feb. before Pier Park opened, but it gives you an idea of how it looks.

YouTube - 2/11/2008 - What's New in PCB, Pier Park almost open

Last edited by kahncss; 05-23-2008 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 06-18-2008, 12:04 PM

15 posts, read 60,736 times
I'm exploring the possibility of moving to Destin as well. How are the public schools in Destin? Elementary, Jr. high, and High school?

Can anyone help me out with this?

Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stufrogg View Post
I'm exploring the possibility of moving to Destin as well. How are the public schools in Destin? Elementary, Jr. high, and High school?

Can anyone help me out with this?
Hey there Stufrogg,

Unfortunately we don't have kids so we can't really tell you from a personal standpoint how we feel about the school system in Destin .... though we have heard good things. Here is the website for the school system: Okaloosa County School District > Home ( DNN 4.0.2 )
We live just around the corner on the 30a in South Walton. If you would like to check out our counties school system, here is a link to that one too: Walton County Schools

Hope this helps a little.

Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 AM

15 posts, read 60,736 times
thanks 2 bohemians,

according to the website, they are the best in Florida!

They are also A rated according to the main florida education site. There are only 15 A rated districts in Florida, so they must be good.

Thanks for your input.

If anyone else in Destin has kids, can you please inform me about the public schools in Destin?

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM

164 posts, read 865,944 times
Destin does not have a high school. They have to attend Niceville High School across the bay. One of the best if not the best HS in Florida.

Old 06-19-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOnRainjer View Post
Destin does not have a high school. They have to attend Niceville High School across the bay. One of the best if not the best HS in Florida.
We've always heard great things about Niceville High School. Great to hear someone else is backing it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or