Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 12:47 PM

26 posts, read 27,128 times

Advertisements

I am back from my scouting trip. See this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...good-idea.html

I have decided to rent an apartment/condo somewhere on the Space Coast for at least one year before buying into a 55+ retirement community.

I was able to visit many communities along the east coast from Jax down to Vero and over near Orlando in
Leesburg area. I found some very nice ones around Cocoa but by the time I reached Vero Beach I decided against making a hasty decision.

I then starting looking at possible areas to rent and liked West Melbourne alot.

Since I wasn't able to look at every square foot of Brevard County I would like to ask those of you in the know, are there any other places like W. Melbourne but with rent prices like Titusville? I stayed at a hotel on rte 192 in Melbourne so I was able to see what it was like 24hrs a day and I could see myself living there no problem. Titusville averaged a few $100 cheaper per month for 1BR 1BA. No offence to anyone living in Titusville but it looked a little run-down and the bail bondsman locations on US 1 concerns me. On a positive note, I was pleasantly surprised to see no graffiti anywhere during my travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2022, 06:27 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Titusville is pulling itself up by its bootstraps after a double whammy of the recession 2006-2010 and NASA shutting down so many of its jobs not long after. Space-X and affiliated employers have re-invigorated Titusville and is becoming more apparent daily. Business is condensed along US1 since the city sits so far east of I-95 so I wouldn't let that affect your decision.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:54 PM

Thanks Kyle. I'll have another look at Titusville. Do you have any knowledge of the traffic in that area? The only real problem area I encountered as far as traffic congestion was St Augustine. It was horrific. Such a charming place but I would lose my mind living there.

Old 03-28-2022, 06:37 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digidaze View Post
Thanks Kyle. I'll have another look at Titusville. Do you have any knowledge of the traffic in that area? The only real problem area I encountered as far as traffic congestion was St Augustine. It was horrific. Such a charming place but I would lose my mind living there.
I feel the same about st Augustine but will say it's much better after 5pm when many offices close/people go home as well as the attractions responsible for much of the tourism. Evenings are usually fairly pleasant with the exception of maybe some Saturday nights. Beachside over in St Augustine Beach on Anastasia Island never really gets as busy and as a local can easily avoid the bad traffic by sticking to A1A south of Old City for your day to day activities. Without knowing your housing intent you might also look at Lincolnville, the large neighborhood south of King Street in Old City. It was settled by Freed Black slaves post-Civil War, became a historic district in 1991 and is now almost 80% white today. It's off the beaten path for tourists yet you can easily walk/bike into Old City which is a nice perk.

Titusville doesn't really have bad traffic at all outside of a couple of intersections for an hour at AM/PM rush hour. Check out the SW side, south from Knox McCrae Blvd and west of Barna Avenue extending into the unincorporated areas as well which feature some very nice older (80s-90s build) custom home communities on larger lots that are competitively priced for the current market.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I feel the same about st Augustine but will say it's much better after 5pm when many offices close/people go home as well as the attractions responsible for much of the tourism. Evenings are usually fairly pleasant with the exception of maybe some Saturday nights. Beachside over in St Augustine Beach on Anastasia Island never really gets as busy and as a local can easily avoid the bad traffic by sticking to A1A south of Old City for your day to day activities. Without knowing your housing intent you might also look at Lincolnville, the large neighborhood south of King Street in Old City. It was settled by Freed Black slaves post-Civil War, became a historic district in 1991 and is now almost 80% white today. It's off the beaten path for tourists yet you can easily walk/bike into Old City which is a nice perk.

Titusville doesn't really have bad traffic at all outside of a couple of intersections for an hour at AM/PM rush hour. Check out the SW side, south from Knox McCrae Blvd and west of Barna Avenue extending into the unincorporated areas as well which feature some very nice older (80s-90s build) custom home communities on larger lots that are competitively priced for the current market.
Funny you should mention Lincolnville because I got a little lost in St Augustine and found myself in that neighborhood and it reminded me alot of Cape May NJ ( minus the oaks with spanish moss) with the quaint shopping tourist area, history and narrow old streets. I could never afford a place there though. I'm looking at renting an apt/condo. I didn't see many options there. Thanks for helping me narrow my search area in Titusville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida