U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 06:06 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,268,422 times

Advertisements

What about fires!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 06:08 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,675,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike jones View Post
I read in the newspaper that National Hurricane Center Director Max Mayfield retired today with a warning that a hurricane ten times bigger than Katrina will strike south-east Florida and will leave thousands dead and millions homeless.

Should I seriously reconsider moving to Florida based on this??
Is anybody freaked out?

No..not freaked out, but we should be as frustrated as Max Mayfield. He wasn't necessarily talking about some monster hurricane. He was speaking of a big hurricane that could hit a heavily populated area that doesn't have a good evacuation plan and still building houses that would not withstand the winds and/or floods. We should demand more of our leaders and they should get out of the pockets of developers who build a house in weeks on filled land that not long ago was swamp. Mother Nature tends to reclaim her own.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/orl-mayfield010306,0,7433436.story?coll=orl-home-promo (broken link)

Old 01-03-2007, 06:12 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,349,758 times
continuing to build vulnerable homes in the tropical storm zone and failing to plan escape routes. Come on Max all you have to do is drive out of Florida on I-75 or I-95 and leave a week before the storm,

Old 01-03-2007, 06:12 PM

317 posts, read 1,123,624 times
Default Sunrico - luv your "always available

stats, diagrams, links, etc. You are amazing!!!

HOWEVER, I think we need to add another dimension to factor of dying....
can anyone guess what it is????????????

Blown-up by Terrorists! It is all still so familiar up here. Think of it every time I see a plane flying low. On a clear night, I can see the NYC skyline from my backyard. On "that" day, I could see and smell the smoke.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Hum hurricanes or ????

January 2006 Disasters

* Jan. 2, Sago, W.Va.: thirteen coal miners were trapped in the Sago Mine, 12 died and 1 survived. The cause of the explosion is unknown. An initial report that 12 survived turned out to be erroneous, leaving relatives and friends furious when they heard three hours later that all 12 were dead.
* Jan. 2, Bad Reichenhall, Germany: a heavy snowfall caused the roof of an ice skating rink to collapse, killing 15.
* Jan. 4, Cijeruk, Indonesia: a mudslide
* buried 200 homes and killed at least 200 people.
* Jan. 5, Mecca, Saudi Arabia: a hotel collapsed in Mecca, killing at least 76 pilgrims on the annual hajj.
* Jan. 12, Mecca, Saudi Arabia: a stampede by pilgrims on the annual hajj killed at least 360.
* Jan. 20, Northern Hungary: a Slovak military plane, AN-24, en route to Slovakia from Kosovo, crashed soon after taking off, killing 43, most of them Slovak soldiers.
* Jan. 23, Bioce, Montenegro: a train derailed and plunged into the Moraca canyon, killing 46 and injuring 19.
* Jan. 28, Katowice, Poland: 67 people died from the collapse of the roof of. the International Exhibition Hall. There had been 500 people inside at the time.

February 2006 Disasters

* Feb. 3, Red Sea: a fire on the Al-Salaam Boccaccio 98 a Red Sea ferry, enroute from Saudi Arabia to Egypt, caused it to sink 60 miles off the Egyptian coast, killing more than 1,000 of the 1,400 on board.
* Feb. 11–12, New York City, N.Y.: a record-breaking 26.9 in of snow fell in Central Park.
* Feb. 17, Guinsaugon, Philippines: a mudslide caused by the collapse of a mountain engulfed the town of Guinsaugon, burying more than 1,000 people. Rescue workers were unable to recover many survivors. More than 3,330 were left homeless. The depth of the landslide was estimated at 13 ft covering an area of 1.2 sq mi (3 sq km).
* Feb. 19, San Juan Sabinas, Mexico: a gas explosion trapped and killed 65 coal miners in the Pasta de Conchos mine owned by Grupo Mexico SA de CV.
* Feb. 21, Moscow, Russia: a market roof collapsed, killing 56 people.
March 2006 Disasters

* March 6–7., Tex.: more than 200 wildfires in a 24-hour period destroyed 15 homes, killed 10,000 cattle and horses, and burned 191,000 acres. Since December 26th, Texas wildfires have killed 11 people, destroyed 400 homes, and burned more than 3.7 million acres
* March 10–13, Southern Plains and Midwest, U.S.: over 100 tornadoes hit 5 states, killing 10.
* March 14, Kauai, Hawaii: a dam collapsed on the northern side of the mountain sending 300 million gallons of water into the valley. Seven people died.
* March 23, Gulf of Guinea, Cameroon: a ship, carrying 150 people, sank on it's way from Nigeria to Gabon. There were 27 survivors.
* March 30, Persian Gulf, Bahrain: a chartered cruise boat, carrying 137 people, capsized, killing 57.
* March 31, western, Iran: three earthquakes, 210 miles southwest of Tehran, killed 70 people and destroyed more than 40 villages.
April 2006 Disasters

* April 2, Ark., Ind., Ill., Iowa, Ky., Ohio, Miss., and Tenn.: tornadoes, at least 86, and strong storms swept eight states, destroying buildings and killing at least 23 people
* April 3–13, California: heavy rainfall caused flooding on the coastal and valley areas. Nine counties were declared disaster areas.
* April 7–8, Southeast, U.S.: more strong weather and tornadoes, 91 reported, battered the southeastern states, killing 12 people in Tenn.
* April 10, Meerut, India: fire swept the tents of trade fair, killing at least 45.
* April 17, Mexico: an overcrowded tour bus returning from a religious festival veered off the road and plunged down a ravine, killing 47.
* April 24, Dahab, Egypt: terrorists set off 3 bombs in the Sinai Peninsula resort city of Dahab, killing 18 and injuring 85.

Makes you wonder??????? the first 3 months of the year....

Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM

Wow, its a good thing were safe in the middle of the swamp in florida!
a highly destructive hurricane ravaged South Florida in September 1926. The 125 mile an hour winds eventually turned Palm Beach County into swamp lands. After the storm, a huge tidal wave crashed upon the towns of Belle Glade and Moore Haven. Due to these horrible turn of events, over 13,000 homes were destroyed and 415 people died. This was after the last great Florida realestate boom.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:37 PM

90 posts, read 348,781 times
I believe it can happen. You just can not predict what mother nature is going to bring. This winter has been extremely warm. The ocean is warm due to that fact. Warm water creates strong storms.
If you watch the Weather Channel there is a show called
"It can happen Tommorrow" This is no joking matter. If the people in New Orleans listened then maybe alot of them wouldn't have died.
You can leave and come back to what? A flattened house??
It's too scary to even think about.
The storms are bound to happen and also be stronger.
Just be prepared is what you need to do. If you loose your home you still have one another but it will be devasting and you have to be prepared for that. The stress levels will skyrocket and you will have severly depressed people struggling to figure out what to do next.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covebound View Post
I believe it can happen. You just can not predict what mother nature is going to bring. This winter has been extremely warm. The ocean is warm due to that fact. Warm water creates strong storms.
If you watch the Weather Channel there is a show called
"It can happen Tommorrow" This is no joking matter. If the people in New Orleans listened then maybe alot of them wouldn't have died.
You can leave and come back to what? A flattened house??
It's too scary to even think about.
The storms are bound to happen and also be stronger.
Just be prepared is what you need to do. If you loose your home you still have one another but it will be devasting and you have to be prepared for that. The stress levels will skyrocket and you will have severly depressed people struggling to figure out what to do next.
Check out the history of Florida. http://www.floridahistory.org/floridians/1920's.htm The news of the Florida Land Bust crippled the tourist market. Despite the continued boom in the United States Stock Market, people no longer trusted buying Florida land. And yet, the land was merely overpriced.
As if the land collapse was not bad enough, a terrible hurricane hit South Florida in September of 1926 with winds in excess of 125 miles per hour. Traveling parallel to the Atlantic Ocean, the storm suddenly turned west across Palm Beach County into the heartland of the muck lands.

Last edited by firemed; 01-03-2007 at 07:04 PM..

Old 01-03-2007, 06:50 PM

90 posts, read 348,781 times
Ooh, those fires are really bad sometimes. If we have a dry winter it's going to be a struggle to keep the brush fires controlled especially with all the dead trees from all the previous hurricanes.
You just can't predict what is going to happen anymore. Anywhere.

Old 01-03-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
No..not freaked out, but we should be as frustrated as Max Mayfield. He wasn't necessarily talking about some monster hurricane. He was speaking of a big hurricane that could hit a heavily populated area that doesn't have a good evacuation plan and still building houses that would not withstand the winds and/or floods. We should demand more of our leaders and they should get out of the pockets of developers who build a house in weeks on filled land that not long ago was swamp. Mother Nature tends to reclaim her own.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/weather/hurricane/orl-mayfield010306,0,7433436.story?coll=orl-home-promo (broken link)
I will agree that our government must do more for the tax payers, but we tax payers should listen and follow directions. Hurricanes are not a surprise, we have sufficient warning to make and take decisions on what to do prior to a hurricane approach land. Lost of life is a personal carelessness of the individual and at times the local/federal government.

Hurricanes are not an attraction is a natural phenomenon that will destroy everything on the path. So what you do? You move away from the path. I have experienced volcanoes in Iceland, mudslides in Utah, earthquakes in Panama, tornados in Texas, sand storms in Saudi Arabia (Al’s Garage), blizzards in North Dakota and Canada (negative -82 ambient temperature) hurricanes in Puerto Rico, Florida (stationed @ Homestead AFB) and Texas. The one that scared me the most was the blizzards of North Dakota.

PS: A few bar fights in Germany, England, Panama City, too many to count....

What about the bad winter season in Denver? Is the insurance and other industries affected , YES…

Should we respect natural disasters, YES, should we be afraid, YES, should we follow directions, YES. Will I relocate from Florida, NO.

Last edited by sunrico90; 01-03-2007 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: had to add the PS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida