U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Check out the history of Florida. http://www.floridahistory.org/floridians/1920's.htm The news of the Florida Land Bust crippled the tourist market. Despite the continued boom in the United States Stock Market, people no longer trusted buying Florida land. And yet, the land was merely overpriced.
As if the land collapse was not bad enough, a terrible hurricane hit South Florida in September of 1926 with winds in excess of 125 miles per hour. Traveling parallel to the Atlantic Ocean, the storm suddenly turned west across Palm Beach County into the heartland of the muck lands.
That was a great site on the history of Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 07:32 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,675,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
I will agree that our government must do more for the tax payers, but we tax payers should listen and follow directions. Hurricanes are not a surprise, we have sufficient warning to make and take decisions on what to do prior to a hurricane approach land. Lost of life is a personal carelessness of the individual and at times the local/federal government.

Oh, I agree that if we're told to evacuate, we pack up and go. But our agencies in charge should have plans in place to route people and plan for those who have no vehicles, etc. And, as in the case of Charley, nobody thought it would come to Orlando and yet it came right up the middle of the state and they truly did not have time to leave. Lots of people from South Florida had actually come to Orlando to avoid the storm - and their motels were hit.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,814,761 times
I am more concerned with the criminals at the Monroe County property assessors office than the "big one". We know that the huricane is comming, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. But in reality along with the destruction there will be renewal. A big disaster would scare of all the speculators, especially since like 1926 we are going to less and less of a safety net (insurance) and many of the devastated condos will never be rebuilt, destroying billions in bubble capital. So I guess it's a good thing that people are filling up Florida as it might be a form of nature's population control..LOL! Yet I know there will be no big storm this year, it would just solve too many of my problems! That is, if I survive.

If we can fix the problems in Florida caused by humans we can better deal with the natural disasters to come. Amazingly I can't even get a group together to fight property taxes. Floridians aren't too interested in helping themselves it seems.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:02 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,079,685 times
Rick, I have to disagree with you on that one. Floridians are very good at helping themselves and each other. Florida has had some pretty devastating canes the past few years and they seemed to fare quite well. There was at least some sort of plan and the people followed it. There were no fema trailers brought in and there were no mass movements to other parts of the country. There was no whining or blame.

Cove, I like your post and I also watch that show on the weather channel. You probably already saw that they had a show ready to go before Katrina struck and they knew how devastating it would be. It's probably hard for anyone to know exactly what year the big one will hit, but it could be very devastating. There isn't a place to live that doesn't have some sort of perilous weather.

Rico, You said the same thing my bro says. He grew up in So. Dak. and said he'll take a Fl. cane anyday over one of our snowstorms.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:56 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,936,227 times
Well, he does say that Katrina was nothing compared to what is to come.
Are builders as resistant to improving codes as he says they are?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Capresesalad/eastcoastnorthamerica4-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-04-2007, 07:09 AM

495 posts, read 2,084,535 times
This pic from the photos thread will show why a monster hurricane will be a catastrophy for Florida. Just imagine what a 10 ft storm surge, 150 mph winds, and battering waves will do to this coast.

And Florida has hundreds of miles of coast like this

Almost every waterfront home on those man made islands and penesulas is valued at close to a million dollars or better. No wonder the insurance companies are jumpy!

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o263/Shores9/TampaBayFly12-5-06192.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-04-2007, 07:27 AM

2,909 posts, read 12,994,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Well, he does say that Katrina was nothing compared to what is to come.
Are builders as resistant to improving codes as he says they are?
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/Capresesalad/eastcoastnorthamerica4-1.jpg (broken link)

If thats whats gonna happen to FL and other costal states, there wont be a Florida! I find it ironic everyone is afraid of the big earthquake in CA, but wouldnt a hurricane 10x worse than katrina be worse than any earthquake in history? Wow what would a hurricane 10x worse than katrina be like? 200+ mph sustained winds? Possible 250mph gusts? Huge hurricane diameter that could engulf all of Florida with winds extending from the keys to the panhandle?(hurricane Frances extended from Miami to Orlando)

Could we get a big one like that(or bigger!) with 200+ mph sustained, 250+ gusts? No one knows how bad hurricane season of 2007 could be but the winters have been mild and warm, keeping the oceans at a higher temp. When summer comes, the oceans could become super hot!

I really wish my parents had sold their house a couple years ago when the market was at its peak. House values could drop by 50% or more when we get the big one. This is what happened to New Orleans and theres lots of storm and flood damaged houses for under $50k(yes the land and house lost most of its value)

I dont see how the insurance will be able to pay everyone when we get the big one. They will pay everything they got till they are bankrupt and thats the end of it. The rich people may not get a dime from the insurances, the poor will get most of it as the insurances will prioritize by paying the poorest first(its only fair)

I really hope to be out of Florida before hurricane season of 2007, I just need enough income for that! Ill be taking everything with me on a moving trailor, emptying my bedroom except leave the furniture.

Old 01-04-2007, 07:33 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,407,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
If thats whats gonna happen to FL and other costal states, there wont be a Florida! I find it ironic everyone is afraid of the big earthquake in CA, but wouldnt a hurricane 10x worse than katrina be worse than any earthquake in history? Wow what would a hurricane 10x worse than katrina be like? 200+ mph sustained winds? Possible 250mph gusts? Huge hurricane diameter that could engulf all of Florida with winds extending from the keys to the panhandle?(hurricane Frances extended from Miami to Orlando)

Could we get a big one like that(or bigger!) with 200+ mph sustained, 250+ gusts? No one knows how bad hurricane season of 2007 could be but the winters have been mild and warm, keeping the oceans at a higher temp. When summer comes, the oceans could become super hot!

I really wish my parents had sold their house a couple years ago when the market was at its peak. House values could drop by 50% or more when we get the big one. This is what happened to New Orleans and theres lots of storm and flood damaged houses for under $50k(yes the land and house lost most of its value)

I dont see how the insurance will be able to pay everyone when we get the big one. They will pay everything they got till they are bankrupt and thats the end of it. The rich people may not get a dime from the insurances, the poor will get most of it as the insurances will prioritize by paying the poorest first(its only fair)

I really hope to be out of Florida before hurricane season of 2007, I just need enough income for that! Ill be taking everything with me on a moving trailor, emptying my bedroom except leave the furniture.
Who predicts a hurricane 10x bigger then Katrina?

Old 01-04-2007, 07:43 AM

495 posts, read 2,084,535 times
I dont think that hurricane as big or as powerful as you say is even possible.

But, it doesnt have to be. Katrina weakened to a cat 3, wind wise; although the surge stayed a 5. Any big hurricane comming ashore as a cat 4 or 5 hitting Tampa or Miami would be the Big One. We dont need any super hurricane senarios to have the disaster predicted.

The coast will be clobbered the most but a fast moving cat 4 or 5 would put sustained winds of over 100 mph across the inland areas too.

But it is just not Florida that is in danger. Anywhere along he gulf or Atlantic coast can be hit hard too. Inland areas can suffer catastrophic flooding from the storm as well.

I personally find tornadoes more spooky than hurricanes. I would not live in Tornado Alley for that reason.

Come to think of it, driving down the highway is really scary if you think about it.

WE ALL GONNA DIE

Old 01-04-2007, 07:51 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,434,280 times
The big one is coming. When, who knows? However, our waters have not cooled off from this past season...why did Max Mayfield quit? He's an institution....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or