U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM

90 posts, read 348,322 times

Advertisements

You may have a warning that a hurricane is coming but they can't tell you exactly where the storm will hit. It can turn in a split second and then it will be too late for anybody to do squat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 03:04 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,240,710 times
Question Studies project a paved Florida

With our expected grow in population and development the reality of the big one equates to a exorbitant path of destruction. Read below:

If you're used to living in Mayberry, you'd better brace yourself for something closer to Manhattan.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-05-2007, 03:55 PM

Check the following site for a hurricane evacuation board game:
http://www.floridadisaster.org/bpr/Response/Plans/Nathaz/Brochure/english/board.htm (broken link)

Old 01-05-2007, 04:26 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,342,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
With our expected grow in population and development the reality of the big one equates to a exorbitant path of destruction. Read below:
In the 80s growth was headed our way also. Buy 1989 the market was dead. It took 15 years and free money to make it boom. I don't put alot of faith in University studies. I went to a University and know what money can buy there. All the numbers are based on the last two years.

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 10:56 AM..

Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,027,372 times
Rico, why do you think it says that the panhandle will be spared from the intense growth? It seems like several people are asking questions about that area since southern Fla. is already full and central Fla. is filling up fast.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Rico, why do you think it says that the panhandle will be spared from the intense growth? It seems like several people are asking questions about that area since southern Fla. is already full and central Fla. is filling up fast.
Small areas of south and central Florida are full but there is alot land here. You have to remember most of the homes are 0 lot line .

Old 01-05-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

Could be the location, weather, and is not perceived by many as an area with potential to develop went compare to central/south Florida. Again my amateurish view.

To touch on Firemed post, I don't trust the studies that much, but the development and greed can not be stopped.

Old 01-05-2007, 06:20 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,271,033 times
This is my input, for what it is worth.

We went through Charley in Fort Myers.

The area had not been hit by a hurricane since Donna, which was 1960 or 61.

The area had grown incredibly complacent. There were numerous close calls, but they all ended up travelling up the coast.

Local officials, over and over, told us there was no danger. Just as Charley became parallel with Fort Myers it jogged to the right. I remember thinking, "What the heck was that?" The weatherman said it was a "bobble." Two hours later Charley moved into southwest Florida.

I guess a few people forgot, but Charley was a Cat 4. He was extremely powerful. Fortunately, he had a small circu****ence.

You know, up on I-75 near Port Charlotte, those huge pole carrying the high tension wires? The ones that are extremely thick and made of metal? They were sheared in half.

I will say this about Florida: The aftermath was nothing like Katrina. People in my area were so nice to each other. We didn't have a traffic light left, but people just took it slow and let each other go.

Of course, the snowbirds were not there at that time of year. I imagine things would have been nasty if they were there.

One thing that very few people take into consideration is that before a hurricane you are faced with the dilemma of should I stay or should I go? If I go, where do I go? Will my boss allow me to take off of work a couple days before the hurricane hits, not knowing if it REALLY will hit? (Answer is almost always no.) Will I lose my job if I leave? If I have no friends and family to go to, can I afford to get a motel, especially after my boss has just fired me?

During 2004, we faced these issues over and over.

Also, the housing boom REALLY took off AFTER Charley, much like prices skyrocketed in N'awlins after Katrina.

In other words, a hurricane does not deter developers. They know that a lot of people are idiots and will come to Florida, despite the area recently being devastated.

Do you know why? Because people half pay attention to the news, if they watch it at all, and if it doesn't directly affect them they do not absorb the information.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is my input, for what it is worth.

We went through Charley in Fort Myers.

The area had not been hit by a hurricane since Donna, which was 1960 or 61.

The area had grown incredibly complacent. There were numerous close calls, but they all ended up travelling up the coast.

Local officials, over and over, told us there was no danger. Just as Charley became parallel with Fort Myers it jogged to the right. I remember thinking, "What the heck was that?" The weatherman said it was a "bobble." Two hours later Charley moved into southwest Florida.

I guess a few people forgot, but Charley was a Cat 4. He was extremely powerful. Fortunately, he had a small circu****ence.

You know, up on I-75 near Port Charlotte, those huge pole carrying the high tension wires? The ones that are extremely thick and made of metal? They were sheared in half.

I will say this about Florida: The aftermath was nothing like Katrina. People in my area were so nice to each other. We didn't have a traffic light left, but people just took it slow and let each other go.

Of course, the snowbirds were not there at that time of year. I imagine things would have been nasty if they were there.

One thing that very few people take into consideration is that before a hurricane you are faced with the dilemma of should I stay or should I go? If I go, where do I go? Will my boss allow me to take off of work a couple days before the hurricane hits, not knowing if it REALLY will hit? (Answer is almost always no.) Will I lose my job if I leave? If I have no friends and family to go to, can I afford to get a motel, especially after my boss has just fired me?

During 2004, we faced these issues over and over.

Also, the housing boom REALLY took off AFTER Charley, much like prices skyrocketed in N'awlins after Katrina.

In other words, a hurricane does not deter developers. They know that a lot of people are idiots and will come to Florida, despite the area recently being devastated.

Do you know why? Because people half pay attention to the news, if they watch it at all, and if it doesn't directly affect them they do not absorb the information.
Charley was a cat-4 but very little storm. Strong but little, Outside the eyewall area the winds were cat-1 and no real stormsurge. Wind is a small problem, the water is the big thing it moves the sand/muck and I have pictures of what donna did and if we get a storm like that now it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. South of Tampa is swamp and will always be swamp.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
Charley was a cat-4 but very little storm. Strong but little, Outside the eyewall area the winds were cat-1 and no real stormsurge. Wind is a small problem, the water is the big thing it moves the sand/muck and I have pictures of what donna did and if we get a storm like that now it will make Katrina look like a cakewalk. South of Tampa is swamp and will always be swamp.
Crackers never built homes on sand. The south was the bible belt .
Matthew
7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

7:25 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

7:26 And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

7:27 And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Its very easy don't build on the swamp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or