U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,347,398 times

Advertisements

The storms in Florida are real. I can't say if we will get a storm next year but we have and will be hit. I won't post the bad pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2007, 08:01 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,347,398 times

Wilma 2005

Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM

4,726 posts, read 12,425,947 times
Default January 10th thoughts on the big one!

Makes you kinda wonder why we're all still here after those pictures, eh? If you've never been in Florida for the summer of 2004 and 2005, you have no idea what it is to evacuate here. If you lived on an island and didn't leave, they took your picture, for I.D. purposes... Another poster was right, we can not evacuate everytime there's a storm headed for us & take 3 days on each side of it off work, are ya kidding me? Job gone, house gone, life gone=move out of Florida for most....

I've been here 16 years and not making enough to stay & fight mother nature. It's almost like an abusive relationship....most of us don't want to leave Florida because we have dealt with the storms & do know the procedures but we have a big fear of packing it up & leaving the sunshine state behind, don't we?

Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,259,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Makes you kinda wonder why we're all still here after those pictures, eh? If you've never been in Florida for the summer of 2004 and 2005, you have no idea what it is to evacuate here. If you lived on an island and didn't leave, they took your picture, for I.D. purposes... Another poster was right, we can not evacuate everytime there's a storm headed for us & take 3 days on each side of it off work, are ya kidding me? Job gone, house gone, life gone=move out of Florida for most....

I've been here 16 years and not making enough to stay & fight mother nature. It's almost like an abusive relationship....most of us don't want to leave Florida because we have dealt with the storms & do know the procedures but we have a big fear of packing it up & leaving the sunshine state behind, don't we?
Is a matter of choices, some will leave afraid and concerned. Other we stay and life goes on. Every state has a different omens that impact the same way. Again I faced many disasters here on Florida, other states and overseas and I will take a hurricane anytime.

Tornados, volcanos, and earthquakes that gets me concern.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:37 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,063,407 times
Blizzards are pretty unpleasant, too, especially if you're caught away from home when one is raging. Bro has been through many blizzards and the recent Fla. canes and said he'd take a cane any day rather then one of our raging blizzards.

Old 01-11-2007, 09:41 AM

Lightbulb The Blizzard of '97 North Dakota

I was staioned at Grand Forks AFB:

The weekend of April 5th and 6th, 1997, a winter storm pounded the Northern Plains. The storm knocked out power and phone service for nearly every town and city in the Red River Valley, stranded travellers, and dumped freezing rain and snow into already swollen rivers and streams. For emergency crews already trying to fight the highest flood waters in the southern Red River Valley in the last 100 years, the storm couldn't have come at a worse time.

Late Friday night (April 4th), an ice storm began to coat every exposed surface with heavy, slippery ice. After a large accumulation of ice, high winds Saturday began to bring down antenna towers, power poles, and trees. Hundreds of power poles and towers collapsed under the weight of the ice, leaving tens of thousands of people without power or heat. Emergency crews were unable to repair the damage as some of the worst blizzard conditions in decades descended on the region. Information on the situation was hard to come by, as most radio and television stations went off the air due to collapsed antenna towers, emergency generators running out of fuel, or other technical problems. People could do little but sit in the cold and dark, waiting for the storm to pass.

North Dakota Weather
Coldest Temperature: -60 degrees (F.)
Hottest Temperature: 121 degrees (F.)

Before the storm

After the storm

Old 01-11-2007, 09:59 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,063,407 times
Rico, I see that you know exactly how bad it can get up here. The winter of 1996-1997 was awful for this area. Every two or three days we had a snow blizzard. There was no place to pile snow so it had to be hauled out of town. Do you remember the lady who left work after her night shift and was stranded on a country road for a few days? (So. Dak) They found her by her cell phone signal because her car ended up buried. I think she was out there for a couple of days. It took a lot of taxpayer dollars to find her and the state government asked her for reimbursement. She had gone on several talk shows and told her story so she had made quite a bit of $$ and she gladly paid the state back for her rescue efforts.

There were a lot of comments about how dumb she was to get herself stranded, but I totally understand how that happened. It wasn't even snowing yet so my husband took off on the interstate heading west. He had 15 miles to drive. He got three miles down the road and hit a solid wall of blizzarding. He couldn't see the turnoffs to drive back home so he crawled along. It took him an hour and a half to drive those 15 miles and it was only by the Grace of God that he made it. And losing electricity during a blizzard isn't uncommon around here. Our last major ice storm was a year ago after Thanksgiving Day. Some people didn't get their electricity restored until the New Year.

One thing that I find amazing is that No. Dak. has had such flooding at times that it was considered to be the most devastating floods in the U.S. before Katrina hit. They did receive federal aid, but most people have never heard about the devastation and loss they had up there. Guess everyone just worked together and helped each other through it and went on with life.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:57 AM

Jammie,

I have great respect for the folks in your area. They have a community concept that lacks in other areas. Simple life that cannot be found or understand in busy metro areas. A true team concept, every one regarless of economic status provides a helping hand, no need to ask.

What you mentioned about the lady that got buried in snow and weather change within hours is an everyday challenge that is exprienced during he harsh winters. She was not dumb, this happen all over the area and she had a survival kit and a cell to ensure a positive outcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or