U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 AM

13,495 posts, read 34,011,046 times

Advertisements

I was reading in the thread about the worst of Fla. Does anyone know an area of Fla. that doesn't have crocs or gators? Since they don't like salt water, does it mean they wouldn't live in coastal areas like St. Petersburg? What about the panhandle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 09:55 AM

2,967 posts, read 1,753,379 times
I suggest you stay away from Gainesville as I heard there are a lot of them

Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,155,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I was reading in the thread about the worst of Fla. Does anyone know an area of Fla. that doesn't have crocs or gators? Since they don't like salt water, does it mean they wouldn't live in coastal areas like St. Petersburg? What about the panhandle?

There are no waterways, lakes and/or etc in Florida that don't give you Zero Risk against Alligators. The American Crocodile is rare and nearly endangerd, those that do exist outside of zoos are in the extreme southwest part of the state. Don't forget Caymans, these are smaller invasive species that have been caught in Florida already.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:34 AM

944 posts, read 3,532,349 times
Quote:
Jammie, gators also live in brackish water, which is where salt water and fresh water meet. They can be found in St. Petersburg *however* mostly confined to canals and parks (like Lake Maggiore, Lake Seminole...).

They can be seen behind the main library in St. Pete which is basically a large retention pond. Most retention ponds are fenced off in populated areas, but they can make their way through the sewer system/pipes. I think one of Shores9's photos shows a gator in his old backyard. Unless you intend to walk a dog along a lake, or swim in a lake, I wouldn't let the fear of a gator alter any plans. Seriously.

I had similar concerns when I moved here because I didn't understand the nature of gators. I think of them like deer: you will see them, but you need to be in a specific location at a specific time. Just a guess, but I bet more people die avoiding deer each year than by gator attacks. I've read that they are most active at dusk and dawn, but I've only seen them mid-day.

Besides, the most a gator usually makes off with is an arm! (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Last edited by Muggy; 01-04-2007 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: more info

Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,856,289 times
Gators here in the panhandle are supposed to be smaller, but I saw some big ones at St Vincent's Island (a nature preserve.)
Haven't seen any at all along the canals here, but someone told me that she saw a small one in the Gulf last summer, right by where a bayou empties into the Gulf.
That was rare enough that she called the sheriff.

Old 01-04-2007, 02:34 PM

14,505 posts, read 23,728,391 times
We had them in Boca. Muggy is right they like brackish water- even the manmade lakes. Also in the canals.

Old 01-04-2007, 03:16 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,232,250 times
Quote:
We do have gators in the panhandle, we have some living in the golf courses at the military facilities and some city courses and parks.

Is interesting the question if they dont like salt water. While living in Satellite Beach, we had alligators relocating from the main land to the strip of US 1. The water on the Banana River is a mixture of salt/fresh water. Many of the water ways at Cape Canaveral are also salt water and we had Big Bertha a 15 feet gator enjoying life. So with time they have become some what conditioned to the salt water.

Alligators inhabit primarily fresh water to brackish water areas, although they can occasionally be found in salt water. However, alligators lack the salt-extracting glands of crocodiles and are unable to survive in salt water for extended periods of time.
http://home.cfl.rr.com/gatorhole/Images/gator_hole_sponge_ellipse.jpg (broken link)

http://home.cfl.rr.com/gatorhole/#Habitat (broken link)

Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 PM

1,418 posts, read 9,352,163 times
There are Gators (and some crocks in south Florida) everywhere in Florida. I believe their habitat extends well into parts of Georgia Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana.

The good news is that, unless you have a dog or small child and live right on a body of water bigger than a small pond, you have nothing to worry about. Gators are affraid of people and especially of boats. They feed at dawn and dusk, so don't go swimming in lakes, rivers, ponds, etc. at these times. NEVER go swimming in Lake Jessup - they are crawling on top of one another in that lake. Saw a big one once swimming with a large dear in his mouth.

The other good thing is that Gators taste good and their leather is good for many products. Hunting licenses for taking gators are much easier to get these days. You may not get a warm fuzzy feeling about shooting Bambi in the neck.......but I betcha even Nancy Pellosi would shoot a Gator and not think twice about it.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:00 PM

944 posts, read 3,532,349 times
South Carolina: Check this out!

Old 01-04-2007, 04:20 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,011,046 times
Oh that gator by the door in SC is pretty scary. Do you suppose it's for real? Actually, I didn't realize that SC had gators, but the only place we've really been in SC is the Myrtle Beach area.

I didn't know they would even live near the ocean. My understanding was that they don't like salt water at all. Have they had to readjust to salt water throughout time or have they always been able to handle a bit of it?

We were really hoping that there would be an area of Fla. they didn't inhabit. They happen to be the second thing on my "HATE" list. (Number one is snakes.)

We went down to Gator World once and I didn't really like it there. We watched them at feeding time and they are so gross and just awful to each other even. We saw Goliath in a cage by himself with all the skulls of the others that he had killed. I was heckled into holding a baby gator so we have a pic of me holding the little guy. Can't say I enjoyed that at all.

I absolutely adore the furry, cuddly animals, but those prehistoric reptiles aren't my friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or