U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 02:47 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,978,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It was in the 80s last Thanksgiving and Christmas. AC is on. Cannot cook a big dinner in the oven without it. Last winter there was record breaking cold so I didn't have AC on. In fact, it got into the 40s at night a number of times and we put the heat on when we got up in the morning for a little while.

Before then, we had the AC on until about February; certainly didn't turn it off in November and December.

Tampa is farther north than Naples. It probably is cooler there.
The weather in NY right now would probably be about the same as Florida during thanksgiving, probably a little hotter actually, yet you need the AC here as opposed to NY? I think a lot of it is in your head. If you sit around all day saying to yourself how hot it is, it feels that much hotter. Same with the cold. I also seem to remember it being in the 80s here in Tampa last Thanksgiving and we didn't need the AC on.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:57 PM

255 posts, read 735,340 times
I don't like florida either. I have family in orlando, miami and northern fla, but its all one big, humid, sticky sweaty state in my opinion.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:02 PM

255 posts, read 735,340 times
The northeast has the best weather.
The four seasons, autumn leaves that change colors in the cool crisp air, snowy days, sunshine and rain..variety...
Florida is just hot and hotter with high humidity and/or rain and storms.
So the person complaining has every right.
Maybe they are in a position financially or otherwise where they can't leave. Its not always easy to pick up and go.
And some people have better lives than others and are truly stuck for whatever reason.
But if you really want to get out, pray and keep your dreams alive. Behind every closed door, one is opened...

Old 08-04-2010, 03:51 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,512,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambermerci View Post
The northeast has the best weather.
The four seasons, autumn leaves that change colors in the cool crisp air, snowy days, sunshine and rain..variety...
Florida is just hot and hotter with high humidity and/or rain and storms.
So the person complaining has every right.
Maybe they are in a position financially or otherwise where they can't leave. Its not always easy to pick up and go.
And some people have better lives than others and are truly stuck for whatever reason.
But if you really want to get out, pray and keep your dreams alive. Behind every closed door, one is opened...
That's what I'm doing. Saving up until the first week of November, then back to MA for me and my family. Other than myself, my 11 year old cannot wait to go back home as she calls it. She has lived almost her whole life here and is about as enthusiastic about FL as me. If I could pick up and go I would...

Old 08-04-2010, 04:52 PM

150 posts, read 386,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I hate this time of year. Sure, there's lots of sunshine and you feel energized, but after a while you just hate Florida Summer's. The energy gives way to heat. The unrelenting sun is hell on your skin. It's not even april yet and summer is here, it's hitting 90F every day, and will only get worse.

I've been wearing SPF 15 moisturizer on my face and parts of my arms every day this week, been outside more than 20 minutes a day, and I still feel like I've been getting alot of sun- and I'm not fair skinned. I'm not a sun worshipper and I hate what Florida does to peoples skins. You can get a tan here on a cloudy day easily. A couple decades of Florida isn't pretty. I've gone up to using Helioplex and that stuff isn't cheap because the sun down here is so intense. All that money on sunscreens is money out of my pocket.

I've got a wierd mole on one of my fingers I should probably have checked out one of these days- I didn't have it two years ago. I try to wear sunscreen every day in the summer but I think they don't make a sunscreen strong enough.
I too Hate Florida Summers. I grew up in Miami, and I have also lived in Orlando, Sydney, Madrid and Johnson City, TN. The weather in Johnson City is by far the best. I hate the way it is hot in the winter sometimes and it is hot all summer long. I am trying to go back to TN or maybe VA or somewhere else in the neighborhood.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,940,083 times
Default I don't sit around inside here or there

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
The weather in NY right now would probably be about the same as Florida during thanksgiving, probably a little hotter actually, yet you need the AC here as opposed to NY? I think a lot of it is in your head. If you sit around all day saying to yourself how hot it is, it feels that much hotter. Same with the cold. I also seem to remember it being in the 80s here in Tampa last Thanksgiving and we didn't need the AC on.
Put an OVEN on and cook a turkey for 4 hours without AC and see what that feels like. Actually, even up North when the outside temps got to 60 degrees (brrrrrrrr ) at Thanksgiving, when we had the oven on that many hours, we opened up the windows and the doors to let the cool air inside. 80s? Forget it.

I work. I take the kids in the schools outside and I did there too. We took them outside in NY unless the temp was below freezing at 32 degrees. We had to put them in hats, coats, gloves, and even boots. I have a lot to make a comparison to.

It is WORSE taking them outside in Florida's heat than NY's cold. I could put a coat on and layer and MOVE AROUND to keep warm there. How do you cool off outside in 100+ heat indexes? You can't. I have had to chase some of these kids (ESE) outside and thought I was going to have a heart attack in the heat and humidity. I did it up north in the cold and had no problem with it.

Some people apparently can take this heat. I can't. I hear all the time that the elderly cannot take cold temps. Well, THIS old lady cannot take the heat and the longer I live in Florida the less I can take the heat, and humidity. I actually can now take the COLD much more than I used to. I have found I don't have to layer as much as I used to. I actually can tolerate the cold MORE now having lived in Florida, than I used to, and I was able to cope with it seems more than most old people who have moved to Florida.

I think we all have different body chemistry. What your own particular chemistry is just increases as you get older. You just cannot make blanket statements on this. We are all individuals.

Old 08-05-2010, 03:44 AM

34,240 posts, read 41,245,337 times
Quote:

Some people apparently can take this heat. I can't. I hear all the time that the elderly cannot take cold temps. Well, THIS old lady cannot take the heat and the longer I live in Florida the less I can take the heat, and humidity. I actually can now take the COLD much more than I used to. I have found I don't have to layer as much as I used to. I actually can tolerate the cold MORE now having lived in Florida, than I used to, and I was able to cope with it seems more than most old people who have moved to Florida.

In my younger years i remember working outside in Construction or lawn maintenance and dont remember having any problems with Floridas Summer heat,Thankfully i relocated 2000 miles north before family and kids might have locked me into a permanent life in Florida , the temperatures i'm reading about down there lately would have been like living in hell , i'm thinking 4 to 5 months imprisoned in an air conditioned environment at this point in my life had i stayed..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-05-2010 at 04:16 AM..

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,978,122 times
Quote:
It is WORSE taking them outside in Florida's heat than NY's cold. I could put a coat on and layer and MOVE AROUND to keep warm there. How do you cool off outside in 100+ heat indexes? You can't. I have had to chase some of these kids (ESE) outside and thought I was going to have a heart attack in the heat and humidity. I did it up north in the cold and had no problem with it.
Really? You can't find anyway to cool off outside? You must not have any trees in Naples, or pools. And how does moving around keep you warm in the winter up north? I remember playing in the snow in MI and getting soaked to the bone when it was below freezing. That is a worse feeling than anything I have ever experienced in a Florida summer.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,356,266 times
Quote:
Really? You can't find anyway to cool off outside? You must not have any trees in Naples, or pools. And how does moving around keep you warm in the winter up north? I remember playing in the snow in MI and getting soaked to the bone when it was below freezing. That is a worse feeling than anything I have ever experienced in a Florida summer.
I agree...I can't get warm outside when it is cold. It is dressing in those very layers that I despise about the winter! I hate being in lots of bulky clothing and jackets. What a pain. Move around? Maybe if you are running!! Then you are sweating and that is not pleasant in the cold. Even when I go skiing, the only time I am not freezing is when I am distracted by the activity of skiing itself. The rest of the time..standing around, ski lifts, walking around town...it sucks. People just have different bodies and tolerate different things. I prefer very hot to very cold every single time.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:18 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,940,083 times
Default Who said anything about playing in snow and getting

Quote:
wet? We didn't take the kids outside in the snow. Besides, ever hear of waterproof, as in Gortex, coats? What do you think skiers wear? I have an LL Bean Gortex down coat. It is very light weight (down) and I don't even have to layer under it. When it is snowing, the snow doesn't soak through the fabric.

Naples doesn't have many shade trees. Too many palms which don't give much shade. Besides, shade is not going to help with HUMIDITY. Pools? They are not very refreshing when the water temps are in the 80s or pushing 90 degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida