U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,978,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Big, BAD A-- T-storms in Naples. Not just once today, but TWICE. Dark, thunder, lightening, torrential downpours, and winds!!!!!. Not just purple on the radar, but BROWN. No, I will not post a link to the radar. I love it. My plants love it. The egrets will love it fishing for their dinner tongiht in the lake.

Of course, it cannot possibly be raining. This is Florida! The sun is brightly shining because it IS in Tampa, Clearwater, or Weeki Wachi, etc., etc. Everyone sit by the pool, have your beer, and enjoy the sunshine right now in Naples.
I don't recall anyone ever saying it never rains in Florida and is sunny all the time. I wouldn't even live here if it was like that. God bless those Florida t-storms.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 PM

4,224 posts, read 5,675,577 times
89 degrees, 68% humidity, heat index of 102, 7:45 PM. I felt like a baked chicken today. Insane heat.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:09 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,919,004 times
Call me crazy but I kind of like the daytime Florida T-storms (from safely inside of course). As long as it's not spawning tornadoes, etc...

Old 08-17-2010, 06:14 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,940,083 times
Default Burlington is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysk View Post
I've always dreamed of Seattle even though I've never been there. It seems that it's never too hot and never too cold and there are all types of nature around (water, mountains, etc). And it rains but definitely not as much as the stereotype and besides, I don't mind the rain at all (as long as it is without lightning).

I've also dreamed of Burlington, Vermont. Even though it gets much colder than in Seattle but I really do not mind the cold at all. In fact it makes me feel alive.

Right on. I've lived in "cold places" and while everyone was whining and complaining during winter, I was out and about enjoying myself and life. It actually made me happy because it showed me that I was definitely in the right place. Now that I am in Florida, it is the opposite, I just feel down and miserable 10 months per year and I realize that I should get out of here as soon as I get a chance because I am certainly not the best I could be while living here.

But don't get me wrong, I think Florida is beautiful BUT to visit. Living in Florida is a completely different thing.
You can see the the mountains everywhere you go. In summer it is a green as can be. I've said it's the closest to the green of Ireland as you can get.

It is beautiful, but very cold in the winters, so if you don't like cold that will be the downside.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:16 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,512,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
I must have missed that. No wonder you complain about the heat so much . Florida is definitely not the place for you. Good luck on getting back north.
Trust me, I don't complain just to complain and be miserable. I wasn't like this for the firs 10 or so years here, it's just in the past 4-5 years, I have been getting more and more irritated by the humidity.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:20 PM

204 posts, read 543,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Trust me, I don't complain just to complain and be miserable. I wasn't like this for the firs 10 or so years here, it's just in the past 4-5 years, I have been getting more and more irritated by the humidity.
I feel you on this one even though the climate of Florida is what I'm looking for and one of the reasons I am moving there. Everyone is allowed to despise where they live, it's the American way It drives me nuts when I have posted in the Arizona forum about how I hate the oppressive 113 degree heat and not a drop of rain to mix it up all year. I am a water person and I like moisture but criticize Arizona's weather over in the AZ forum and you are ignorant and don't know what you are talking about. Um, yes I do! I've lived here for ten years and, while I liked it at first, the endless dryness etc... is no longer tolerable for me. If someone else likes it then fabulous for them but it doesn't make me a whiner or ignorant if it doesn't work for me!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:25 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,978,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
While some people get use to the heat over time, I guess some people have medical issues that make it worse. I just had no idea humidity cause problems like yours.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:45 AM

21,108 posts, read 30,182,585 times
Not sure why this thread continues on and on and on...It's Florida people! What were you expecting? Balmy breezes and consistent beverage service by the pool?

I try to tell everyone the Florida that you experience on vacation is going to differ significantly from real life here. I mean who has time to go to the beach or lounge by the pool that often once you move here? For most work and real-life get in the way.

Lastly, it's not like it's the only hot place on earth right now. I still live in Philadelphia unfortunately (but will be moved to Oldsmar soon) where we had our hottest July on record. The average high for the month in this sea of asphalt and concrete was 88 degrees, and we had around 2 weeks of 95 or more, with no ocean breeze and high humidity.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
While some people get use to the heat over time, I guess some people have medical issues that make it worse. I just had no idea humidity cause problems like yours.
Humid thick air like here in SWFL traps particles in the air, pollens, car exhaust, mold spores, other contaminents, and that effects some people. Have you ever seen those "air quality" warnings on the news or weather? I did't know why when it was really humid and hot, it felt harder to breathe when I was out in it after a while, but not every day though. That is when my doctor did the asthma test, and he said I had minimal/acute asthma caused by the air quality. Never once did I get that in MA. I have a friend with COPD and he has to be inside when it is really humid, the guy wheezes like crazy. He also smokes, that doesn't help. I do not smoke. The heat rash thing is more like prickly heat from sweating. My neck breaks out from the heat, it's just sesitive skin from the heat. When I shave.... THAT is no fun, neck turns red, itchy, yeah it sucks. So I always say it's not FL I hate, it's the heat here. I was told in 1994 by my boss back then "Oh you will get used to it, give it a couple years" I am still waiting... If it were 75 dew point of 50 and 55 at night, I would never leave.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Not sure why this thread continues on and on and on...It's Florida people! What were you expecting? Balmy breezes and consistent beverage service by the pool?

I try to tell everyone the Florida that you experience on vacation is going to differ significantly from real life here. I mean who has time to go to the beach or lounge by the pool that often once you move here? For most work and real-life get in the way.

Lastly, it's not like it's the only hot place on earth right now. I still live in Philadelphia unfortunately (but will be moved to Oldsmar soon) where we had our hottest July on record. The average high for the month in this sea of asphalt and concrete was 88 degrees, and we had around 2 weeks of 95 or more, with no ocean breeze and high humidity.
WOW.... A whole 2 weeks, that must be terrible. Average high of 88, man how can you do it? I was down here thinking 8 or 9 months of 100-110 degree heat indexes every day with average highs of 94-96 were bad. I see I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida