U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 08:25 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,709,757 times

Advertisements

I hate this time of year. Sure, there's lots of sunshine and you feel energized, but after a while you just hate Florida Summer's. The energy gives way to heat. The unrelenting sun is hell on your skin. It's not even april yet and summer is here, it's hitting 90F every day, and will only get worse.

I've been wearing SPF 15 moisturizer on my face and parts of my arms every day this week, been outside more than 20 minutes a day, and I still feel like I've been getting alot of sun- and I'm not fair skinned. I'm not a sun worshipper and I hate what Florida does to peoples skins. You can get a tan here on a cloudy day easily. A couple decades of Florida isn't pretty. I've gone up to using Helioplex and that stuff isn't cheap because the sun down here is so intense. All that money on sunscreens is money out of my pocket.

I've got a wierd mole on one of my fingers I should probably have checked out one of these days- I didn't have it two years ago. I try to wear sunscreen every day in the summer but I think they don't make a sunscreen strong enough.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:17 AM

13 posts, read 75,320 times
Hate to break it to you, but SPF15 lasts for about one hour. That's straight from my dermatologist himself. Products just like to include the SPF so they can fool consumers into thinking they are getting sun protection in addition to a great product (make up, moisturizer, or whatever it may be). SPF 15 is the lowest SPF recommended to apply in the sun and you have to reapply it every hour. Basically SPF 15 that's in products is pointless unless you reapply that product every single hour. I recommend a much higher SPF if you actually want real protection from the Florida sun.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:33 AM

6,627 posts, read 6,767,957 times
I would happily trade you locations. Today is the first day in a long time that I've woken up to sunshine. Do you have any idea how miserable it is to wake up to gray, cold, wet days for months on end? I have been wearing long underwear under my work clothes for for eight months now ~ and I work inside! It's true. I'm thin and don't have much insulation on my bones, but please this is ridiculous! Yesterday every place I went people were complaining about how cold it was and how it's almost Memorial Day and you have to have the heat on in your car, home, and at work just to stay warm. But, of course, my place of work turned off the heat weeks ago and so we just have to be cold and suffer or wear long underwear and layers of clothes. It's 58 degrees now and we might hit 70 today and we're rejoicing. I've spent my entire life here, and I can tell you quite honestly I can't wait to move to Florida. I look forward to seeing the sun 242 days a year rather than 137, being warm the majority of the year, donating all of my long underwear to charity, wearing shorts and flipflops whenever I want, being able to get outside and walk without being chilled to the bone, and opening my windows for some fresh air. I guess the grass is always greener . . .

Old 05-24-2008, 09:34 AM

3,413 posts, read 5,917,174 times
Both I-95 and I-75 run north- if you hate it here as much as you say you do, why stay?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,140,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
I would happily trade you locations. Today is the first day in a long time that I've woken up to sunshine. Do you have any idea how miserable it is to wake up to gray, cold, wet days for months on end?
At least you won't die from skin cancer ! Be lucky and stop whining.
http://www.boomer-books.com/assets/skincancerface.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-24-2008, 10:28 AM

7,953 posts, read 7,100,278 times
I don't understand this common complaint. I moved here from Kansas City. all years we exceed 100+ in the summer one year we had more than 30 days that were over 110 with the high of 114.... and the humidity was high and it never rained. these summers area a dream. I love them. and I love the winters more.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:54 AM

6,704 posts, read 10,813,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
I hate this time of year. Sure, there's lots of sunshine and you feel energized, but after a while you just hate Florida Summer's. The energy gives way to heat. The unrelenting sun is hell on your skin. It's not even april yet and summer is here, it's hitting 90F every day, and will only get worse.

I've been wearing SPF 15 moisturizer on my face and parts of my arms every day this week, been outside more than 20 minutes a day, and I still feel like I've been getting alot of sun- and I'm not fair skinned. I'm not a sun worshipper and I hate what Florida does to peoples skins. You can get a tan here on a cloudy day easily. A couple decades of Florida isn't pretty. I've gone up to using Helioplex and that stuff isn't cheap because the sun down here is so intense. All that money on sunscreens is money out of my pocket.

I've got a wierd mole on one of my fingers I should probably have checked out one of these days- I didn't have it two years ago. I try to wear sunscreen every day in the summer but I think they don't make a sunscreen strong enough.
I approve this message.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:00 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,283,573 times
All I know is that it is blazing outside right now, and it will be like this until November. Yuck!

Old 05-24-2008, 02:14 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,709,757 times
Yeah, it's hot in other states in July, but this kind of heat is going to last at least 4 months in Florida (till mid October, then we get a cold snap for a bit, then back to "warm"). And then it gets a little "better", like about "10 degrees" better. Global warming isn't being the least bit kind to Florida. If you look at historical trends, it's a couple of degrees hotter here than it was in the 1950's.

Plus, I hate shopping malls in Florida. They are all morons. You go to the mall and walk around, and they all have skylights and it's like an oven in the summer unless you want to get naked and dress like a beach bum. I just hate going to the mall. It's like Winter up north in the Summer in Florida.

The truth is, people could make Florida alot better to live in if they realize the Sun here sucks for most people that aren't a few shades shy of coal black. Houses here are all built wrong, the buildings are all built wrong. You need porches and awnings over windows, you don't want skylights, etc. We get TOO MUCH sun. The sun is just a giant nuclear reactor up in the sky, folks, it doesn't give you warm fuzzies unless you are mentally ill. I could walk around in a cloudy day and be just as content. Sure, I wouldn't be giddy and jumping up and down, but hey, do you really want to be like that? I actually think the heat here contributes to things like our high crime rate, viz a viz aggression.

BTW, SPF15 works... at least it keeps me from getting a sunburn just from stepping outside for 20 minutes. I do agree you need much stronger sunscreen in Florida, I've been using Helioplex... but it's not cheap. The sun and heat are a hidden tax in Florida alot of newcommers don't think about. It's my least favorite time of the year here, winter is awesome but summer bites.

Last edited by Magnulus; 05-24-2008 at 02:23 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 04:07 PM

14,724 posts, read 16,421,487 times
Yes, summer is the least nice season in Florida, but this is a subtropical-tropical climate, so I would hope most people realize that when they move here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida