U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2022, 03:43 PM
 
496 posts, read 435,418 times
Reputation: 2654

Advertisements

……without using I-4 through Orlando/Lake Buena Vista. Prefer not to be on 4 or 75 at all, but I know that would necessitate lots of smaller roads and add travel time.

I'm not familiar with alternate routes, other than 4 to 75 then into Sarasota. Don’t really want to travel single lane roads unless necessary.

I was looking at taking 17 W to 46 W to 441 W to 33 S to 4 near Lakeland, then 75 to Sarasota. Google maps telling me that’s 177 miles and 3:11 with no traffic.

Sanford to 4 to 75 to Sarasota (most direct) is 155 miles and just under 3 hours in ideal conditions. Not sure how construction/traffic is on 4 from Sanford to 75. I really dread driving that route.

Looking for suggestions from you all.

Any and all help/suggestions appreciated. Will be traveling in Feb if that matters.

Thanks everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2022, 04:00 PM
 
Location: West Florida
15,281 posts, read 12,594,515 times
Reputation: 20681
You can avoid I-4 altogether, but I-75 is pretty much your only option unless you want to spend copious amounts of time driving through the woods on single lane roads, which you say you'd rather avoid.

I-4 to I-75 from Sanford to Tampa is miserable throughout. It SHOULD take you two hours to get to Tampa, but it can take 3 to 4 on any given day.

My suggestion, as someone who used to commute to USF from the SR-46 area, would be to go through Tavares, Howey-in-the-Hills, Okahumpka, and catch I-75 all the way down to Sarasota. Minimal single lane roads, and I-75 from there to Sarasota is generally a breeze.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sanf...d27.336465!3e0

This route is pretty much the same as I-4 to I-75 in terms of time, and MUCH less stressful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 05:43 AM
 
496 posts, read 435,418 times
Reputation: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
You can avoid I-4 altogether, but I-75 is pretty much your only option unless you want to spend copious amounts of time driving through the woods on single lane roads, which you say you'd rather avoid.

I-4 to I-75 from Sanford to Tampa is miserable throughout. It SHOULD take you two hours to get to Tampa, but it can take 3 to 4 on any given day.

My suggestion, as someone who used to commute to USF from the SR-46 area, would be to go through Tavares, Howey-in-the-Hills, Okahumpka, and catch I-75 all the way down to Sarasota. Minimal single lane roads, and I-75 from there to Sarasota is generally a breeze.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sanf...d27.336465!3e0

This route is pretty much the same as I-4 to I-75 in terms of time, and MUCH less stressful.
Thank you.

Any suggestions or tips about travelling west from Sanford across to 75.....speed traps, tolls, lots of traffic lights, etc?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 08:33 AM
 
24,915 posts, read 39,200,262 times
Reputation: 26861
Just take the 417 from Sanford at SR46, Rinehart Rd, 46-A or 17-92/Lake Mary Blvd south down around Orlando to the end where it dumps you off on I-4 West just past the EPCOT exit and usually the last of the heavy traffic around WDW/Universal/I-Drive. Continue on I-4 to I-75 South and onto Sarasota.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 09:12 AM
 
Location: West Florida
15,281 posts, read 12,594,515 times
Reputation: 20681
Tolls would be on that new 429 leg going from 46 to Kelly Park. A very short distance. If you want to avoid it, you can do what we all did prior to the toll road extension:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sanf...d27.336465!3e0

Speed traps, yes. I can think of one nasty one. Yalaha on SR 48. The speed limit fluctuates at random between 55 and 35 for seemingly no reason, and the cops are waiting, and hiding. Don't let tailgaters get to you.

If you take the route I just posted here, there are quite a few lights along US 441 and on the first stretch of US 19 in Tavares.
If you take the previous one, it's a bit more country, and there are very few.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 09:16 AM
 
Location: West Florida
15,281 posts, read 12,594,515 times
Reputation: 20681
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Just take the 417 from Sanford at SR46, Rinehart Rd, 46-A or 17-92/Lake Mary Blvd south down around Orlando to the end where it dumps you off on I-4 West just past the EPCOT exit and usually the last of the heavy traffic around WDW/Universal/I-Drive. Continue on I-4 to I-75 South and onto Sarasota.
That's been very hit-or-miss of late. Getting onto I-4 from the 417 is a mess, and is gridlocked until past Haines Creek more often than not.

If they get lucky, sure, that works. But I-4 is just too unpredictable. I can understand wanting to avoid it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 11:20 AM
 
496 posts, read 435,418 times
Reputation: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle19125
Just take the 417 from Sanford at SR46, Rinehart Rd, 46-A or 17-92/Lake Mary Blvd south down around Orlando to the end where it dumps you off on I-4 West just past the EPCOT exit and usually the last of the heavy traffic around WDW/Universal/I-Drive. Continue on I-4 to I-75 South and onto Sarasota.
Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Tolls would be on that new 429 leg going from 46 to Kelly Park. A very short distance. If you want to avoid it, you can do what we all did prior to the toll road extension:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sanf...d27.336465!3e0

Speed traps, yes. I can think of one nasty one. Yalaha on SR 48. The speed limit fluctuates at random between 55 and 35 for seemingly no reason, and the cops are waiting, and hiding. Don't let tailgaters get to you.

If you take the route I just posted here, there are quite a few lights along US 441 and on the first stretch of US 19 in Tavares.
If you take the previous one, it's a bit more country, and there are very few.
Thanks again.
The speed trap sounds like the one(s) on 301. Frequent change in speed limits and local cops in waiting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 11:27 AM
 
Location: US
24,153 posts, read 24,712,899 times
Reputation: 19326
Join 2022 and use google maps with live traffic on… it will tell you the fastest route in real-time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 12:58 PM
 
496 posts, read 435,418 times
Reputation: 2654
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Join 2022 and use google maps with live traffic on… it will tell you the fastest route in real-time.
BMW, figures.

Really? WTF do you think I’m looking at, a paper map?

If you read the OP CAREFULLY, you would see we are traveling in Feb. I like to know alternate routes ahead of time so I have options if traffic is bad, accidents, etc. Plus, I’d like to hear from Floridians who are familiar with this drive.

So next time, don’t bother to reply to a post of mine unless you have something relevant to add.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2022, 01:03 PM
 
Location: West Florida
15,281 posts, read 12,594,515 times
Reputation: 20681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
That's been very hit-or-miss of late. Getting onto I-4 from the 417 is a mess, and is gridlocked until past Haines Creek more often than not.

If they get lucky, sure, that works. But I-4 is just too unpredictable. I can understand wanting to avoid it.
Too late to edit. I meant Haines City, and not Haines Creek — two very different places. Oops
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top