Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Cigarettes Be Allowed On Florida Beaches?
Yes 7 18.42%
No 31 81.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 06:19 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,229,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I think banning ciggies on the beach goes too far, and I am not even a smoker.
You know how things work. The folks who dispose of their butts get judged by the ones who don't. Very unfair I agree, but I hate to see whatever is living in the ocean ingesting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2022, 06:01 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
I didn't vote yes, or no....here's why...

...Smoking should be banned only on crowded beaches where there's ample parking, & restooms, because that is where most beachgoers congregate. Also where's there's lifeguards, because that is where families go.

However, even in these "banned" areas, designated smoking areas should be allowed at the end downwind so the smoke blows away from the crowds, and butt disposal receptables should be plentiful, & emptied regularly.

Even if they banned ALL smoking on ALL FLA beaches, its would be unenforceable because there are too many miles of beaches and not enough enforcement personnel. You can always find a remote beach to smoke on w/o being near people, or law enforcement.

If I want to smoke a cigar on the beach, I walk far away from anyone who could potentially smell it, but I understand that not all smokers are as considerate. The smell of cigs is repulsive to me.

Old 09-05-2022, 06:30 AM

I agree Most of smokers (of everything/lol) are "considerate". And I make sure to thank them. Then you have the others who feel they own the air on earth.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:22 PM

2,822 posts, read 1,928,869 times
I'm split.

I don't smoke and never have, but I also don't find it that offensive if someone is smoking on the beach, particularly if they're a bit secluded and the beach isn't crowded with everyone on top of one another.

I do think it's obnoxious if people throw their butts in the sand or trash the beach. That infuriates me.

I spend 90% of my beach time in the water, though. Either surfing or swimming. Or on a jet ski!

I've never been a ''Sit on the beach and sunbathe'' person, even though I go to the beach more than most people.

Old 09-05-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runninglikethieves View Post
I'm split.

I don't smoke and never have, but I also don't find it that offensive if someone is smoking on the beach, particularly if they're a bit secluded and the beach isn't crowded with everyone on top of one another.

I do think it's obnoxious if people throw their butts in the sand or trash the beach. That infuriates me.

I spend 90% of my beach time in the water, though. Either surfing or swimming. Or on a jet ski!

I've never been a ''Sit on the beach and sunbathe'' person, even though I go to the beach more than most people.

Old 09-05-2022, 07:56 PM

17,201 posts, read 15,390,629 times
I just don’t want to smell it. If every cig smoker could be considerate enough to MOVE AWAY FROM PEOPLE when they want to smoke (such as my very best friend) then fine. Most smokers I have encountered do not care, and seem to think we should all tolerate the stench of the cig smoke. It STINKS, and it’s freaking TOXIC.

Old 09-05-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I just don’t want to smell it. If every cig smoker could be considerate enough to MOVE AWAY FROM PEOPLE when they want to smoke (such as my very best friend) then fine. Most smokers I have encountered do not care, and seem to think we should all tolerate the stench of the cig smoke. It STINKS, and it’s freaking TOXIC.
It is so much fun when they "bath" in cologne or perfume. Yuk!! Lol, as bad as the cigarette smell!!!

Old 09-06-2022, 09:14 PM

Any opinions?

25 mins ago (Tuesday - September 6, 2022)

Some Florida cities and counties move forward with smoking bans on beaches, parks

https://www.fox13news.com/news/some-...-beaches-parks

Old 09-14-2022, 07:33 PM

Any opinions?

***A big thank you to the 24 members who voted! Anyone else?***

I don't mind vaping as long as they are not in my face with it as there are no "butts" left behind.

2 hours ago (Wednesday - September 14, 2022)

Florida smoking ban: More cities ban smoking at beaches and parks

WINDERMERE, Fla. — Smoking and vaping are no longer allowed at public parks in Windermere. Town leaders unanimously passed an ordinance approving the ban on Tuesday night.

“I think it’s a win for our community,” said resident Andy Dame.

Town manager Robert Smith said they made the move after listening to the people who live here.

“We love our community. We want to make sure we’re doing what’s best for the environment, what’s best for our health, best for our kids,” he said.

Smith said they approved the no smoking, no vaping ban after Florida passed a law this summer giving cities and towns the power to decide. And Windermere isn’t the only one. The list below includes other cities that have passed bans after the new state law was passed.

Smoking bans:
- Daytona Beach Shores: No smoking at parks

- South Daytona Beach: No smoking or vaping at parks

- Miami Beach: No smoking at beaches and parks

- Palm Bay: No smoking or vaping at parks

Places like Oviedo already had a ban in the books for a while. Meanwhile, Melbourne and St. Cloud are now looking into it.

Smith said people violating the ban will be ticketed $100. But he said punishment isn’t the focus.

“We’re not really trying to punish people. We’re just trying to educate them. And hopefully, let them know if you are going to smoke that’s fine, but you just can’t do it here. You have to do it somewhere else," he said.

https://www.wesh.com/article/smoking...aches/41217945

Old 09-15-2022, 06:45 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I really don't know why they would do that, except for the litter. I suppose it must be getting out of hand.
Why should people outside have to put up with cigarette smoke ?

I don't like even being downwind from it.

Smokers can smoke in their cars, at home alone or with people who don't mind, or elsewhere indoors alone or with people who don't mind.

I hope the ban comes to fruition .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida