Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,871,062 times

Advertisements

In the first course, you are taught mainly LAW. Are you thinking law is trivial? That's an interesting concept. You are taught what brokers should/shouldn't do so you can protect yourself should you make an error and not go with a broker who knows their stuff. You are taught the penalties for not following the law and protecting your customers and the integrity of the profession.
From there, you take additional courses. You are required to take continuing education. Your broker is there to teach you how to do time management and the various steps from listing to close, how paperwork in that office is handled etc. You're an independent contractor. Learn your trade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,335,567 times
To the poster - this is only the first step in a long learning lesson for the potential realtor. You need to look at the whole picture. First you pass the test then comes the hard part - most realtors are, for lack of better explanation, journeymen, for years.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:03 PM

4,892 posts, read 14,081,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Local joke is that more people in Florida have real estate licences than drivers licenses!
When I was licensed back in 1992, it was every 3rd person in FL had their RE license...but you have to remember, it's tough to break in, it's an "old boys" game, and out of all of those with their licenses, 20% are doing the selling....

RE is not what it used to be and your best off with the old school agents.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:45 PM

445 posts, read 1,676,804 times
Default professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
Yes, but you can take it multiple times and misses the point.
Does 63 hours and a High School diploma make a professional?

Well, that is the point isn't it?
Are doctors and lawyers a professional group? Yes, College and University.
Real Estate agents although touted as professionals are not.

Again, that's the question. It could be changed in Fl? All it takes is for Tallahassee to change it.
_

Just because someone has many years of school, letters after a name etc does not make them a professional. I have known many realtors whom are more professional than any physician. I have known many with only a high school diploma and no other trade who are more professional than some realtors. I know some realtors who are real scumbags and I know some attorneys and physicians who are the same.
So, what exactly is the point?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:15 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbied View Post
Just because someone has many years of school, letters after a name etc does not make them a professional. I have known many realtors whom are more professional than any physician. I have known many with only a high school diploma and no other trade who are more professional than some realtors. I know some realtors who are real scumbags and I know some attorneys and physicians who are the same.
So, what exactly is the point?
Your point is a reality of todays culture. Only the true professional will stand to the standards of the applicable industry.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:42 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,135,697 times
Just because someone has a license doesn't make them a "Professional" in their chosen business. Time and experience dealing with the ever changing - and challenging- economy and clients does.

After over 20 years of being in real estate myself and considering myself a Professional in it, I still see others that shouldn't be in the business. What can I do? Nothing, except pick up and try to fix the mistakes they make with my deals so it all ends up done correctly and legally.

I also see many others in different chosen professions who shouldn't be in theirs. Like the others who are also Professionals in Real Estate said.... how long it takes to get a license in anything doesn't make you any better- YOU make it better because you choose to. I make it my business to care about what I do, my clients, and doing things right. Many don't. After over 20 years, I'm still here....

Old 06-01-2008, 02:43 PM

670 posts, read 1,734,832 times
Talking Ok, I concede the point

I was wrong.
I read the posts and upon reflection see that you guys make more sense than I do.
Now that I think about it, there are a lot of bad hairstylists around, and they do 1200 hours, so hours are not an issue.
Many pointed out lack of professionalism in doctors, lawyers, or for that matter, a hairstylist.
Someone pointed out being a journeyman for years.
Sunrico pointed out culture in general.
Someone called me out on the MLS, and they are correct, he said something to the effect that if I do not like it I can feel free to start my own.
Moreover, I have used the MLS through a flat fee $199 service and nothing beats it.
I could quibble about certain things but it seems silly.
So, whatever is bugging me about agents in Fl has nothing to do with the OP and I admit I was mistaken.

Old 06-01-2008, 04:56 PM

627 posts, read 2,841,055 times
Hahahahaha a Hahahahahah

OK I had to laugh, because as a former Realtor, licensed in another state, where CEU requirements where higher and the initial class runs well over $1200 (not as little as $195) and is 3 times longer in classroom time.... I asked that very SAME thing (but only to myself).

After working with agents here, I personally CAN see a huge difference.

However, no amount of classroom education can determine one as "Professional", that comes from years of tried and true experience in any field… and is certainly nothing for any real estate sales agent or Realtor to get angry over (when or if the question is asked).

Old 06-01-2008, 10:22 PM

670 posts, read 1,734,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyHomeIsInOcala View Post
Hahahahaha a Hahahahahah

OK I had to laugh, because as a former Realtor, licensed in another state, where CEU requirements where higher and the initial class runs well over $1200 (not as little as $195) and is 3 times longer in classroom time.... I asked that very SAME thing (but only to myself).

After working with agents here, I personally CAN see a huge difference.

However, no amount of classroom education can determine one as "Professional", that comes from years of tried and true experience in any field… and is certainly nothing for any real estate sales agent or Realtor to get angry over (when or if the question is asked).
You are not the only one with that opinion.
from a Realtor in the RealEstateProffessionals forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Hey, Real Estate is ridiculously expensive to be in and it's only worse with the gas prices going up like they are. Internet may have created better exposure but it sure has made marketing cost go up as a whole. BTW, your MLS dues are very affordable in TX as ours are $135 a quarter or something like that.

I would very much like to see Real Estate become more professional business oriented. That would require most of the part timers leaving. It will only happen when they increase education requirements. Technology and expense won't be the death of real estate, unprofessional Realtors that companies continue to hire and retain them will be. Perhaps it's because I came from another field where I ran a company division for 5 years but it's beyond me why it's done. I would never, as a Broker in Charge, keep around some of the people I've had to deal with or see in the business (probably why I'll never be or want to be a BIC).
However, I still stand corrected.
Upon reflection any business is entitled to a lobbyist group. Even tobacco has PR representation.
And that is where my beef is, with NAR propaganda.
So, although better education might / probably would help, I admit I was wrong in my OP.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,089,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbravo View Post
You are not the only one with that opinion.
from a Realtor in the RealEstateProffessionals forum:

However, I still stand corrected.
Upon reflection any business is entitled to a lobbyist group. Even tobacco has PR representation.
And that is where my beef is, with NAR propaganda.
So, although better education might / probably would help, I admit I was wrong in my OP.
The success of any professional is based on integrity and standards. If we follow the rules (regarless of career) we will display (hopefully) a professional standard. Again is to the individual not the career, as they say at church is not about me.

Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida