U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 08:33 AM

3,777 posts, read 3,995,941 times

Advertisements

Kind of looking at the Gainesville area as a possibility to rent,however outside of the tricky college area there doesn't seem to be much available. Also is everywhere in Florida that pricey for apartments? I've been hearing that more people from CA and NY are moving in and pushing up the costs...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2022, 01:49 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,289,266 times
Do a search of apartments in Alachua County, rather than just Gainesville proper. That way, you’ll get hits on apartments that are in the unincorporated areas and also nearby cities (Newberry and Alachua for example).

It’s wild how much the cost of housing has increased in Florida, even in the Gainesville area which has historically seen smaller, incremental gains. My informal findings, talking to new people in the neighborhood show that although some have moved from California and NY, most have relocated here from other areas of the state that have a higher cost of living. We’re a prime example; in my 8 home cul-de-sac, half of the neighborhood came from either SE or SW Florida. Three moved in from out of state (TN, NY and GA). Only one original is owner left!

Good luck. No way would I have predicted such demand, and increased prices, when we moved here 7 years ago.

Old 11-20-2022, 02:20 PM

24,898 posts, read 39,188,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Kind of looking at the Gainesville area as a possibility to rent,however outside of the tricky college area there doesn't seem to be much available. Also is everywhere in Florida that pricey for apartments? I've been hearing that more people from CA and NY are moving in and pushing up the costs...
That's fiction.

The issue is rental community developers are building only luxury communities with all the bells and whistles
(a swanky clubhouse, saltwater pools, gated security, key fob entry, decked out fitness centers, dog parks, car wash centers, valet trash, stainless/granite kitchens etc) versus nice middle of the road options that could be more affordable.

Are you focused only on FL? There are other options in the Southeast that are much more affordable and equally to more desirable.

Old 11-20-2022, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Do a search of apartments in Alachua County, rather than just Gainesville proper. That way, you’ll get hits on apartments that are in the unincorporated areas and also nearby cities (Newberry and Alachua for example).

It’s wild how much the cost of housing has increased in Florida, even in the Gainesville area which has historically seen smaller, incremental gains.

Good luck. No way would I have predicted such demand, and increased prices, when we moved here 7 years ago.
I did do a search in the outskirts and it said 'no results'...perhaps I should try on another site but I assumed since most of the rentals were in Gainesville that there probably wouldn't be much left outside of there,especially the 'less desirable' outskirts. Unpopular to most,but desirable to me.

I am basically looking for a warm climate around mid state(so I don't have to deal with the coastal hurricanes)

Old 11-20-2022, 08:01 PM

2,324 posts, read 1,308,533 times
Quote:
I did do a search in the outskirts and it said 'no results'...perhaps I should try on another site but I assumed since most of the rentals were in Gainesville that there probably wouldn't be much left outside of there,especially the 'less desirable' outskirts. Unpopular to most,but desirable to me.

I am basically looking for a warm climate around mid state(so I don't have to deal with the coastal hurricanes)
It'd help a whole lot if you (and everyone else seeking housing in Florida) would mention how much you can spend, or at the very least - what you consider "pricey."

What's pricey to a penniless person is just pennies to a wealthy person. Wealth is subjective. Also are you looking for an apartment, condo, free-standing home? Would you entertain a manufactured home as an option, or is it a deal-breaker?

Are you by yourself, or do you have family? Will you have a job when you get here, or are you coming with savings and just hoping to find a job after moving in? Or, are you retiring and considering Florida for your retirement home?

Saying "I'm looking in Gainesville and prices are high" doesn't give anyone here anything to go on, in terms of helping you.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:47 PM

Quote:
https://www.zillow.com/alachua-county-fl/apartments/I did do a search in the outskirts and it said 'no results'...perhaps I should try on another site but I assumed since most of the rentals were in Gainesville that there probably wouldn't be much left outside of there,especially the 'less desirable' outskirts. Unpopular to most,but desirable to me.

I did not set any price parameters but when I did a search, I got 2480 hits on apartments.com:

https://www.apartments.com/alachua-county-fl/

160 results in Zillow:

https://www.zillow.com/alachua-county-fl/apartments/

And 2473 at apartmentfinder.com

https://www.apartmentfinder.com/Flor...nty-Apartments

Newberry and Alachua touch the border of western and northern unincorporated Gainesville. They are right next door.

Old 11-20-2022, 09:52 PM

Also, the cities of Newberry and Alachua are popular choices for people not wanting to be next door to college students. Pretty much anything west of I75 is considered less student friendly.

Old 11-21-2022, 07:30 AM

15,428 posts, read 18,640,915 times
Quote:

Hurricanes aren't a big deal. Its a pay attention for 3-4 months of the year and every 4-5 years one will end up in your backyard. I've lived in S. FL always within 10 miles of the coast for the last 47 years. Never evacuated once, never had an insurance claim of any type car/home (storm related).

Old 11-21-2022, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It'd help a whole lot if you (and everyone else seeking housing in Florida) would mention how much you can spend, or at the very least - what you consider "pricey."

What's pricey to a penniless person is just pennies to a wealthy person. Wealth is subjective. Also are you looking for an apartment, condo, free-standing home? Would you entertain a manufactured home as an option, or is it a deal-breaker?

Are you by yourself, or do you have family? Will you have a job when you get here, or are you coming with savings and just hoping to find a job after moving in? Or, are you retiring and considering Florida for your retirement home?

Saying "I'm looking in Gainesville and prices are high" doesn't give anyone here anything to go on, in terms of helping you.
Higher than the average I should say,or around $1000 a month.

I may have my wife with me,but I'll have to set up work in advance as my company doesn't have any locations nearby. It's not a retirement either,a snowbird thing or if I can't swing that then just full time.

Old 11-21-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
I did not set any price parameters but when I did a search, I got 2480 hits on apartments.com

160 results in Zillow

And 2473 at apartmentfinder.com
Zillow tends to lean towards the higher prices,but I only touched on Apartments.com which is what I used to find my most recent place. I'll also check out the others when I get a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: