Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 06:23 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_and_dd View Post
You will not spend a morning in st Pete and be to punta Gorda for lunch. Way too far (and traffic between). My suggestion, spend the half day in Clearwater, and go to st Pete the next. I definitely suggest the Dali museum (in my opinion -not to be missed), but take the tour. They will show you so many hidden things in the paintings you would have missed on your own.

Half way between st Pete and punta Gorda is Sarasota. See the Ringling estate. If you like architecture, Cad Zan (the house on the bay) is not to be missed.
Sounds like we will probably skip it unless our friends in clearwater want to go there instead of sitting on the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2023, 12:21 PM

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions. We loved our trip it was marvelous.

We noticed some interesting unique things about Florida.

There is no one big central city or cities like many states have. Instead there are a lot of semi-large cities all over the place.

Banyan trees are the coolest thing ever. So is the glowing water near Cape Canaveral. So is dry Tortugas park. Initially Key west was a big disappointment. It took a while for us to get through the boring chain and fast food part and find the cool part. Then it was an amazing place. So lively and fun. I want to go back for a week or so just to enjoy the vibe.

Clearwater was just another touristy beach town full of drunks, but St. Petersburg was awesome. We really enjoyed the farmers market and the outdoor art festival (and the banyan trees).

Only one day was pushing it too much and that was going to Florida City after we got back from the Dry Tortugas. That is the longest four hour drive I can remember, ever. Seemed like 12 hours. Plus the Wyndam (Wynn?) hotel in Florida city was awful. You get what you pay for (except they should have paid us to stay there).

It was a fun vacation rather than a relaxing one, but it was super fun and super memorable. Looking forward to coming back for some longer visits after we retire.

I think we met more people from Michigan than we did from Florida. At the clearwater aquarium 0olphin show, everyone in the bleacher we were in was from Michigan. At a bar in a resort near Naples (out in the swamp), the waitress was born in the same Michigan city, same hospital, and same year as I was. All of the patrons that we met in that bar were from Michigan and we met most of the people there. Our neighbors at the resort hotel we stayed at in Long Key were from Michigan. Pretty much every bar or restaurant we went to was at least partially Michigan people. We have thoroughly infested the place. The Floridians that we did meet were welcoming, fun to meet, and full of character.

Love all the murals. Especially in Punta Gorda and in Miami. Ice House tavern was fun and delicious. Again mostly Michigan people there too.

My wife fell in love with Manatees. We found Manatees everywhere, except where they were supposed to be. A manatee popped up in a trash filled river that ran between our Miami hotel and a strip joint, but there was not one Manatee in Manatee lagoon at West Palm beach. We bought Manatee towels and now we have to find a manatee shower curtain for our newly re-done bathroom. I found one with flying manatees shooting flames form their mouths and burning a city, but that is not what she had in mind. (too bad, it is really amusing).

The area of Miami where our hotel was was both cool and somewhat scary (Biscayne and 78th or 79th street). The local CVS had bullet holes int he door and there was a stung out guy in the highway trying to punch passing cars. The hotel and restaurant were awesome though and lots of cool places in the area as well as slimy places. A big mix.

The beaches are nice. We did not find them amazing. You need some dunes, forests, lighthouses, and piers to break up the endless miles of sand. Also some pretty rocks. Sorry but I have to say that our beaches are nicer (in the summer anyway). Plus we have singing sand.

Gas prices were wildly different. From $3.09 to $3.89 sometimes within a mile of each other.

The weather was mostly perfect. Thanks for that too.

You have an awesome state and lots of awesome people in it (even or maybe especially the few who are not from Michigan). Congratulations.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-20-2023 at 12:30 PM..

Old 02-20-2023, 01:28 PM

140 posts, read 111,399 times
Glad you had a nice time. Come back to visit soon. Avoid Clearwater and check out Dunedin, Safety Harbor and Tarpon Springs, all of which are just north of Clearwater .

Old 02-20-2023, 01:29 PM

9,131 posts, read 6,180,105 times
There are many people from Michigan on the west coast of Florida.

I-75 starts in the Upper Peninsula, through the mid-west, and travels down the west coast of Florida to Naples. It's the road the transplants and sunbirds take from the mid-west.

The east coast of Florida has more of a New York vibe since I-95 comes from Boston (New England), through NY and down the east coast to Miami.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
There are many people from Michigan on the west coast of Florida.

I-75 starts in the Upper Peninsula, through the mid-west, and travels down the west coast of Florida to Naples. It's the road the transplants and sunbirds take from the mid-west.

The east coast of Florida has more of a New York vibe since I-95 comes from Boston (New England), through NY and down the east coast to Miami.

So, the guy strung out on drugs and trying tp punch cars going 45 mph is an east coast type? Probably from New York? ok i will buy that.

Old 02-20-2023, 02:41 PM

140 posts, read 111,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
So, the guy strung out on drugs and trying tp punch cars going 45 mph is an east coast type? Probably from New York? ok i will buy that.
No, he was probably on vacation from a place we Floridians don't like to talk about...Polk County.

Old 02-23-2023, 09:55 AM

119 posts, read 117,875 times
Nothing wrong with Polk County, home to Lakeland, home of Publix, and Winter Haven, with a very rich, long history of Native Americans, although a dark past with black settlers. Polk at one time was the major grower of oranges for the US...ditto phosphate. It is unfortunate that Polk has a disturbing past history of racial violence - so does Cook County, Fulton County, NOLA, Jefferson County AL, DC, NYC, Oakland, Shelby CountyTN and many others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida