U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 PM

9,738 posts, read 8,005,458 times

Advertisements

Moved to FL July 2005. Here are some observations.

1) Groceries are about 10-15% higher in Florida vs. Ohio. Example: Milk is about $3.35 / gal vs. $2.85 / gal. in OH.
2) Electric is higher. Sometimes by a lot.
3) Water is higher. Almost always by a lot.
4) Home insurance is massively higher.
5) Auto insurance is typically higher.
6) They deliberately grow crabgrass down here. Yes they call it Floratam but any Midwesterner would call it crab grass. GET A SELF POWERED MOWER! It is like pushing a mower through sand. You will get a workout.
7) It used to be NYC/ New Englanders would live on the East-I95 corridor and Midwesterners would live Orlando and West. This is no longer the case. NYC/ New Englander driving aggessiveness levels now prevail throughout the state. Adapt or be run over.
8) Housing is expensive compared to OH/ IN/ IL except Chicago etc. Any Californian will laugh at you for calling it expensive tho. 160K gets a decent single family house in a decent suburb with decent schools in the suburbs of Cleveland, OHIO. In most of florida 160K gets you a shack, a felon for a neighbor and a house that does not meet current hurricane codes.
9) WOW numbers of bugs and WOW numbers of reptiles eating said bugs. Fire ants could be their own thread.
10) In general there is more mixing of housing types in smaller areas. More 500K houses near trailers etc.
11) Most of the state seems to have schools organized by county rather than city. Fewer schools at both extreme ends seems to be most of the result. I donít see as many schools as bad as East Cleveland. I see many fewer good as Westlake, OH.
12) Less racial segregation unless your neighborhood is $500K+++.
13) People are more standoffish here.
14) Life here is MUCH more transient.
15) Car dealers are much more aggressive with addendum stickers (dealer installed options marked up massively) and the like.
16) Extra fee for first time registration of a car. I paid like $200 the first year each car.
17) In Ohio park means a place with grass, swings, a river, sports fields etc. In Florida it mostly means that will be $60.00 please. (Disney and the like)
18) Even el cheapo Disney gives FL residents discounts. Take advantage. Passes for Disney and Universal can be a good deal.
19) TONS of stuff to do from beaches to Disney to dinner theatres. Take advantage.
20) MUCH heavier traffic.
21) ***GET A SUNPASS*** Toll roads everywhere
22) Spanish is a reality. Not much you can do. The further south you go the more you see it. Most under 50 year olds speak English also even if they donít admit it to you. One good thing is a Cuban Sandwich. Mmmgood.
23) Most produce is not as good.
24) Publix uber alles. Both in domination in many areas and customer service you wont see much anywhere else in the grocery biz.
25) Doctors see sick people. Nurses do checkups and minor things. My son didnít see his doctor for over a year. In Ohio my sonís doctor even did checkups.
26) MANY doctors are full and donít take new patients.
27) Monster pickups that would be illegal in Ohio drive on the road here.
28) Some of the rednecks here are truly of the meanest lets-lets-light-a-family-pet-on-fire-and-laugh variety you will ever see. Yes even compared to SE Ohio. Note not all or even a majority of them but yikes the meanest ones are extreme.
29) Mail delivery much more variable and in some places MUCH MUCH MUCH worse. At our first place they lost ~10% of my mail. Where we are now seems MUCH better.
30) For generic banking go Suntrust, Wamu, or Amsouth for multiple locations of free in network cash machines.
31) Allow an extra day for mail delivery regardless of what the USPS says.
32) Much more dynamic economy.
33) A bad year in construction here pales a good year in Ohio.
34) More foreigners of all kinds from South Americans to Europeans.
35) I hear about more job gains here than job losses vs. in Ohio like XYZ company is laying off 500 employees.
36) Apartments can be hard to come by. Donít just show up unless you are willing to live in a motel for a while.
37) Rents are going up up up. Partly due to a general shortage and partly due to large increases in costs like insurance.
38) MANY houses are designed for people who want to entertain and not for families with 2 kids. Some genius decided that since Florida houses donít have basements they should also have smaller closets but bigger common areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 01:21 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,856,289 times
I agree with some of your statements: like, #1 through #6--but not all.
But then I am in the Panhandle, in the north.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:24 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,645,113 times
Well, with regards to #38.... it's kind of impossible to build basements in many parts of Florida because the water table is so high!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,095 times
Thanks for reminding me... that's why I left Florida. Went to western NC in the middle of nowhere and was ready to go back. So now where the hell am I gonna live?

Old 01-05-2007, 06:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,393,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherkate View Post
Thanks for reminding me... that's why I left Florida. Went to western NC in the middle of nowhere and was ready to go back. So now where the hell am I gonna live?
How did you happen to move to your current location? Seems like a radical move.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:20 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,241,467 times
Ottomobeale:

I agree with a lot of your post. This is what I take issue with:

1) I found mid-westerners to be outrageously agressive drivers. Then again, I lived in Fort Myers. Most of the mid-westerners were snowbirds and I don't think they were always operating on all cylinders. I mean their brains, not their "ottomobeales."

Example: I was in the left-turn lane at a light with my pre-school child. Snowbird was in the center, keep straight lane. During the duration of the red light, said snowbird leaned on the horn and wildly waved at me. When it turned green he took off like a shot, turned left and cut in front of me.

The seventy-something guy was clearly in the wrong but never quit trying to intimidate me.

These kind of antics happened all the time.

2) This is the most important!

You lament the fact that you will have to spend 500k to not be in a diverse neighborhood? Unfortunately, you will never see the problem with this statement. This is why I grew to hate mid-westerners in southwest Florida. Oh, I want to say so much more here, but I will refrain.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:26 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,393,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Moved to FL July 2005. Here are some observations.

1) Groceries are about 10-15% higher in Florida vs. Ohio. Example: Milk is about $3.35 / gal vs. $2.85 / gal. in OH.
2) Electric is higher. Sometimes by a lot.
3) Water is higher. Almost always by a lot.
4) Home insurance is massively higher.
5) Auto insurance is typically higher.
6) They deliberately grow crabgrass down here. Yes they call it Floratam but any Midwesterner would call it crab grass. GET A SELF POWERED MOWER! It is like pushing a mower through sand. You will get a workout.
7) It used to be NYC/ New Englanders would live on the East-I95 corridor and Midwesterners would live Orlando and West. This is no longer the case. NYC/ New Englander driving aggessiveness levels now prevail throughout the state. Adapt or be run over.
8) Housing is expensive compared to OH/ IN/ IL except Chicago etc. Any Californian will laugh at you for calling it expensive tho. 160K gets a decent single family house in a decent suburb with decent schools in the suburbs of Cleveland, OHIO. In most of florida 160K gets you a shack, a felon for a neighbor and a house that does not meet current hurricane codes.
9) WOW numbers of bugs and WOW numbers of reptiles eating said bugs. Fire ants could be their own thread.
10) In general there is more mixing of housing types in smaller areas. More 500K houses near trailers etc.
11) Most of the state seems to have schools organized by county rather than city. Fewer schools at both extreme ends seems to be most of the result. I don’t see as many schools as bad as East Cleveland. I see many fewer good as Westlake, OH.
12) Less racial segregation unless your neighborhood is $500K+++.
13) People are more standoffish here.
14) Life here is MUCH more transient.
15) Car dealers are much more aggressive with addendum stickers (dealer installed options marked up massively) and the like.
16) Extra fee for first time registration of a car. I paid like $200 the first year each car.
17) In Ohio park means a place with grass, swings, a river, sports fields etc. In Florida it mostly means that will be $60.00 please. (Disney and the like)
18) Even el cheapo Disney gives FL residents discounts. Take advantage. Passes for Disney and Universal can be a good deal.
19) TONS of stuff to do from beaches to Disney to dinner theatres. Take advantage.
20) MUCH heavier traffic.
21) ***GET A SUNPASS*** Toll roads everywhere
22) Spanish is a reality. Not much you can do. The further south you go the more you see it. Most under 50 year olds speak English also even if they don’t admit it to you. One good thing is a Cuban Sandwich. Mmmgood.
23) Most produce is not as good.
24) Publix uber alles. Both in domination in many areas and customer service you wont see much anywhere else in the grocery biz.
25) Doctors see sick people. Nurses do checkups and minor things. My son didn’t see his doctor for over a year. In Ohio my son’s doctor even did checkups.
26) MANY doctors are full and don’t take new patients.
27) Monster pickups that would be illegal in Ohio drive on the road here.
28) Some of the rednecks here are truly of the meanest lets-lets-light-a-family-pet-on-fire-and-laugh variety you will ever see. Yes even compared to SE Ohio. Note not all or even a majority of them but yikes the meanest ones are extreme.
29) Mail delivery much more variable and in some places MUCH MUCH MUCH worse. At our first place they lost ~10% of my mail. Where we are now seems MUCH better.
30) For generic banking go Suntrust, Wamu, or Amsouth for multiple locations of free in network cash machines.
31) Allow an extra day for mail delivery regardless of what the USPS says.
32) Much more dynamic economy.
33) A bad year in construction here pales a good year in Ohio.
34) More foreigners of all kinds from South Americans to Europeans.
35) I hear about more job gains here than job losses vs. in Ohio like XYZ company is laying off 500 employees.
36) Apartments can be hard to come by. Don’t just show up unless you are willing to live in a motel for a while.
37) Rents are going up up up. Partly due to a general shortage and partly due to large increases in costs like insurance.
38) MANY houses are designed for people who want to entertain and not for families with 2 kids. Some genius decided that since Florida houses don’t have basements they should also have smaller closets but bigger common areas.
A few are ridiculous and the rest are common knowledge. So why did you move here, you didn't have enough in your life to complain about?

Last edited by macguy; 01-06-2007 at 06:11 AM..

Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,856,289 times
lol macguy
One thing that (to my delight) has been much cheaper is seafood--esp shrimp and oysters.

Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 AM

4,337 posts, read 6,028,522 times
Re # 7...

I've lived in New England and I've lived in Chicago and I've never been so afraid to drive anywhere as I was in the Midwest. You guys are so use to that grid system over a flat terrain where you can see Iowa from Indiana and you drive way too fast for me. New Englanders may take some chances but I never saw speeding like I saw in the Midwest.

I did get a kick out of the crabgrass reference in # 6 though. And who knows why the mail take so long. Sometimes it actually disappears when it's mailed from down here.

Old 01-06-2007, 08:39 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,728,391 times
Most of the state seems to have schools organized by county rather than city. Fewer schools at both extreme ends seems to be most of the result. I don’t see as many schools as bad as East Cleveland. I see many fewer good as Westlake, OH.

) Spanish is a reality. Not much you can do. The further south you go the more you see it. Most under 50 year olds speak English also even if they don’t admit it to you. One good thing is a Cuban Sandwich. Mmmgood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or