Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2023, 05:58 PM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Versus my fiancé's 8-year-old niece in California being asked by her teacher what gender does she want to identify as along with every other kid in her classroom. To me that's crazier than banning a teacher from discussing gender identity. Her niece now says I'm a non-binary lesbian... AN 8-YEAR-OLD, why should an 8-year-old even know those terms. So, I would actually give Florida's education system a pro, not a con.
good grief.....an 8 yo doesn't even know what they are

isn't this wyrd? can't drink, can't drive a car, can't vote, ....can't even get a job

...and if they do something wrong....the parents are all of a sudden responsible

why? because they are not mature enough = not responsible

....but they can pick out what sex or orientation they are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2023, 05:51 PM

266 posts, read 261,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
I wouldn’t say Northeast Florida’s beaches are amazing. Honestly, they’re the worst in the state apart from Big Bend and the Keys which don’t really have beaches.
I lived in Jacksonville for over 10 years before moving to the Orlando area. I was not very fond of Jacksonville but the beaches were very nice, I thought. Considerably nicer than Cocoa Beach!

When I was at Cocoa Beach the last time, the beach was pretty full and kind of messy, and in the busiest section the beach did not slope gently down to the water but the sand was kind of "cut off" in places (looked more like a "sand step" down), which made it harder to walk along the beach. I was not impressed!
Jacksonville and Melbourne beaches are much nicer! They look the same to me, by the way: wide, long and sandy!

Old 03-02-2023, 12:04 AM

283 posts, read 288,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Worked for me, and millions of others. What are you getting at?
My life experience disproved the whole "Florida education system = bad" myth

I was a product of the FL public school system, Duval's, and also went through the Florida Univ. system. Then I went to work in the Northeast and DC, and was never impressed with the general quality intelligence these bright people from other parts of the country were supposed to possess. I was expecting to be blown away and somehow I found myself holding my own.

If a kid is smart and determined, they'll be ok in the FL schools. If they are a spaz, they will be a spaz in whatever corner of the US they reside.
--
But if the education myth somehow keeps people out, or lessens Florida's appeal, then I'll support it lol

Old 03-02-2023, 12:58 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
A good friend recently rented a 4/2 2200 sq ft home in Palm Coast for $1,850 a month. Its in a nice neighborhood. He has no issues with his 8 year old son's school and the education he's receiving. Palm Coast is pretty much a city-wide HOA. They're pretty fussy about the parking of RVs, boats and commercial vehicles within view of the street, the color you paint your house, the way you tend your yard. I know because I'm building a home there right now and the plans are going through the approval process. You can take that as a pro or a con. The worst thing you can say about Palm Coast is that its not a thrill a minute. Oh, and there is a Costco opening in Daytona Beach this year - 30 minute drive. Orlando and the parks are an hour away. That's nothing to me - I'm a Californian.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:06 AM

846 posts, read 680,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
If a kid is smart and determined, they'll be ok in the FL schools.
What if a kid has learning disabilities? What if a kid is a late-bloomer (aka they have potential to achieve well later in life), but they have difficulty learning in middle/high school? I wouldn't chance it on the Florida education system.

Old 03-04-2023, 11:24 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
What if a kid has learning disabilities? What if a kid is a late-bloomer (aka they have potential to achieve well later in life), but they have difficulty learning in middle/high school? I wouldn't chance it on the Florida education system.
Same thing could be said if a kid is an over-achiever, he or she won't be penalized for being White or Asian unlike in some other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida