Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 10:55 AM

846 posts, read 681,244 times

Advertisements

Even though people save money on taxes, they lose money in other areas.

Significantly housing costs than most of the US
You pay hundreds of dollars in HOA (in most areas)
You pay double in car insurance (than avg)
You pay double in property insurance (than avg)

You pay extra money no matter where you live. It's just a matter of paying where you think the most money will get value.

I'd rather come out of my bank account because it's funding health care than it going to car insurance because other drivers are recklessly going +20mph over the speed limit and getting out of accidents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 12:04 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post

You pay extra money no matter where you live. It's just a matter of paying where you think the most money will get value.

I'd rather come out of my bank account because it's funding health care than it going to car insurance because other drivers are recklessly going +20mph over the speed limit and getting out of accidents.
So - where we came from, we paid $360/month in condo fees when we lived in a condo. We had no amenities other than landscaping, snow plowing shoveling, and roof-clearing - road repair, etc. We didn't even have sidewalks. Because the developer owned most of the units, it didn't really matter if we voted on anything at all. It was one vote per unit, and he had the majority so what he said, went. When we moved to a free-standing house there were no HOA fees at all.

Where I live now in Florida, I pay no HOA at all, and $167/month amenity fee, which gives me access to hundreds of amenities, dozens of pools, executive golf courses, archery range, dog park, pickleball, rec centers, and over 3000 clubs in around 35 square miles (and counting) beautifully-landscaped common areas with over 70 square miles of restricted multi-modal paths and walking trails.

Our car insurance was just around what it is here, except we also had yearly car tax on top of our 4-year registration fee.

Our property tax for a 1024-square-foot house up north on a half acre of land was around $4000/year. Our current home, a manufactured home which is permanently tied to the 1/5 acre of land that we own (not rent) and has 1108 square feet, we pay around $1500/year in property tax.

Our homeowners insurance is around $2400 here. I don't recall what it was up north but with the savings on everything else, we can afford an increase, if we're paying more.

Old 03-03-2023, 01:34 PM

92 posts, read 75,422 times
As a small business owner, taxes are a BIG deal.

I started with my own money and every penny I had went into getting my biz off the ground.

Old 03-03-2023, 01:40 PM

7,924 posts, read 9,148,359 times
The OP always seems so miserable complaining about nearly everything Florida related (which certainly is his/her. right). The question is why keep living in such environment?

Life is too short to be miserable. Find a place that better suits your wants/needs

Last edited by NSHL10; 03-03-2023 at 01:50 PM..

Old 03-03-2023, 01:51 PM

11,428 posts, read 5,967,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post

The more you make, the more you pay in state taxes. For some people, they are still way ahead with the tradeoffs you listed.

Beyond that, most of what you list are relatively new and were not big deterrents in past decades.

Back when the federal government really heavily subsidized flood insurance, overall property insurance as much lower than today. 20 years ago, Florida housing costs were really cheap. Even 10 years ago, they weren't bad. The Covid boom changed that.

I think FL car insurance was always high, but a fraction what many would pay in state income tax for many moving there.

Florida is no longer cheap. Oh well. That is what demand does to a place.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:52 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,279,227 times
The tax benefit of living in Florida is proportional to income. If you’re broke, there’s no real advantage to being here.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:24 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
I lived in North Fl for 25 years 2200 sq ft ranch on 5 acres very happily,I 75,I 10 and I 95 at my door step,nice yearly winter trip to Biloxi etc,you made your choices. I did not pay taxes for many years'
I had better health care in FL than here.
Unfortunately age and health caught up,completely,totaly unhappy in Ct,miserable state to live in.

Old 03-03-2023, 06:27 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
I lived in North Fl for 25 years 2200 sq ft ranch on 5 acres very happily,I 75,I 10 and I 95 at my door step,nice yearly winter trip to Biloxi etc,you made your choices. I did not pay taxes for many years'
Unfortunately age and health caught up,completely,totaly unhappy in Ct,miserable state to live in.
This crazy forum says I have to wait 60 seconds between posts ,I have not posted today

Old 03-03-2023, 07:06 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
The tax benefit of living in Florida is proportional to income. If you’re broke, there’s no real advantage to being here.
This is even more evident at this time of year during tax season. Those who expect large lumpsums in "tax refunds" far exceeding what they paid in taxes during the year simply don't understand the huge difference that skipping the "state tax" portion of a tax return makes to those who don't qualify for such handouts.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:37 PM

140 posts, read 111,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I hope you find happiness again, friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida