Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:11 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times

Advertisements

I read in the Gainesville Sun online (actually a video clip) that they are presently spraying for mosquitoes in certain areas of the city. How common is this? Are the mosquitoes really bad in the Gainesville area? Do people have to stay inside when they are spraying for mosquitoes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 06:24 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
They spray a lot. Trucks, planes, etc. They say it isn't harmful, but anything that kills a living creature can't be good for others. I don't like to be outside when they are spraying.

If they didn't spray though, we would be living in a mosquito cloud. So if you hear the sprayer truck, go indoors for a while. They usually spray at night anyway.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:17 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Gainesville also has a lot of swamps which the mosquitos LOVE so to keep it under control they do spray. I live across the street from a lake and the town sprays here too for the same reason.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I read in the Gainesville Sun online (actually a video clip) that they are presently spraying for mosquitoes in certain areas of the city. How common is this? Are the mosquitoes really bad in the Gainesville area? Do people have to stay inside when they are spraying for mosquitoes?
If you are so worried about bugs, you should probably not live in Florida.

The whole state is full of mosquitos and many local jurisdictions spray for them. It is no worse in Gainesville than anywhere else. Just part of living here.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:09 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
If you are so worried about bugs, you should probably not live in Florida.

The whole state is full of mosquitos and many local jurisdictions spray for them. It is no worse in Gainesville than anywhere else. Just part of living here.
You are probably right. However, it's interesting that none of the books and info about retiring to Florida seem to mention the mosquitoes....

Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 PM

17 posts, read 68,286 times
Quote:
When I was a kid in the late 70s, we used to play a game with the mosquito truck, called FREEZE! When the truck came by spraying poison, we'd exaggerate our movements and FREEZE in whatever position we were in when the truck passed by our yard.

We obviously weren't affected by the poison as kids, so I wouldn't worry. But these days they spray with small airplanes. I don't let my kids play the same game. I make them come inside!

There's so much population growth that when the airplanes don't spray, the mosquitoes are terrible! Just walking from the door to the car we're covered with them.

But, hey, it's a small price for living in paradise!

Old 05-31-2008, 12:46 AM

1,781 posts, read 6,961,391 times
Quote:
You are probably right. However, it's interesting that none of the books and info about retiring to Florida seem to mention the mosquitoes....

Depends on where you live and how much rain has been falling, right now There are not many around my area.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:07 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,029,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funy View Post
We obviously weren't affected by the poison as kids,
Not yet.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:35 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,824,608 times
I live south of Gainesville, in the Ocala National Forest. Usually, the mosquitoes are so bad I can't even go outside. Right now, though, the villains are yellow flies.

Old 05-31-2008, 07:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
See link for reference:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida