Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM

6,103 posts, read 15,085,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhonda12519 View Post
thank u for ur reply & i have lived in this for 21yrs,last year i went through breast cancer,almost died,husband admitted to wanting me dead & probably in the back of my mind wanted to give up,but i stayed on this earth for my daughter.always afraid of my own shadow,counselors have even said they couldnt believe what courage i had & how loving i was.i have always let others decide how my life was going to turn out.first time in my life i want a New One! this is for my daughter & I will do whatever it takes to let her see that there is something better than this.I was the financial provider within the family before and got taken.Maybe it isnt the place to start over but maybe it is,i guess i wont know till i try.I have no family or friends,thats why i came here.It is just me & daughter. I have learned counselors,lawyers and others say"they understand,but how can anyone"If i told,people walked away from me(ran).so i stay quiet.my trip has now been canceled till june 16 due to another court hearing(figures)but no matter what im doing this.My counselor has even recommended that me and my daughter leave.He goes to court with me & works with the courts,he cant believe the system either he has even quit working for the system since & works for childrens crisis center now.So whats that saying?
Let me first say, that I don't know if any one can understand. For sure you are the only one that can make this decision, what is best for you, what is best for your child, and what can make you both happy and more secure in the circumstances that you've gone through. I would not try to discourage the decision you feel is right, or attempt to slow you down either. I just think that this has to be an emotional decision (which I know grossly under states that), and therefore, someone you trust, and respect, . . . can help you plan your moves, actions, and priorities in the decision you are about to make. Do you think that may help you make better decision than you might make on your own?

Don't fear failures, they are only temporary set-backs, and easily overcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 07:07 AM

65 posts, read 254,229 times
Rhonda- HAve you gone to Florida yet? How about Pensacola, Florida
You can probaly find a job waitressing or cleaning houses, or something I do not know your skills. Pensacola is beautiful and you might find the dream you are looking for. If my husbands job wasn't relocating us to Central Florida that would be my pick. I agree with one of the past post's contact a womans shelter, or a church (look on line) and see if they have some type of assistance programs. You are a strong woman who has delt with a lot more than a relocation. Just pick up and do it. Sounds like you and your daughter need a fresh start, and I just feel like Pensacola is the place for you. Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:39 AM

11 posts, read 48,899 times
contacted tons of shelters no help so far i can pay to rent something they cant guarantee room so i told them i had money to rent but no help,everyone wnats good credit & shelters cant refer me to job,ive called tons of jobs but cant hire me till i get there.im so tired.i thank u for ur reply

Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 AM

Quote:
contacted tons of shelters no help so far i can pay to rent something they cant guarantee room so i told them i had money to rent but no help,everyone wnats good credit & shelters cant refer me to job,ive called tons of jobs but cant hire me till i get there.im so tired.i thank u for ur reply

I am sorry I am not much help. I do know however how it feels to be tierd and frustrated, and giving up is not going to get you were you need to be. Maybe you can get a job at a motel / hotel on the beach and they can give you a break with a room till you figure things out. You said you are going to St. Augustine soon. Have you visited the area yet? Where are you moving from? How about a temp agency? I have a cousin that rents in Pensacola I will ask her what rent is where she is at, and get back with you.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:15 AM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile You might also consider...

Lakeland, FL

Small town feel
Lots of mom and pop shops
Look up Lakeland, FL on Google

Old 06-05-2008, 05:05 AM

Quote:

Rhonda- A nice apt. in Pensacola is going to be 475.00 - 700.00 for a 1 bedroom. A 2 bedroom will be 795.00 at a really nice apt complex. (governors gate....in pensacola...32514.....look it up on the web). This is all inland information, but Pensacola is all in close proximity to beaches, Wonderful schools, safe town, and I think affordable all around. You should be able to find work in at least a restaurant. There are offices and department store for work as well. I know you said St. Augustine, but here is another option. Good Luck with the move to where ever you go.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Lakeland, FL

Small town feel
Lots of mom and pop shops
Look up Lakeland, FL on Google
I agree with this. I live in Lakeland, and it's a wonderful town - non-touristy, clean, beautiful, affordable and family oriented. Plenty of stores, restaurants, businesses etc. where you could at least find an entry level job of some kind. There are also a good number of churches who may be able to assist you.

This is a link to the Lakeland Craigslist, which can help you find jobs, apartments and other things. If I can find anything else to help, I will come back and post.

craigslist: lakeland classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Good luck, my sister has been where you are and is doing fine now, so don't ever give up!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:05 PM

445 posts, read 1,682,944 times
Default take things into your own hands

Quote:
thank u i really dont know where to move in florida i am open to all suggestions i just know that my daugher is happy in the sun and water she is getting more & more depressed about living here in this i have been on craigs list and talked to alot of people renting but they were not to helpful so far..im so scared need to come to florida and make a new life,thank u for the number

It would be best off if you phoned a realtor in the area in which you want to live. I wouldnt trust anyone you did not know who offered to take you in and in that way give you a helping hand ..also you dont say what type of help specifically you need. Do you want a job? Do you want someone on the board to let you live with them? do you want someone to go and find you an apartment?
Your local woman's shelter is the best place to start. The woman in distress number you were provided is for local south florida residents. Your shelter where you live will help you with whatever questions you have. I know you are strong and can do this if you wanted to. Sometimes you do need to move to a place in order to be hired. Other boards have suggested people get a post office box or a box at UPS store in the city in which they want to live and utilize that as an address while applying for a job if you know for sure you will move to that city.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

No one can tell you where to go and where to live. You need to look at the job listings online, you have a computer so you would be able to do that. Or you can post a resume up on career builders.com or look for jobs online on that same site and call the numbers provided.

Last edited by Robbied; 06-05-2008 at 04:13 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 PM

17 posts, read 96,697 times
Go here: Food Resource Directory (http://www.flimpact.org/directory/index.cfm - broken link)

You can find resources in every FL county. Even if programs/organizations listed do not directly say "housing assistance", they might be able to point you in the right direction - as they're local orgs. that know the area and the resources available.[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Old 06-05-2008, 07:27 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,787,713 times
Maybe I am completely out of touch here but the theme here seems to be going off track.

The thread seems to have gone from help me get a job and housing in Florida to help me get into a shelter in Florida. I agree that a shelter may be able to help with referrals about her situation. What seems odd is to move from out of state to any shelter as long as it is in Florida. Wouldn't it be easier to move into a shelter closer to home, even in another town closer to home? I appreciate the need to escape the violence, but all the way to Florida to move into a shelter? Where you know no one? Am I missing something here?

She has also stated she can afford to rent so this further confuses me.

I do hope her trip goes well and she continues to post here.

Has she stated what state she is in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida