Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree View Post
the only natives in florida would be the indians
No, anyone who was born in Florida is a native. It doesn't matter if you're an Indian, American, Eskimo, or a damn shrub, If you're born somewhere, that's your home and your native land.

That said, the going joke for the last 20 years is that Florida's # 1 export is NOT oranges, it's natives.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:07 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtail View Post
Wow... someone needs Riddlin like NOW! Bitter much? As someone from Tennessee contemplating a move to either FL or CA, I can tell you my personal reason for relocation resides soley in the winter weather temps, and with the exception of alligators, we have everything you have desribed and then some, so please get off your high-horse and realize that the main reason ANYONE moves to Florida is the weather and the beaches. If Tennessee had Florida temps in the winter I wouldnt even waste my time pissing on Florida no matter how much beer I had.
hardtail, I'm a native Floridian that lived for a decade in Nashville, Florida isn't a good option, It may have never crossed your mind but give Texas a look. Similar weather to Florida but more jobs, opportunity, culture, and cheap cost of living that you're used to in Tennessee.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 PM

1 posts, read 8,706 times
I kinda here ya LM1. We feel the same way about Myrtle Beach.Russians and ghetto have over welmed us and crime is getting worse every year.I live 1mile from beach but still have white legs...lol. my father who lives in interlachen fl has become ill and so we are moving down there within a yr. I expect pay will be bad like it is here.we just wanna find a nice quiet town with low crime and hopefully a Traitor Joe's.some culture and history would be great. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:30 PM

143 posts, read 357,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsistee View Post
I kinda here ya LM1. We feel the same way about Myrtle Beach.Russians and ghetto have over welmed us and crime is getting worse every year.I live 1mile from beach but still have white legs...lol. my father who lives in interlachen fl has become ill and so we are moving down there within a yr. I expect pay will be bad like it is here.we just wanna find a nice quiet town with low crime and hopefully a Traitor Joe's.some culture and history would be great. Does anyone have any suggestions?
If you want somewhere with culture and history, stick to the panhandle and northern gulf coast area of the state, that's where you'll find more small and authentic towns. St. Augustine is on the Atlantic coast and is definitely cultural/historic. Tallahassee could be a great option, it's a city but isn't huge, and has a cool vibe, great college football and other sporting events, and restaurants, stuff to do...

I also like to recommend Mobile, Alabama when people are considering moving to Florida. Mobile is on the gulf and is beautifulllll. Great beach access (Gulf Shores, Dauphin Island, Bayou la Batre...) but not as touristy as FL, definitely has history, a strong southern culture (by southern I don't mean redneck or racist or anything like that, I mean sweet tea, biscuits and gravy, etc.).

Old 10-22-2013, 04:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
Alabama sounds nice. Are there any professional jobs there? Engineering?

Old 10-22-2013, 09:30 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
continued...

8) All animals in Florida either bite or sting. Poisonous snakes, alligators, insects, bears, panthers, mosquitoes, chiggers, flies, wild boar, etc. Do not pet any of the wildlife, or else you will die. Furthermore, all freshwater in Florida, without a single exception, has Alligators. Hot, muggy day and you want to go for a swim? See ya on the news...

9) As things stand today, most everyone living in Florida is really from someplace else. As such, the state has attained a very transient, almost callous feel to it that many people never get comfortable with. It is impossible to understand or explain this phenomenon; it’s something that must be experienced first hand in order to truly understand it. If you are coming to Florida from someplace where your roots run deep, I would suggest that you not unpack all of your boxes for at least the first 5 years. Florida is the one state that everyone is excited to move into, motivated by grand visions of beaches and Mickey Mouse, but in many instances, those same people are just as excited to leave and go back home when reality sets in.

10) After you’ve lived here for 10 years, you can officially join the ranks of all the other idiots who moved here 10 years ago and presently bitch about how much things have changed and how much better it was before all of these damn people moved here.
11) It's cold in north Florida in the winter. Literally freezing below 32 degrees cold on many winter nights. .

Old 10-23-2013, 04:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou91 View Post
If you want somewhere with culture and history, stick to the panhandle and northern gulf coast area of the state, that's where you'll find more small and authentic towns. St. Augustine is on the Atlantic coast and is definitely cultural/historic. Tallahassee could be a great option, it's a city but isn't huge, and has a cool vibe, great college football and other sporting events, and restaurants, stuff to do...

I also like to recommend Mobile, Alabama when people are considering moving to Florida. Mobile is on the gulf and is beautifulllll. Great beach access (Gulf Shores, Dauphin Island, Bayou la Batre...) but not as touristy as FL, definitely has history, a strong southern culture (by southern I don't mean redneck or racist or anything like that, I mean sweet tea, biscuits and gravy, etc.).
Have driven along the Alabama coast and it is indeed beautiful. Love Tally. Loved the panhandle but jobs were few. Love St Augustine but it was even more touristy than where I live, Amelia Island. Lots of history though, and more cultural events available in St Augustine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
11) It's cold in north Florida in the winter. Literally freezing below 32 degrees cold on many winter nights. .
We *definitely* get winter in north Florida, and fall, and spring--and winter can be cold. I once saw a brief flurry of sleet when I lived on the Gulf in the panhandle.

However, I don't know that I would say it freezes "many winter nights." Freezing is the exception rather than the rule. My pepper and tomato plants made it through this past winter.

It can indeed freeze, with even record-setting temperatures in the 20's. But it occurs in occasional brief increments. Compared to where I come from, (Colorado) winter in north Florida starts late and ends early. I open the windows at the end of October, and don't close them till the end of May.

Here are the average temperatures for Jacksonville

Averages: October: 61, November: 51, December: 44, January: 41, February: 45, March: 50.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:33 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post

4) The house I bought for $90,000 is now worth $400,000. Lucky me. If you buy my house tomorrow for $400,000, there’s a very real chance that it won’t be worth much more than that for the foreseeable future. Don’t ask a realtor who’s trying to sell you on a house about the state of the Florida housing market; talk to a person actually selling a house. Speculating on Florida Real Estate in the year 2006 is akin to buying tech-heavy mutual funds in late 1999. What it’s done in the past doesn’t mean anything for the future.

WHOA! Are you a wizard?

Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 PM

143 posts, read 357,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Alabama sounds nice. Are there any professional jobs there? Engineering?
Don't know anything about engineering, did a quick search online for engineering jobs in Mobile and there were some hits. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that professional jobs can be found in every state...

Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Have driven along the Alabama coast and it is indeed beautiful. Love Tally. Loved the panhandle but jobs were few. Love St Augustine but it was even more touristy than where I live, Amelia Island. Lots of history though, and more cultural events available in St Augustine.

We *definitely* get winter in north Florida, and fall, and spring--and winter can be cold. I once saw a brief flurry of sleet when I lived on the Gulf in the panhandle.

However, I don't know that I would say it freezes "many winter nights." Freezing is the exception rather than the rule. My pepper and tomato plants made it through this past winter.

It can indeed freeze, with even record-setting temperatures in the 20's. But it occurs in occasional brief increments. Compared to where I come from, (Colorado) winter in north Florida starts late and ends early. I open the windows at the end of October, and don't close them till the end of May.

Here are the average temperatures for Jacksonville

Averages: October: 61, November: 51, December: 44, January: 41, February: 45, March: 50.
32 is the freezing point. With those averages it's very often that overnight it gets to 32 a few months a year. I've seen it myself because I check the state lows on Wunderground in the winter and sometimes its colder in north Florida than it is in the NYC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida