U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 04:25 PM

15,112 posts, read 31,005,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Great post.
We will be doing the same thing. Everything goes except for personal items. It will be like starting all over again. Actually exciting now that the kids can pick their own stuff.
We have read that it is a nightmare for those who moved everything to Florida and decided it would be fun and exciting to just start all over and buy everything new.
Besides I want the cottage beachy wiht palms etc look in Florida and here we dont have anything much like that.
What ever we cannot give away will be donated to the Salvation Army.
We think that the way to go is to rent the largest Uhaul, once it is filled thats it, pull one vehicle and drive another and head to Florida!
Sunshine Chick - that is smart that you are going to start over with furniture and decorating - there is just nothing like the Florida lifestyle, and you will have a blast picking out that beachy cottage look for your furniture and decorating. We will soon be buying a second home here in Florida (even though we already live here - lol!) and we are going to do the same thing. There is just nothing like Florida, IMO, no place else really has this lifestyle, and as long as one picks the right town, it just can't be beat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:04 PM

436 posts, read 1,210,954 times
I agree Gypsychic! This is such a nice, refreshing post. It put a smile on my face too. My final move to Florida will be on June 16th. I have a uhaul trailor reserved for my final boxes of clothes and things from around the house. I am really scared to drive with it! The trip will be a long one as I am traveling with kids and 2 dogs! But I am so looking forward to what I now call our adventure. I officially made settlement last July but returned to Philadelphia to have our 2 daughters graduate from their schools and to sell our home in Philly (it took 14 months to sell, yikes!). Now that the year has passed, I look forward to calling Florida my home.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:51 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Sunshine Chick - that is smart that you are going to start over with furniture and decorating - there is just nothing like the Florida lifestyle, and you will have a blast picking out that beachy cottage look for your furniture and decorating. We will soon be buying a second home here in Florida (even though we already live here - lol!) and we are going to do the same thing. There is just nothing like Florida, IMO, no place else really has this lifestyle, and as long as one picks the right town, it just can't be beat!
Gypsychic, thank you, your post are always dead on informative and positive.
My mom always told me you wont ever know what something is like until you try it and we are making notes, planning visits, asking people we know who live in Florida, my hubby does some consultation work in Florida and talks to people there all the time.
We want to do the palm trees, cottage look and will be bringing nothing with us except for personal type items so we can start from scratch.
Thank you for your always positive postings.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:57 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I agree Gypsychic! This is such a nice, refreshing post. It put a smile on my face too. My final move to Florida will be on June 16th. I have a uhaul trailor reserved for my final boxes of clothes and things from around the house. I am really scared to drive with it! The trip will be a long one as I am traveling with kids and 2 dogs! But I am so looking forward to what I now call our adventure. I officially made settlement last July but returned to Philadelphia to have our 2 daughters graduate from their schools and to sell our home in Philly (it took 14 months to sell, yikes!). Now that the year has passed, I look forward to calling Florida my home.
Margel, congrats on selling your home. June 16th is not too far away. I wouldnt be able to sleep! How excited you must be. Just drive slow and take you time and you will be fine.
My question is what made you pick Odessa? It is on our short list of towns to visit soon. What are the ages of your kids if you do not mind.
Congrats on calling Florida home on June 16th, wow.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:01 PM

7,136 posts, read 10,979,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Congratulations! I hope to be making the same trip in the next year or so. Let me know how it goes. I'll be traveling form Cincinnati with three little dogs when I make the U-haul drive. Any tips or advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM

32 posts, read 163,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Maranatha44,

First, welcome to the forum. You posted an insightful first post. I concur with much of what you stated, and came to the same conclusions. It is evident by your forum name, etc, that we have many things in common.

As to bugs, you get used to them. I find an occasional "palmetto bug", (read cockroach), but have learned to spray for them, and keep things sealed, etc.

At first, the gecko/lizard things kind of freaked me out, but I'm used to them now.....amazing creatures. The gators in my back yard pond has not been friendly, and that is ok with me...cool to watch from a distance. Actually, I'd like to train the gators to eat the neighborhood squirrels.....squirrels down in Florida seem to love to climb on roofs an EAT THE LEAD OFF THE VENT PIPES ! Who would have thought??

That is not good for my roof, and I suspect, not good for the squirrels. When I am down there full time, (I'm back in NY now) those squirrels will be relocated, I assure you.

No place this side of the grave is perfect, but for me, Florida is an upgrade from NY. Both places have good and bad points. I go between both places, and cannot live down there full time for another few years, but get down there as much as I can. I'm still amazed that even now, Florida seems more like home to me then my lifetime in NY.

It is good to have fresh blood here, and to read a new, positive post. Please keep us posted on your transition.

Respectfully, Frank D.
I lived in FL for 47 yrs. I moved to SC three yrs. ago and am so glad I did. I finally have the experience of "seasons". My winters are not the intense snowy freezy winters so it's just such a treat.
The bugs and gators, etc. was just something I grew up with and never had a problem with.
After a divorce and two big hurricane hits, I was only too happy to get out of FL. I actually would not tell anyone to move south of Orlando (and not even in Orlando) it's just WAY too crowded any more. But then again, if that's what someone is looking for - knock yourself out.
After moving everything pretty much myself, I have already decided that if I were to ever move again, I would get rid of EVERYTHING.
I still have most of the family living in the Palm Bch. Cty. area but have no desire to ever go back even for a visit.
It's really funny how we all gravitate to another state. I can certainly understand how someone would like FL after having the long hard winters of the north.
I hope you enjoy it there - I know I enjoy my new area.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,911,274 times
thanks Frogcollector,
Glad you found such a rewarding new home. My Brother in law just bought a new home in SC and loves it. I look forward to visiting him soon on one of our trips back to Leesburg.

Enjoy!
Frank D.

Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 17,091,286 times
Hey, Frank...nice to see you.

We moved here about 11 months ago and are still lovin' every minute. DH just got back from 5 weeks in NNY visiting his parents and he could not wait to get back. He said he never realized how dreary it is up there. Sure, it's hot here, but like another poster said, you do your outside stuff early and stay in A/C the rest of the day. Me? I like to head out to the pool and hang out there in the afternoon or evening. I didn't move 1500+ miles to spend my whole day inside like I did up north during the winter. I'm outside every single day. Oh, and sitting on your front step on Christmas Eve with your S/O, watching all the lights, sipping a nice wine at 7:30 in the evening is just a little piece of heaven IMHO.

Someone mentioned the gated communities. We live in one and pay the monthly fees, but it's worth it to us. We get the use of the pool and hot tub and don't have to clean it or buy chemicals for it (at least not directly). There are all sorts of activities every single day which we can join or not. I know it's not for everybody, but we're glad we're here. Oh, DH's favorite part? He doesn't have to mow the lawn!

Thanks for the positivity.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
Margel, congrats on selling your home. June 16th is not too far away. I wouldnt be able to sleep! How excited you must be. Just drive slow and take you time and you will be fine.
My question is what made you pick Odessa? It is on our short list of towns to visit soon. What are the ages of your kids if you do not mind.
Congrats on calling Florida home on June 16th, wow.
Hi Sunshine Chick, I really like your posts. I find myself having to defend Florida from time to time myself. My problem with some of the negativity is that some people tend to blame the entire state for what they dislike in a certain area. If I judged all of Pennsylvania by what it is like in Philadelphia, then I would really dislike the state as a whole. But Pennsylvania is a beautiful state and it wouldn't be fair to do that....yet with many of these posters, the whole state of Florida is often described in really brutal terms. In answer to your question, I wanted to be close to a coast, but not too close due to costs and hurricanes. I wanted south of Orlando, but not too far south...again because of costs and hurricanes. So I pinpointed Pasco County, did a lot of research especially about schools and found that I liked the county as a whole. I visited Land o Lakes, Wesley Chapel and Odessa....all around one another. I liked all three but found the community that I liked best with good schools in Odessa. Where I live is close to the suncoast, to the schools, to shopping. It is more rural than crowded so it fit the bill. My husband has been there since last summer and I visited all year as much as I could afford. So far we have had no regrets. I am sure I will find things to not like about my area or the state in general as no place is perfect, but compared to where I am leaving, I think that I will be just fine. When is your move and what of Florida is in your #1 spot so far? Oh, I forgot to say I have 4 kids....my oldest is staying in Philly (job, duplex, and friends are there)he is 25, then my girls are 18, 15, 11 all moving with me plus 2 dogs.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Congratulations! I hope to be making the same trip in the next year or so. Let me know how it goes. I'll be traveling form Cincinnati with three little dogs when I make the U-haul drive. Any tips or advice you can give me would be appreciated.
Hi Sunnydee, thanks for the good wishes. As soon as I arrive and get settled, I'll let you know the pros and cons of my trip. I am really nervous about driving with the uhaul trailor behind me, but the guy at uhaul says it is like carrying a school bag! Um, we'll see about that. Anyway, I am trying to throw out as much as possible like anything I haven't used or looked at all year is going to trash or being given away. Packing is awful which is why I am online right now, any excuse to stop working!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or