U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 02:03 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,956,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
Packing is awful which is why I am online right now, any excuse to stop working!
I agree there are more pleasant things to do then to pack.
We call them possessions, not because we own them, but because they own us.

Some think we are nuts starting 3 years in advance. I'm not packing yet, but we are getting rid of a lot and not acquiring any more things. I'm tempted sometimes, but then say to myself, "I can do without that. I don't want to move it, and if I still want it in 3 years, I'll buy it down there".

I like the saying, "How do you eat an elephant....? One bite at a time"

Frank D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 02:05 PM

7,042 posts, read 7,002,885 times
Default Furniture moved to FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
Your post brought a smile to my face. I have thoroughly researched Florida communities in preparation for our big move. We've been debating bringing the furniture or buying new, so your post was very helpful to me - buy new except for sentimental pieces. Thanks and welcome to CD!
When I first moved to FL, a realtor told me that all the storage company businesses in FL were "full of furniture that never should have come to FL."

Old 06-09-2008, 02:08 PM

601 posts, read 1,745,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Well, it appears you saved money by making the move to florida and are able to get out year round. Im in northern illinois and would rather put up with intense heat for 3 months than intense/prolonged cold, damp, snowy weather for 6 months. Im moving to the Panhandle area about 15 miles inland . I hope it will be this coming Fall. How about as far as making new friends go ; do you find native-floridians welcoming to outsiders that move there ? Much road rage ? Does your cars finish fade ? And, whats the average sunny days in your locale ? Thanks.
We are doing just the opposite--- lived here in the panhandle for 12 years..had our fill. 6 months May through Oct is hot (and humid) It's not hard to make friends but keep in mind "southern hospitality" is on the surface only and you will still be a "yankee" to them no matter how long you live in Fl. The panhandle is known as lower LA (Lower Alabama)Yes your car's finish will fade if you don't have a garage and constantly leave it in full sun. Sunny most all days with a rain around 3pm every day in the summer. Just enough to make it so humid you'd swear you were in a sauna. It is very pretty here but you can't swim in the lakes due to gators and snakes. Red ants are something to be aware of. No place is perfect
but we are heading north..better pay, other "yankees", and cooler weather. And people with a full set of teeth

Old 06-09-2008, 03:19 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,268,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytripper View Post
We are doing just the opposite--- lived here in the panhandle for 12 years..had our fill. 6 months May through Oct is hot (and humid) It's not hard to make friends but keep in mind "southern hospitality" is on the surface only and you will still be a "yankee" to them no matter how long you live in Fl. The panhandle is known as lower LA (Lower Alabama)Yes your car's finish will fade if you don't have a garage and constantly leave it in full sun. Sunny most all days with a rain around 3pm every day in the summer. Just enough to make it so humid you'd swear you were in a sauna. It is very pretty here but you can't swim in the lakes due to gators and snakes. Red ants are something to be aware of. No place is perfect
but we are heading north..better pay, other "yankees", and cooler weather. And people with a full set of teeth
We are the opposite, going on 11 years, the weather is not a factor, so no complains, yes this weekend was super humid but is Florida. In our area Navarre (mostly military) is a great community, we have many folks from the north that relocated looking for a better way of life and they are staying and enjoying the view and life that the tourist pay big $$$.

I believe no one complains from a refreshing shower, actually is very dry this summer, we need rain. We go to BlackWater and we have not had any problems with gators and snakes. If you go to a secluded of the road locations that might be a problem. The only gator that I see is the one @ Hurlburt Field golf course. Don't have red ants in my lot and actually had no had any for 3 years...

I do agree with your comment " No place is perfect", because regarless of any location in the USA all have a limitation. For us this is a perfect location with a very secured job that allow me to retire for a 2nd time in 7 years. The community is supportive and is developing just like any other place in Florida.

I think most people do have a full set of teeth. Again a different view from another resident that really enjoys what this area...

Thanks...

Old 06-09-2008, 03:53 PM

I can only speak of our own experience.
I have found the people I have met in the Leesburg area to be the nicest, kindest people I've had the pleasure to meet. Perhaps some of that is "southern hospitality", as you call it, but whatever it is, it is nice. Even the waitresses are nice, your Turnpike people are 1000% nicer then the tollbooth operators we have up here on the NYS thruway. I hear words like "Yes Sir" and Ma'am" alot. Much more respect then we have here in NY.

Our neighborhood has embraced us in a way I never thought was imaginable, and I think I am a good enough judge of people to know insincerity when I see it.

I think it is perhaps that in our 55+ community, most of the people came from somewhere else, so that the neighbors become a type of family that somewhat replaces the real family members who live far away.

I know that you cannot judge a whole state from one neighborhood, but I am happy knowing that we "lucked out", and that our experience has been positive.

Frank D.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:27 AM

657 posts, read 1,631,913 times
i have been visiting a friend in florida west coast yearly now for 10 yrs. it is such an overwhelming feeling of home for me that it takes a while to get over the sadness of leaving once im back in CT. i have visited alot of places and never felt that way.
i was so happy when my husband went with me last year, and said he was ready to move!!!
i have been in the process of selling my home. its not selling. im so sad and getting impatient.
it is so nice to come here and read nice things.. helpful things.
i always find such nice friendly people when i come to florida.
i am a hairdresser. i found a job already if i can get there for sept. i cant believe how nice the owner of the salon is.. just welcomed me there after i sent an email and we had a phone converstation. we still havent met.
in my preparing for my licence transfer, ill tell you how wonderful it was dealing with the florida people on the phone vs. the CT people.
the lady from florida was so sweet and held a conversation, laughed and was so helpful.
the lady, in CT. rude, short and snippy, not helpful, and i had to call back for info.
I am willing to make the change.. we have one life, so take chances and if it isnt good then try again...
i wish you all the best in the new life you make for yourselves. stay positive.
PS... i am going to spend $5000 to buy oil for my house if i dont spend it on a moving company first....
i pray for the moving company!!!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:39 AM

460 posts, read 2,149,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maranatha44 View Post
I am a very analytical peson so I thoroughly examined every aspect of the move from CT. After several trips to Fl. we narrowed our area to central inland, ruling out hurricane prone and high priced sea coasts. Then I picked several towns and wrote to the chambers of commerce inquiring about their employers and their crime statistics. I subscribed to a couple of newspapers for several months to get an idea of town politics, crime and education, etc. (You can go online to Public Library and get many newspapers online for free) I kept talking to people in CT about moving to Florida. I always questioned the ones who said they used to live there but they hated it and moved back. The two most common answers I got were "we missed our family" and "there was nothing to do." One fella who complained about nothing to do sat in his tiny trailer all winter and never got out to meet anyone! So we prepared to miss our family and to get involved. We joined a church, make friends wherever we go, and plan annual trips to family in New England. We invite family and friends down and believe me, winters in N.E. have a way of sending folks to Florida!
I've seen questions about bugs! I hate bugs and would move if we had them. I went online to "DoYourOwnPestControl" and for about $100 I spray around the outside of our home for THREE years. No bugs! Gators are not predatory towards humans unless you live near northerners who feed them! Pay scale is very low here. I started making a list of things we would not need to buy in Florida: boots,winter coats, ice melt, snow tires, etc. We saved on state income taxes, property taxes, and insurance as well! Yes, it's hot here in the summer. So we adapted to the weather. You wouldn't go out at midnight in a January blizzard up north. You don't go out at noon in August in a heat wave! But I go out all summer at 7 am and work in my flower gardens until about 9 am. Then I work inside the house or go from A/C car to A/C store. Then I can go out in the gardens in the cool of the evening. Don't move into communities where you have to pay a monthly fee for the club house! The fees go up every year and then you can't sell the house. My only regret is bringing furniture down. The move was expensive ($5000) and the style didn't fit. I'd bring just personal belongings and then hit the yard sales, estate sales and Walmart. My annual elelctric bill averages $150 month & includes heat/cooling and cooking in my 3 bed/2 bath ranch.

Welcome! I agree with you 100% We have been in Florida for almost a year now and still couldnt be happier, but we also did tons of research beforehand!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:40 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,895,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Well, it appears you saved money by making the move to florida and are able to get out year round. Im in northern illinois and would rather put up with intense heat for 3 months than intense/prolonged cold, damp, snowy weather for 6 months. Im moving to the Panhandle area about 15 miles inland . I hope it will be this coming Fall. How about as far as making new friends go ; do you find native-floridians welcoming to outsiders that move there ? Much road rage ? Does your cars finish fade ? And, whats the average sunny days in your locale ? Thanks.
Yeah, having lived in Northern Illinois (Libertyville) and Florida (Orlando Area) I can certainly see your line of thinking..... Spring and fall are great, but THOSE winters are brutal....

One thing I really miss about Illinois though is the beautiful soil... Imagine actual dirt that is black...

Old 06-10-2008, 07:57 AM

460 posts, read 2,149,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Yeah, having lived in Northern Illinois (Libertyville) and Florida (Orlando Area) I can certainly see your line of thinking..... Spring and fall are great, but THOSE winters are brutal....

One thing I really miss about Illinois though is the beautiful soil... Imagine actual dirt that is black...
oh my, YES I have to say that that is the one thing about Illinois that I will miss, that good black dirt! I lived in central Illinois for 25 years before moving here to Florida.
I have really had to learn a lot about gardening down here. I have had some trouble getting certain things to grow that I never had problems with in Illinois, ha!
But thats ok, I am getting used to it!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM

There is a big difference in the soil between up here in NY and our home in Florida.

After digging out stumps, trees, etc in Florida, i have come to LOVE the fact that it is not hard clay, and there are NO STONES !!!!

It's so easy digging in Florida....I'm becoming a big fan of sand. The only danger is looking out for sprinkler lines.....

Frank D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or