U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:59 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,815,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranatha44 View Post
I am a very analytical peson so I thoroughly examined every aspect of the move from CT. After several trips to Fl. we narrowed our area to central inland, ruling out hurricane prone and high priced sea coasts. Then I picked several towns and wrote to the chambers of commerce inquiring about their employers and their crime statistics. I subscribed to a couple of newspapers for several months to get an idea of town politics, crime and education, etc. (You can go online to Public Library and get many newspapers online for free) I kept talking to people in CT about moving to Florida. I always questioned the ones who said they used to live there but they hated it and moved back. The two most common answers I got were "we missed our family" and "there was nothing to do." One fella who complained about nothing to do sat in his tiny trailer all winter and never got out to meet anyone! So we prepared to miss our family and to get involved. We joined a church, make friends wherever we go, and plan annual trips to family in New England. We invite family and friends down and believe me, winters in N.E. have a way of sending folks to Florida!
I've seen questions about bugs! I hate bugs and would move if we had them. I went online to "DoYourOwnPestControl" and for about $100 I spray around the outside of our home for THREE years. No bugs! Gators are not predatory towards humans unless you live near northerners who feed them! Pay scale is very low here. I started making a list of things we would not need to buy in Florida: boots,winter coats, ice melt, snow tires, etc. We saved on state income taxes, property taxes, and insurance as well! Yes, it's hot here in the summer. So we adapted to the weather. You wouldn't go out at midnight in a January blizzard up north. You don't go out at noon in August in a heat wave! But I go out all summer at 7 am and work in my flower gardens until about 9 am. Then I work inside the house or go from A/C car to A/C store. Then I can go out in the gardens in the cool of the evening. Don't move into communities where you have to pay a monthly fee for the club house! The fees go up every year and then you can't sell the house. My only regret is bringing furniture down. The move was expensive ($5000) and the style didn't fit. I'd bring just personal belongings and then hit the yard sales, estate sales and Walmart. My annual elelctric bill averages $150 month & includes heat/cooling and cooking in my 3 bed/2 bath ranch.
I'm so glad to see a positive post, you seem so reasonable in the way you approached your move to Florida.

I don't miss my family AT ALL and frankly if you can come to Florida and say there is nothing to do you have to be brain dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,960,584 times
The original post was from a new poster who knew what he wanted, did his research, and decided on Central Florida, and is happy.

It is a positive post. Be happy for that person, who, BTW, has not yet responded back, hopefully not scared away.

I suspect that there are people from every state, doing the same thing. Go to any of the C-D state forums and you will read about people excited about moving to that state. People are different, and thank God we have the freedom and choice to do that......not too many other countries out there that can brag about that freedom.

Let's not degrade this thread into another Good/bad Florida thread.....we already have too many of those!

FWTW, I swam every night last December in central Florida, while my up north friends were shoveling. I personally do not find Florida summers too hot to live, and my A/C does not run all year. (95 degrees outside of Buffalo yesterday) Hurricanes are not that big of a deal in the middle of central Florida where my home is. My heating/cooling bills in NY are higher then in Florida.

I am not trying to convince everyone that Florida is perfect....no place is. In a few years I'll need someone to buy my house up north. Thankfully, there will be people who love to ski, snowmobile, etc,etc, who will want to buy my house and will love western NY.

Frank D.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 9,437,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
The original post was from a new poster who knew what he wanted, did his research, and decided on Central Florida, and is happy.

It is a positive post. Be happy for that person, who, BTW, has not yet responded back, hopefully not scared away.

I suspect that there are people from every state, doing the same thing. Go to any of the C-D state forums and you will read about people excited about moving to that state. People are different, and thank God we have the freedom and choice to do that......not too many other countries out there that can brag about that freedom.

Let's not degrade this thread into another Good/bad Florida thread.....we already have too many of those!

FWTW, I swam every night last December in central Florida, while my up north friends were shoveling. I personally do not find Florida summers too hot to live, and my A/C does not run all year. (95 degrees outside of Buffalo yesterday) Hurricanes are not that big of a deal in the middle of central Florida where my home is. My heating/cooling bills in NY are higher then in Florida.

I am not trying to convince everyone that Florida is perfect....no place is. In a few years I'll need someone to buy my house up north. Thankfully, there will be people who love to ski, snowmobile, etc,etc, who will want to buy my house and will love western NY.

Frank D.
Unfortunately, Frank, many times threads that start with a defensive title or negative connotation (many times sublimaly written) are done so in order to see just how much drama can be stirred up. These posts are not written with sincerity but instead to get attention abeit it negative or positive. It's interesting to see how many times these OPs are 1st time posters who never respond or post again. But, they can come back & read what others have responded & see the bickering that was intended.

Maybe read the original post again, Frank... It is very well written and yet so very vague with the usual underlying theme of how if you don't like FL it's b/c you didn't do enough research....Please. And the title. Who asked the OP to leave? Nothing new here, Frank.

(And we have friends who want to be back near Buffalo. Just had their first child & want him to be near his grandparents. But, the job market is tough & they gotta stick it out until something opens up in his field).

You are very right though when you write how lucky we are that we can live anywhere, even at a whim. If we don't like it, we can leave. If we love it, we can stay. How very wonderful.

Last edited by 121804; 06-10-2008 at 04:41 PM..

Old 06-10-2008, 06:02 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,815,483 times
Its amazing how some people can find offense anywhere, even where it wasn't intended.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:48 PM

436 posts, read 1,214,249 times
I am sorry but why is it that anyone who seems to be happy about living in Florida gets such sh** from those who don't like it nor even live there. I understand Florida is not for everyone and that is not a perfect state by no means...what state is? But if someone posts that they are happy, why can't we be happy for them...give them at least that. Likewise, if someone is unhappy about their experiences, I respect their opinions as long as they are not blaming the whole state for the problems in one area. All I'm saying is lets be fair.

Old 06-11-2008, 04:53 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink flamingo View Post
hdzup3.... I feel for you, having a dream and not being able to realize it because your home isn't selling. Have you tried all the "tips" for helping to sell a house, like making sure it is very clean and uncluttered are probably the most important, less is more when it comes to selling, meaning less furniture in a room help it to look larger. Take a look at your home from a buyers perspective, is there anything that needs fixing, painting or just a good scrubbing? Paint your rooms in neutral colors, pack all of the nicknack's, photos and personal items away. Ask your real estate agent what can help.
yes, i am such a HGTV girl. lol. i did all the things you mentioned. the only thing i cant do is alot of extra spending.. actually it looks nice anyway, just some little things left such as trim work. we just are so strapped with money that we cant spare the extra right now to fix the little things. i took all the pics away. cleaned all the counters off. clean as best as can be maintained with two active little girls...
the hard part for us i think is the house is a raised ranch and it looks very average from outside. but inside we changed the floorplan and opened it up added and addition with all windows going out to a huge deck and we did the kitchen over. beautiful kitchen. new master bath too. but... if you dont come in you dont see.
my property is also beautiful. i hope when school gets out here it will spark some buyers. i have an interested couple but.. they are selling too.
thankyou for careing.

Old 06-11-2008, 11:32 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,899,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I am sorry but why is it that anyone who seems to be happy about living in Florida gets such sh** from those who don't like it nor even live there. I understand Florida is not for everyone and that is not a perfect state by no means...what state is? But if someone posts that they are happy, why can't we be happy for them...give them at least that. Likewise, if someone is unhappy about their experiences, I respect their opinions as long as they are not blaming the whole state for the problems in one area. All I'm saying is lets be fair.
Well, we've all been around in this forum long enough to know that it doesn't work that way and that it goes BOTH ways...

People who love it trying to convince those that don't to "just leave" and those who dislike it wondering how on earth those that like it can possibly stand another day.

Tell ya what though.... Whether intended or not the whining and faux, "What a breath of fresh air" comments from those who simply agree with an OP like this one definately do their part in fanning the flames as well and are EVERY bit an equal part of the problem.

If someone can just agree or add to the post without taking cheap shots or making implications about others maybe these threads wouldn't dissolve into bickering like they always do....

I don't care for Florida all that much but don't feel it necessary to bring it up in every thread, but the same people every time seem to find it necessary to type the same comments as always.... Let me paraphrase as it pretty much sounds the same every time with only slight variation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by positive respondant
"Thank you <insert OP username here> for such a refreshing post!!! GOOD FOR YOU in having such a positive outlook on Florida. I get SO tired of hearing all the whining and complaining about the heat or bugs all the time. If people didn't know that it was hot down here or that we had bugs then shame on them for not doing enough research into their move, right? I hope you continue to enjoy it down here and lead a wonderful life. Glad you found PARADISE!!!! "
I mean maybe these folks are just venting their frustrations with the forum (granted they do it over and over again), and don't even fathom that they're being antagonistic, but in bold, there it is and this is the kind of thing that gets posters who aren't a fan of the state swarming in to respond....

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 AM

6,561 posts, read 12,899,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
oh my, YES I have to say that that is the one thing about Illinois that I will miss, that good black dirt! I lived in central Illinois for 25 years before moving here to Florida.
I have really had to learn a lot about gardening down here. I have had some trouble getting certain things to grow that I never had problems with in Illinois, ha!
But thats ok, I am getting used to it!
Back to fun discussion..

One thing about Florida I'll say is that I never had a problem growing anything, but that included weeds as well unfortunately ...

I swear I'd lay out a beautiful flower bed, plant a great arrangement of plants and flowers and cover the whole thing in weed fabric and mulch and within a couple of weeks I'd have weeds that had sprung up and run all over...... Miraculous weeds with micro-fiber thin roots that went THROUGH the weed fabric by the hundreds.... Just shook my head and laughed and thought of that quote from Jurassic Park, "Life finds a way"...

Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM

24 posts, read 133,135 times
Maranatha - Thank you SO much for your post. I couldn't have read it at a better time. The time has finally come for me, our 2 daughter's, 2 cats and our dog to make the move to Land O' Lakes. My story is very much like Margels in that my husband has been in Tampa since last Aug. I stayed here to sell the house and for our oldest to graduate from high school. I have experienced every emotion as our move get's closer and your post helped me more than I can possibly tell you!

Old 06-11-2008, 01:13 PM

8,178 posts, read 16,561,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

Frank D.

I have to say is was a refreshing thread to read. If you read most of the threads you'd wonder why Florida has as big of population it does.
Some people just aren't happy unless they are unhappy.
To all the recent transplants....a warm Florida welcome to you all!
Please enjoy your new State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or