U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 12:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,671,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
When I came down last year, most of the houses we looked at were owned by retirees from the mid-west who wanted to move back because they missed their families.

I don't think people realize how much you miss your kids when you are thousands of miles away. My husband came here for a job and I followed 3 years later when my daughter graduated college. We never intended to retire here. It was only for 5 or 6 years until we can retire. Yet, it is still very rough. My daughter is getting married next year. We cannot be involved in any of that. We cannot be involved in helping them purchase their first home. It may even happen that I will not see my first grandchild when it is born. Is retirement in the Sunshine State worth all of that? I think a lot of those retirees, whose homes we looked at, didn't think so either.

As far as prices dropping, I guess it just depends. As they say, location, location, location. We are in a golf and country club development. Our section was built in 2001 and the average price then brand new was $255,000. My home was listed in 2006 for $460,000 (estate sale). The owner lowered it in 2007 to $375,000. We bought last December for $285,000. We low balled the owner and she took it because she wanted to be rid of it after all that time.

Yet, my neighbor had his home (same as ours) listed for almost two years at $520,000. He closed two days ago at $460,000. He sold to snowbirds from Pa. who have friends in this development and have been coming here for years.

I guess it just depends. Being in the right place at the right time? Just plain luck? I suppose ours too can go down, but how much less than the original price in 2001? Or maybe some people are just willing to pay more for the views (on lake/golf course)?

One can never know what will happen.
W.C. Fields was once quoted as saying that there is a sucker born every minute. Your neighbor found his "sucker", and he just happens to be from Pa!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 02:00 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times
Default Beauty and Real Estate are all in the eye of the beholder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
W.C. Fields was once quoted as saying that there is a sucker born every minute. Your neighbor found his "sucker", and he just happens to be from Pa!!
This beholder certainly would not have paid nearly half a million dollars for this house, Florida golf course or no Florida golf course!!!

Maybe I am just too old and far too jaded!!! But as we say where I am from, "Wanna buy a BRIDGE"?

Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,809,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Paradise is more than warm winters. Anyone moving, or retiring, to a location far from family should rethink. The price of fuel, airline tickets, etc... make the distance a whole lot farther especially for someone on a fixed income. Warm winter weather cannot replace a heart warmed by friends and family.
Thats THE point, part of the reason this is paradise FOR ME is that it IS far from family.
I can breathe, I can go about my daily business without being harassed. AND I can do it all in the sun.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times
Default I thought that too in my 20s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Thats THE point, part of the reason this is paradise FOR ME is that it IS far from family.
I can breathe, I can go about my daily business without being harassed. AND I can do it all in the sun.
when I first came here to be with a BF. It was not a good situation at home with my parents, especially my Dad. What I did find though in that time being away from them was that I missed them. I was on the phone nearly every single day talking to my Mom. Even my Dad would get on the phone to talk to me. He said to me, "You will always have a home here as long as I am alive".

Being away, made all the difference in the world. I missed them and my hometown more than I cared about my BF or Florida. I went home after six months.

Even though I eventually moved out on my own, I can tell you my relationship with my parents was 100% better having gone away and then come back.

That was 30 years ago. They have both passed on now. Make peace with your family. You only have one mother and one father. They will not be around forever. Even your siblings will be there long after your parents are gone. It is not good to be alienated from family.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,226 times
What part of central Florida did you settle on? Everything I look into has high costs for HOA fees. I am looking to move to Fl. from Tn. I have been here for 3 years and don't like it at all. Coming from NJ it sure was a change and talk about nothing to do.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM

31,382 posts, read 19,652,082 times
Quote:
Is it just your family, or is it everybody?

Old 06-12-2008, 04:09 PM

436 posts, read 1,214,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa7 View Post
Maranatha - Thank you SO much for your post. I couldn't have read it at a better time. The time has finally come for me, our 2 daughter's, 2 cats and our dog to make the move to Land O' Lakes. My story is very much like Margels in that my husband has been in Tampa since last Aug. I stayed here to sell the house and for our oldest to graduate from high school. I have experienced every emotion as our move get's closer and your post helped me more than I can possibly tell you!
Hi Leesa, I know exactly what you are going through. As I am preparing my final move, I have experienced every kind of emotion there is. That is why I liked this post. When you read others in which people are not happy...and everyone has their own situations and experiences....it does make you scared. What if that happens to me? What if I turn out to hate it? What if I then can't sell my home? Those are all actual realities that happen to people all the time, not only in Florida, but anywhere where people relocate many miles away. However, I did my research and have been back and forth many, many times this year. Everytime I was in my new home I didn't want to leave. It just feels right. I just figure nothing will get accomplished and nothing will ever change if I live my life afraid of the what if's. For me, I realized that I had to have the courage to imagine myself having a different life, and then taking the steps to make that become a reality. Although, it had its positives, I never really liked living in Philadelphia, but I won't go on that forum listing all the things I don't like because I realize those have been just my experiences, and for someone to really know, they have to try it out for themselves. Good luck in your move.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
when I first came here to be with a BF. It was not a good situation at home with my parents, especially my Dad. What I did find though in that time being away from them was that I missed them. I was on the phone nearly every single day talking to my Mom. Even my Dad would get on the phone to talk to me. He said to me, "You will always have a home here as long as I am alive".

Being away, made all the difference in the world. I missed them and my hometown more than I cared about my BF or Florida. I went home after six months.

Even though I eventually moved out on my own, I can tell you my relationship with my parents was 100% better having gone away and then come back.

That was 30 years ago. They have both passed on now. Make peace with your family. You only have one mother and one father. They will not be around forever. Even your siblings will be there long after your parents are gone. It is not good to be alienated from family.
There is no way to make peace in this case. There is only escape.

Quote:
Is it just your family, or is it everybody?
I do still have friends back home and we talk often but many of my friends have moved away from that little town. Its the sort of town that drags you down and sucks you in.

I don't ever want to go back. Here I feel free. I have been here now 7 years and I just feel better and better about my tme here.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:53 PM

31,382 posts, read 19,652,082 times
Default Is Florida a good place for anonymity?

Quote:
There is no way to make peace in this case. There is only escape.

I do still have friends back home and we talk often but many of my friends have moved away from that little town. Its the sort of town that drags you down and sucks you in.

I don't ever want to go back. Here I feel free. I have been here now 7 years and I just feel better and better about my tme here.
Do you have friends and intimate relationships in Florida or is it that Florida provides a higher than average environment for anonymity that atracts you?

Old 06-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Do you have friends and intimate relationships in Florida or is it that Florida provides a higher than average environment for anonymity that atracts you?
I do have friends here but the town I lived in, EVERYONE knew me and my family. I literally couldn't go to Walmart or the pharmacy without running into someone. HERE, of course I know a few people but I can go about my business without having people looking over my shoulder, without having people make up their minds about who I am because I am related to that certain family.

Then when you put on top of it that I love the sun, I love the warm, I love the beach, I love being in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or