U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 09:10 PM

10,736 posts, read 31,798,444 times

Advertisements

I keep hoping that all these people hating on Florida will mean that the price for property closer to the ocean may stay reasonable until I'm out of nursing school so I can afford a condo over on the gulf side one day. Its just my little dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 09:22 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,273,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
SunshineChick - As you know I live in Lakeland (Polk County) and I do NOT think you would like Bartow. Kind of backward over there, IMO, nothing downtown, half empty stores, seems to have a lot of bad crime from what I can see. Now I know nothing about Ft. Meade. You do know we love Lakeland. Parts of St. Pete are nice, there again it's more of a bigger city and has good areas and bad areas, so you will need to be careful. I've heard lots of good things about Dunedin, and also Tarpon Springs, nice but small towns. So I think it will depend on what your job situation, I can't recall if your covered on the job or income front. If you need to work or find jobs you will want to be in a larger town, or at least within commuting distance.

One thing I can guarantee you, since you are already enthused about Florida, you WILL find a town here that will make you feel you have found paradise - there is a great variety in this state - large, small, north, south, coast, inland- all with their own unique charms (and yes, negatives) I think the biggest problem you would face is having so many great places from which to choose!

Good luck, and have fun with your search!
~gypsychic~
Gypsychic, Thank you!
I know we will find the right town, we will move until we do.
We are very lucky to not have to have jobs in Florida, I am a stay at home mom and my hubby is a business consultant and only needs access to the airport in Tampa or Orlando as he travels to give speeches and training courses etc.
Looking at Bartow as the lady suggested I dont think it fits us at all, I have been researching it and its a no for us.
We are still sticking to a large area from Brooksville down to Venice areas and over to Clermont maybe. So, your right on with the idea that we will have a hard time choosing.

Its the fun of looking!

Your post are always pleasant and helpful. Thank you.

We are going to look at Lakeland, Dunedin, Tarpon, Odessa, Wesley Chapel, Port Richey and areas like that when we come down next trip.
Then we will look at Venice, Sarasota, Bradenton areas and those on the next trip in December.

We are in no hurry and have allot to look forward to.

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 AM

541 posts, read 1,817,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerby View Post
Have to agree with the OP who said her mother advised her you have to try things out otherwise you will never really know. Thats been my experience as well.

When I sold my house up in Chicago suburbs a few years ago, the man that bought it was retired. Widowed and anxious to get back up to Chitown from of all places Tucson AZ.

He had done all kinds of research, interviewed people on the phone, made many exploratory trips and dug into every nook and cranny of Tucson.

It was PERFECT for him, he decided. Right climate, right economy, hospitals, ratio of drs, traffic, taxes sunshine and on and on. (He was an engineer by training and VERY analytical.)

So what happened?

He moved lock stock and barrel down there and moved back up to Chicago 18 months later. Took a big loss on place he bought in Green Valley area in AZ and said he hated it!

As he was now buying my place, I asked him why he left Tucson so quickly. I mentioned it looked great in the tourist sites online. His answer was revealing:

"HE SAID....." I just never accounted for how I would FEEL once I got there"
It was not something I could QUANTIFY."

This is why I've come to believe most planning, research, opinion seeking is a big waste of time. Said another way, "You Won't Know... Until You Know".

....AND while its fun to read other's opinions of a place, its largely irrelevant too. "One Man's Meat Is Another Man's Poison" seems to applies here.

Example:Just after I've read a long 'lover letter' here to Florida, I'll scroll down a comment or two and read just as impassioned a claim that Florida is 'Satan With Beaches'. Worst Place on Earth, can't wait to get the H*ll out etc etc.

So, Opinions? Forget about it. ...Research? Waste of time.

You won't know, until you know. :-)
That is very true-living in a place is so different from just researching it from afar. We spent two years researching and planning our move to Florida (even visiting several times a year) and living here is nothing like we expected. Florida really changed in even a few short years! We came from MA with no debt and a lot of money in the bank. Well, Florida changed that We find it way more expensive here than up north yet we took a $30,000 a year pay cut!

This past weekend, we visited NH, MA and Maine for the first time in 3 ad 1/2 years and I forgot how beautiful it is up there. The beauty there far surpasses anything in Florida. The weather was great two of the days we were there and crappy the two other days (typical New England!)

We love the weather here from October-April but the summers stink. Did we know it was hot and humid in Florida-sure (we love the heat.) Did we expect to hate it so much day to day (esp. in work clothes)-no. Oh well live and learn!

Old 06-18-2008, 02:01 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,974,390 times
Default Maine is beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
That is very true-living in a place is so different from just researching it from afar. We spent two years researching and planning our move to Florida (even visiting several times a year) and living here is nothing like we expected. Florida really changed in even a few short years! We came from MA with no debt and a lot of money in the bank. Well, Florida changed that We find it way more expensive here than up north yet we took a $30,000 a year pay cut!

This past weekend, we visited NH, MA and Maine for the first time in 3 ad 1/2 years and I forgot how beautiful it is up there. The beauty there far surpasses anything in Florida. The weather was great two of the days we were there and crappy the two other days (typical New England!)

We love the weather here from October-April but the summers stink. Did we know it was hot and humid in Florida-sure (we love the heat.) Did we expect to hate it so much day to day (esp. in work clothes)-no. Oh well live and learn!
My daughter went to school there for 2 years. I loved ALL the seasons up there, yep, even the winters.

If I had the choice of living anywhere in the country, other than where I was born and raised (NY), I would definitely pick Maine.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 9,857 times
I just received an email that my post had responses. I'll SAY!!! So to those nice folks that want more, here's more of my humble thoughts. I went to Maine for a H.S. reunion. One woman asked why I moved to Florida and if I liked it. I responded in my cheerful way. I AM happy about the move and if I weren't, I'd move! She really got nasty to me telling me I sounded so narcisstic and how stupid I was to move to a place that had no seasons. She proceeded with all the usual (Northern) defenses: couldn't move away from family and friends, they heat with wood so cost of living is not all that high, they grow their own veggies, she loved the four seasons, loves skiing, snowmobiling, etc. I just listened and then said I was glad she was happy where she lived and I hoped realized I was happy where I lived. She continued to make little digs at our table. (I could care less how she felt and it didn't bother me.) First of all, Maine does have 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and Fourth of July! (I do love Maine -in the summer- and our family there). But I have seen the struggles of living in the north. Born in Clason Point, Bronx, NY, moved to Maine then to CT to raise our family. Bought in Florida when prices were low-small house, good bones, fixed up to our comfort. Florida has four seasons, too. Almost summer, summer, still summer and about 5 days a year when I have to wear a fall coat! I have been blessed in all the places I've lived and looking back I wouldn't trade my city life as a young child, nor my early teens in the back woods of Maine, nor the wonderful years living in CT. raising my family. But for us, Florida has been a good move for this time of our life. The day I looked out the window and saw my husband shoveling, blowing and plowing snow all day and into the night during one of those N'orEasters, was the day I vowed to sell my beloved CT home. A doctor once told me "You'll live ten years longer if you move to warmer weather. Cold weather is hard on the body." Now, after a tropical rain storm my husband picks up a few palm branches and takes them to the edge of the road for pickup. And he doesn't spend his summer cutting and stacking firewood for the winter. We had a pool in CT. and didn't want the hassle here. We have a hot tub on the back porch (Florida room!) and we have friends who live in gated communties in the winter. We visit them when they're here and we take care of their homes when they're not---so we sorta have a pool without the fees! Some of you have been good guessers. I agree that the average pay here stinks! Someone bragged to us the other day that their son was making really good money now--$14.00 an hour as a manager of Wal-mart! (My husband made $40 plus benefits and bonuses in CT eleven years ago and 1/2 that here now but we have other sources of income. He works because he enjoys it. Maine guys are workers! 'Cause that's where there's 'nothing to do!" Can't find those little white golf balls in 6 feet of snow! Anyway, I didn't write my first post to convince anyone to move here. I wrote it to those who already want to move here but need some encouragement. I think it's a bit scary to make a move across the country.
When I read some of your posts I thought to myself that I used to think this way or that way, too. Like the ones who wrote about my going out in the morning and evening and then running around in A/C or staying indoors. They liked the sun and beach. When I lived up north I hungered to see the sun and was out in it every chance. And when I had the skin cancer removed, I changed. My place here has lots of old oak trees, palm and fruit trees and I seek the shade. We also discovered something very strange. Our personalities have changed. It's almost like the sunshine got inside us; we have a different outlook on things. Maybe its because there are a lot of retirees here and we see ourselves in a few decades, needing things like a few extra seconds to hobble across the street holding up traffic, or struggling with arthritic fingers to dig change out of a purse. "Yes. ma'am, No, sir, That's okay, Take your time, I'm not in a hurry, No problem" has replaced our fretting and self-stressed daily lives and comments of "Yeah, yup, Nah, Hurry, Think I've got all day, I want your supervisor!" An example: I was shopping in Wal-mart one day and two women were standing in the middle of a food aisle. They were loudly complaining to one another about the shelves not being stacked full. Then they pointed to the pallets nearby and complained about them being in the way and why didn't the store stock things at night. I couldn't get by them because their carts blocked the way and they were pacing back and forth so I just watched and listened and smiled. Suddenly they turned and said "Do you live here year around? Is it like this all the time!?" I said "No, actually they have to stock the shelves day and night in the winter months. I sometimes shop in the wee hours of the morning to avoid the winter crowd. And in the summertime, we even have parking spots outside!" They started to laugh and said "You mean we bring these problems with us when we all come down here!! We're the problem!?!" They laughed and I said "Oh, no, we love our snow birds! We love when you come and when you go!" and we all laughed. Someone told me they didn't think Florida people were that friendly and I asked when were they down here and where did they go? They were at 'Dizzy' World in Orlando in the winter! I was probably having a backyard barbeque with friends and family as far away from crowds as possible, or horseback riding, or in Kissimmee State Park where the tiny deer will walk to within 10 feet of you, or to Silver Spurs Rodeo, or fishing in Lake Palcid, or on our pontoon boat or PWC, or just hanging out with all our new 'family' and friends here. We get annual passes to theme parks for not much more than tourists pay for a daily ticket. Passes are good all year and we go when the tourists go home! I'll close with this: there's no place, this side of heaven that's perfect. We've seen the news: storms, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, crime, high gas and food, unemployment, terrorists. It looks to me like there'll be a lot of folks from towns along the Mississippi that might be moving somewhere soon! I don't have the answer to where anyone can move to and be happy, safe, and satisfied. This move worked for me; that's all. I think the statistics are:10,000 people a month move to Florida; so I'm not trying to convince anyone to move here! It's beginning to get crowded; stay away; we have bugs everywhere and gators roaming our grocery aisles, low-flying aircraft by rookie terrorists, irritable snowbirds, blind drivers with blinking signal lights, nothing to do, no shopping malls, and politically incorrect people who will actually call you "Sugar babe, Honey-child and Cupcake! How dare they; call the ACLU! Maranatha!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:56 PM

Default I agree with that woman from Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by maranatha44 View Post
I just received an email that my post had responses. I'll SAY!!! So to those nice folks that want more, here's more of my humble thoughts. I went to Maine for a H.S. reunion. One woman asked why I moved to Florida and if I liked it. I responded in my cheerful way. I AM happy about the move and if I weren't, I'd move! She really got nasty to me telling me I sounded so narcisstic and how stupid I was to move to a place that had no seasons. She proceeded with all the usual (Northern) defenses: couldn't move away from family and friends, they heat with wood so cost of living is not all that high, they grow their own veggies, she loved the four seasons, loves skiing, snowmobiling, etc. I just listened and then said I was glad she was happy where she lived and I hoped realized I was happy where I lived. She continued to make little digs at our table. (I could care less how she felt and it didn't bother me.) First of all, Maine does have 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and Fourth of July! (I do love Maine -in the summer- and our family there). But I have seen the struggles of living in the north. Born in Clason Point, Bronx, NY, moved to Maine then to CT to raise our family. Bought in Florida when prices were low-small house, good bones, fixed up to our comfort. Florida has four seasons, too. Almost summer, summer, still summer and about 5 days a year when I have to wear a fall coat! I have been blessed in all the places I've lived and looking back I wouldn't trade my city life as a young child, nor my early teens in the back woods of Maine, nor the wonderful years living in CT. raising my family. But for us, Florida has been a good move for this time of our life. The day I looked out the window and saw my husband shoveling, blowing and plowing snow all day and into the night during one of those N'orEasters, was the day I vowed to sell my beloved CT home. A doctor once told me "You'll live ten years longer if you move to warmer weather. Cold weather is hard on the body." Now, after a tropical rain storm my husband picks up a few palm branches and takes them to the edge of the road for pickup. And he doesn't spend his summer cutting and stacking firewood for the winter. We had a pool in CT. and didn't want the hassle here. We have a hot tub on the back porch (Florida room!) and we have friends who live in gated communties in the winter. We visit them when they're here and we take care of their homes when they're not---so we sorta have a pool without the fees! Some of you have been good guessers. I agree that the average pay here stinks! Someone bragged to us the other day that their son was making really good money now--$14.00 an hour as a manager of Wal-mart! (My husband made $40 plus benefits and bonuses in CT eleven years ago and 1/2 that here now but we have other sources of income. He works because he enjoys it. Maine guys are workers! 'Cause that's where there's 'nothing to do!" Can't find those little white golf balls in 6 feet of snow! Anyway, I didn't write my first post to convince anyone to move here. I wrote it to those who already want to move here but need some encouragement. I think it's a bit scary to make a move across the country.
When I read some of your posts I thought to myself that I used to think this way or that way, too. Like the ones who wrote about my going out in the morning and evening and then running around in A/C or staying indoors. They liked the sun and beach. When I lived up north I hungered to see the sun and was out in it every chance. And when I had the skin cancer removed, I changed. My place here has lots of old oak trees, palm and fruit trees and I seek the shade. We also discovered something very strange. Our personalities have changed. It's almost like the sunshine got inside us; we have a different outlook on things. Maybe its because there are a lot of retirees here and we see ourselves in a few decades, needing things like a few extra seconds to hobble across the street holding up traffic, or struggling with arthritic fingers to dig change out of a purse. "Yes. ma'am, No, sir, That's okay, Take your time, I'm not in a hurry, No problem" has replaced our fretting and self-stressed daily lives and comments of "Yeah, yup, Nah, Hurry, Think I've got all day, I want your supervisor!" An example: I was shopping in Wal-mart one day and two women were standing in the middle of a food aisle. They were loudly complaining to one another about the shelves not being stacked full. Then they pointed to the pallets nearby and complained about them being in the way and why didn't the store stock things at night. I couldn't get by them because their carts blocked the way and they were pacing back and forth so I just watched and listened and smiled. Suddenly they turned and said "Do you live here year around? Is it like this all the time!?" I said "No, actually they have to stock the shelves day and night in the winter months. I sometimes shop in the wee hours of the morning to avoid the winter crowd. And in the summertime, we even have parking spots outside!" They started to laugh and said "You mean we bring these problems with us when we all come down here!! We're the problem!?!" They laughed and I said "Oh, no, we love our snow birds! We love when you come and when you go!" and we all laughed. Someone told me they didn't think Florida people were that friendly and I asked when were they down here and where did they go? They were at 'Dizzy' World in Orlando in the winter! I was probably having a backyard barbeque with friends and family as far away from crowds as possible, or horseback riding, or in Kissimmee State Park where the tiny deer will walk to within 10 feet of you, or to Silver Spurs Rodeo, or fishing in Lake Palcid, or on our pontoon boat or PWC, or just hanging out with all our new 'family' and friends here. We get annual passes to theme parks for not much more than tourists pay for a daily ticket. Passes are good all year and we go when the tourists go home! I'll close with this: there's no place, this side of heaven that's perfect. We've seen the news: storms, earthquakes, hurricanes, floods, crime, high gas and food, unemployment, terrorists. It looks to me like there'll be a lot of folks from towns along the Mississippi that might be moving somewhere soon! I don't have the answer to where anyone can move to and be happy, safe, and satisfied. This move worked for me; that's all. I think the statistics are:10,000 people a month move to Florida; so I'm not trying to convince anyone to move here! It's beginning to get crowded; stay away; we have bugs everywhere and gators roaming our grocery aisles, low-flying aircraft by rookie terrorists, irritable snowbirds, blind drivers with blinking signal lights, nothing to do, no shopping malls, and politically incorrect people who will actually call you "Sugar babe, Honey-child and Cupcake! How dare they; call the ACLU! Maranatha!
Perhaps that is the difference between choosing to live in Florida and being forced here by circumstances. I hate the HEAT. I consider Florida WINTERS to be the heat. Anything above 70 really bothers me. It always has even when I was a kid. My husband came down here for work 3 years before I did. I didn't have to look at him shoveling snow, because in those 3 years I HADE TO SHOVEL MYSELF. You know it really wasn't all that bad. I just took my time. If we had a big one with over a foot, somebody would stop by while I (58 years old, 5'2, 105 lbs.) was shoveling and offer to plow the driveway for me. The temps below freezing didn't bother me. Actually, I would go out when it was 10 degrees more than I would when it was 80 degrees. I always feel more ALIVE when it is cold out. All I want to do when it is hot is SLEEP.

I miss my daughters and they miss me. Seeing them once or twice a year just doesn't cut it. I didn't have kids to just abandon them when they became adults. Ok, I raised you, now it's my turn to live the way I want mentality. I think that is pure selfishness. My daughter said to me that she was thinking maybe when she retires of moving to Las Vegas. I said to her how do you think YOUR kids will feel if YOU move 2,000 miles away when they grow up? She said to me, "Wow! I hadn't thought about that."

As far as all those cutsy southern sugar babe, etc., terms, I wouldn't want a stranger saying that to me in my 20s, let alone as a Senior. I think they are very SEXIST. I am a grown, intelligent woman, wheither I am 20 or 60, not a piece of fluff or something. Besides, it is just plain PHONY. They say that to your face and what are they saying BEHIND your back?

Anyway, just my piece. To each his/her own. I am more like that Maine woman than probably 99.9% of the people living in Florida. If I won the lottery tomorrow and didn't have to work, I would be out of here in the blink of an eye.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:39 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,018,976 times
I really believe there's a place in the U.S. that will suit almost everyone. . . the exception being the chronic complainers.

I've always been thin, lived in the Midwest, and found I'm cold most of the year. Since I love being outside this is a problem. I've discovered, as I aged, that the cold bothers me more and more and aggravates my health issues. After vacationing in Florida for decades and in different months of the year. I'm quite anxious to close on my house and move to Florida. I look forward to one hundred more sunny days per year and the warmth. No place is perfect, but Florida suits me just fine. I wish all of you the best in your search for your special place and thank you for telling me why you love Florida too.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,279,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter went to school there for 2 years. I loved ALL the seasons up there, yep, even the winters.

If I had the choice of living anywhere in the country, other than where I was born and raised (NY), I would definitely pick Maine.
I'm a Maineac, born and raised. Maine is beautiful but you can't survive on beauty. The cost of living here is crushing. We have the second highest tax burden in the country. We have about the highest health insurance rates in the country. Wages are among the lowest in the country. The population is older than most other states. And the price of fuel, especially heating oil, has become prohibitive. If you use 1000 gallons of heating oil per season and the cost is $5.00 per gallon--well, you do the math. On top of that add the cost of electricity per month and most people are paying 10% or more of their disposable income on energy for the home. That doesn't include gas for the car(s). State government regulation has driven out most manufacturing jobs with the result that Maine is rapidly losing its middle class. A word of caution: if you're planning a move to Maine, look closely before you leap.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:25 PM

Default I'm fro LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
I'm a Maineac, born and raised. Maine is beautiful but you can't survive on beauty. The cost of living here is crushing. We have the second highest tax burden in the country. We have about the highest health insurance rates in the country. Wages are among the lowest in the country. The population is older than most other states. And the price of fuel, especially heating oil, has become prohibitive. If you use 1000 gallons of heating oil per season and the cost is $5.00 per gallon--well, you do the math. On top of that add the cost of electricity per month and most people are paying 10% or more of their disposable income on energy for the home. That doesn't include gas for the car(s). State government regulation has driven out most manufacturing jobs with the result that Maine is rapidly losing its middle class. A word of caution: if you're planning a move to Maine, look closely before you leap.
Long Island is more expensive than Maine. We have friends who live in Gorham and compared notes. Our property taxes alone back in 2004 were $10,000.

Anyway, even though I like Maine, I still want to move back to LI. Miss my kids, LI, and the change of seasons, especially the Fall and Winter. I just cannot take summer year round. As I get older, the HEAT is really getting to me. 80 degrees at Christmas is just not my cup of tea. I would KILL to have 30 or 40 degrees ANY TIME of year right now.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 PM

3,633 posts, read 8,537,320 times
Default "why I moved to Florida & I'm LEAVING!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I would KILL to have 30 or 40 degrees ANY TIME of year right now.
You and me both... I am already SICK of the 90 degree stuff, October(when I move back to Mass.) is not close enough... I figure I can endure 3 months of this, and keep my eyes on the prize!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or