U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 AM

561 posts, read 1,719,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Seems like not that many transplants from the NE are happy. The usual complaints are the lack of 4 seasons, the suburbs and the people(lack of "intellectuallity" for example) All I can say is when you hear the same complaints over and over, there is always some truth behind it.

You can't move here and expect to have the same life you have up there minus the winters. Don't expect natives to understand how great the NE is, because they didn't grow up in that kind of environment. You can't miss what you never had. It takes a year or two understand an area not weeks or months, even worse if you come an area on vacation. Also the place where you create childhood memories will always have a big impact on you. I know many Florida natives who move to other places only to come back a few years later

I can only imagine someone that has never moved how shocking it must be. Now with all the social networks and technologies it's very easy to be nostalgic or get the wrong picture about a new area.

This board is like a broken record, people are warned, they don't listen, they come, they complain and eventually they move back.
I can agree with this. Especially the part about people from the NE expecting to have the same life they did up here, down there, minus the winter. I was in that category a few years back.

Now that I have been back to CT, I appreciate it more than ever. I used to be one of the ones that always complained about the winter, back before I moved to Florida. Looking back, that was ALL I complained about. Little did I realize at the time what a great quality of life I had...because I didn't know any better. I thought all suburbs were pretty much the same (minus the weather). Reading a lot of Northeasterners posts on this board, many (not all), complain soley about the weather also.

A person needs to do some heavy reflecting and think for a minute... If all they have to complain about in life is the winter up here...then that is pretty damn good in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:42 AM

15,119 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Seems like not that many transplants from the NE are happy. The usual complaints are the lack of 4 seasons, the suburbs and the people(lack of "intellectuallity" for example) All I can say is when you hear the same complaints over and over, there is always some truth behind it.

You can't move here and expect to have the same life you have up there minus the winters. Don't expect natives to understand how great the NE is, because they didn't grow up in that kind of environment. You can't miss what you never had. It takes a year or two understand an area not weeks or months, even worse if you come an area on vacation. Also the place where you create childhood memories will always have a big impact on you. I know many Florida natives who move to other places only to come back a few years later

I can only imagine someone that has never moved how shocking it must be. Now with all the social networks and technologies it's very easy to be nostalgic or get the wrong picture about a new area.

This board is like a broken record, people are warned, they don't listen, they come, they complain and eventually they move back.
This is a great post - my husband and I were talking about that the other day. People almost always grow nostalgic and miss where they moved from. And since I grew up in Florida, this is the place I love. I think I would love it even if I weren't from here, since I love everything about the lifestyle here.

However my in-laws live in a depressing city in the midwest (I'll leave it unnamed) even though they have lived in nicer parts of the country and Europe, and always vacation here in Florida. That is where their roots are and they love it there.

TO VEROBEACH - Whatta you talking' about with the no crusty artisan bread! Here in Sarasota where I live we have oodles of ethnic bakeries with crusty authentic French or Italian bread. Even our Publixes make great artisan bread. And go to Tampa for delicious Cuban bread! So I don't want to hear about "no crusty artisan bread in ALL of Florida!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:59 AM

2,359 posts, read 4,479,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
I can agree with this. Especially the part about people from the NE expecting to have the same life they did up here, down there, minus the winter. I was in that category a few years back.

Now that I have been back to CT, I appreciate it more than ever. I used to be one of the ones that always complained about the winter, back before I moved to Florida. Looking back, that was ALL I complained about. Little did I realize at the time what a great quality of life I had...because I didn't know any better. I thought all suburbs were pretty much the same (minus the weather). Reading a lot of Northeasterners posts on this board, many (not all), complain soley about the weather also.

A person needs to do some heavy reflecting and think for a minute... If all they have to complain about in life is the winter up here...then that is pretty damn good in my book.
You got that right. The colder temps are a really small price to pay for the benefits received. There really is no comparison.

Last edited by Ken E; 11-23-2010 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-23-2010, 02:10 PM

4,337 posts, read 6,028,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

TO VEROBEACH - Whatta you talking' about with the no crusty artisan bread! Here in Sarasota where I live we have oodles of ethnic bakeries with crusty authentic French or Italian bread. Even our Publixes make great artisan bread. And go to Tampa for delicious Cuban bread! So I don't want to hear about "no crusty artisan bread in ALL of Florida!
With all due respect, gypsychc, they're not the same. We have a Fresh Market here in VB as well as numerous Publix Markets and it's just not the same.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:55 PM

15,119 posts, read 31,011,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
With all due respect, gypsychc, they're not the same. We have a Fresh Market here in VB as well as numerous Publix Markets and it's just not the same.
Well maybe those aren't, but have you actually been to the great French and Italian bakeries we have here (Sarasota)? If not, then you can't say there isn't any good crusty bread in Florida. My husband lived in France and says it's the real deal.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM

22,553 posts, read 47,241,467 times
And no amount of posting is probably going to change their minds. I knew particular areas and states were different from each other, but I never understood how different.

I didn't actually want to move to Florida, but even then, if you would have told me that so many things were so dissimilar I wouldn't have understood. I'm from Massachusetts, and even living in Knoxville it is more similar to New England than living in Florida.

Florida is an entity unto itself. Some people love it some people well, you know. But if you are a native I can really see you not liking other places because of that difference. However, there are some people, especially the older than 40 set, that like The South better, since it reminds them of what Florida use to be.

But yes, coming from New England, wow, Florida was something else entirely and you have to really experience it, day in and day out, to understand.

And folks that think that sunny weather is going to change their life really should move on down, I think. Like Mark says, it will give you a new perspective on life and what is really important. You'll quickly realize that there are other places that get little to no snow or move back home and have someone plow your driveway, for crying out loud. Shoveling is good for you. It's better than running from the house to the car and back for five months.

If you truly can't shovel there are still legions of kids willing to shovel. Heck, my mom is 76 and the neighbors just do it for her for free. She would never move out of New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post

Old 03-07-2014, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,098 times
Hey just found this post. I will be moving to Florida from New Hampshire next year. I have thought about it a lot. I am NOT moving just because of the weather, I do love the snow, although I hate the cold. I would honestly rather be complaining about how hot it is then complaining about how cold it is. I think there are better options for me down in Florida. Maybe a better job, a better life for my daughter, I have only been there once though. I went on vacation for about a week there. I will be moving into the St Petersburg area. I am pretty excited, and also very nervous and cautious. My family is moving down there with me so I will have support and no reason to move back up here. Hoping for a new life in a new chance.

Old 03-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedus View Post
Hey just found this post. I will be moving to Florida from New Hampshire next year. I have thought about it a lot. I am NOT moving just because of the weather, I do love the snow, although I hate the cold. I would honestly rather be complaining about how hot it is then complaining about how cold it is. I think there are better options for me down in Florida. Maybe a better job, a better life for my daughter, I have only been there once though. I went on vacation for about a week there. I will be moving into the St Petersburg area. I am pretty excited, and also very nervous and cautious. My family is moving down there with me so I will have support and no reason to move back up here. Hoping for a new life in a new chance.
Those vacations are pretty nice. I would do a lot of research before I made a major move like that. We moved from N.H. to Florida back in 2001 using knowledge that we had gathered over a 12 year period of taking weekly vacations. We finally moved down after a winter just like this year. Thought we had moved to heaven. Stayed ten years. Back in N.H. now. Best thing we ever did was move back. The cold weather isn't the only thing you'll be leaving behind. Good Luck.

Last edited by Ken E; 03-08-2014 at 01:10 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 03:12 AM

433 posts, read 864,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
Thought we had moved to heaven. Stayed ten years. Back in N.H. now. Best thing we ever did was move back. The cold weather isn't the only thing you'll be leaving behind. Good Luck.
So true. I too am from new england and reading this thread really hit me. Been seriously considering coming back to new england. God bless Florida, but its not what it use to be and its a shame. The transients have ruined the culture here, and there are many other problems.

Its an experience I will never forget and I will take lots I of awesome memories with me, but its time to come home.

Old 12-06-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
So true. I too am from new england and reading this thread really hit me. Been seriously considering coming back to new england. God bless Florida, but its not what it use to be and its a shame. The transients have ruined the culture here, and there are many other problems.

Its an experience I will never forget and I will take lots I of awesome memories with me, but its time to come home.
I know exactly how you feel. We really enjoyed most of the time that we lived in Florida. When we first moved down and for the first few years when everything was new it was pretty exciting. Having the ability do any kind of activity pretty much year round was nice at first, but a lot of things lost that "special" feeling you get when you have to wait for a different season to do certain activities. That's the thing I like the most about living back in N.H.. Just when you get tired of doing certain things another season is here with a lot of different things to do. I too am grateful for the time that I lived in Florida and also have a lot of awesome memories but I sure am glad that I moved back to N.H. There's really no place that I would rather live. Good Luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or