U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 07:11 PM

1,286 posts, read 3,177,588 times
Default Thank GOD he's not driving a car...

June 12, 2008

Man's fight for respect nets theft charge

By HEATHER SCOFIELD
Staff Writer
PALM COAST -- An 80-year-old man apparently stole a rider's motorcycle to "teach him a lesson" for cutting him off in traffic, according to a Flagler County Sheriff's Office charging affidavit.

But it may have been the wrong guy's motorcycle.

John Petyo, Palm Coast, was arrested and charged with grand theft last week after taking a motorcycle that didn't belong to him from a post office parking lot, according to an arrest affidavit from the Sheriff's Office.

Petyo was released the same day from the Flagler County jail after posting $1,000 bail.

Petyo said he is a disabled World War II veteran and an ex-New Jersey cop with two replaced knees and is legally blind. The motorcycle incident is the latest skirmish in what Petyo calls his ongoing battle to get respect on the streets.

He travels everywhere on his electric scooter. And he's had a few accidents with motorists in Palm Coast in the past year. Luckily he hasn't been more seriously hurt, he said.

"I almost get killed every darn day and I'm fed up with it," Petyo said. "Drivers don't look -- they just step on the gas and go."

Petyo said that in one accident, a stopped motorist didn't see him in the crosswalk and struck him, causing minor injuries.

In a second accident, a motorist hit Petyo in an intersection crosswalk in April. But in that accident, Petyo "put himself in undue danger" by entering the crosswalk when he knew it might not be safe, a Flagler County Sheriff's Office report states.

In another incident on June 2, Scott McNeil was working on his roof in Palm Coast when Petyo called up to him to move his vehicle from blocking the sidewalk, according to a Sheriff's Office report. Before McNeil could move it, Petyo began beating on the trunk of the car, causing some minor damage to it, the report states. Petyo was not charged.

In February, Petyo knocked down some cones along Belle Terre Parkway because he said they were in his way and he couldn't ride his scooter on the sidewalk because a portion of it was torn up for construction. He said deputies talked to him but did not ticket him.

When a motorcyclist "pulled right out in front of me without slowing down" on June 7, Petyo went looking for the bike. Petyo said he decided to teach the driver a lesson after seeing the motorcycle later the same day in a restricted parking area at a post office in Palm Coast.

"I wasn't going to take it, wasn't going to wreck it, I just planned to move it," Petyo said.

"I figured I would walk it down just about 20 feet," he said. "That's all, just trying to prove a point."

But Petyo may have confused the bike he was moving for another.

According to the incident report, a postal employee said the owner of the motorcycle had been delivering mail all day and couldn't possibly be the person who cut in front of Petyo's scooter. He noticed Petyo pushing the motorcycle and insisted he leave it alone, the report states.

Petyo refused.

The bike's owner, Dave Zierk, told deputies he'd had no contact with Petyo, according to the report.

"Can you believe it?" Petyo said incredulously. "They charged me with grand theft."

In an interview earlier this year, Petyo expressed his anger toward motorists.

"I'm going to carry a gun," he said. "I'm going to kill someone. But they are trying to kill me. I don't give a (expletive). I'm 80 years old. I probably wouldn't even go to jail. I'd shoot myself."

Would he really shoot someone for blocking a crosswalk or hitting his scooter?

Petyo responded that he didn't mean it, adding: "I'd probably shoot the car."

heather.scofield@news-jrnl.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 PM

729 posts, read 1,197,383 times
I've actually had an encounter with this guy before. I was in my work truck, turning right and I had the green light, and here he comes. I can tell he ain't stoppin so I'm just inching around the turn and he freaks out, starts cussin me out, gets in the middle of the road to block me and says "MAKE ME MOVE!!". So I did. I just kept driving slowly and he got out of my way.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:31 PM

He's a traffic hazard. Why has he not been charged?

Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM

thankfully, he was charged with grand theft, it says in the article.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:41 PM

6,349 posts, read 6,172,565 times
This old guy's a danger to himself and others. They better get him off the road before someone gets killed.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:38 AM

156 posts, read 20,235 times
I have a short little story about motorcycles and scooters. Even though this guy might be a pain in the butt, I have been to Palm Coast, and it is like crazy-land up there now. People cant drive and they run red lights like crazy. I have even read several things about it on the paper. But this guy is on a scooter, and therefore we need to be careful and watch out.

In Orlando, a woman fell off of her scooter in a busy street and crashed her scooter on the busy road. Nobody stopped to help her, nobody. And people were passing by just looking and nobody willing to give a hand.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:01 PM

Since the scooter seems to be his only mode of transportation, perhaps he should have chosen a more urban area to retire. The streets he's traveling on are 4-6 lanes & 45 mph. Palm Coast is no place to live if you don't drive a car. Almost none of the residential areas are within walking distance of stores or doctors. He has no business riding in that kind of traffic.

It's obvious from his comments and FSUMike's post that he's the agressor. And Sunnydee's correct. Somebody's going to get hurt. This guy is crazy.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:11 PM

156 posts, read 20,235 times
Where is this guy from that he feels the need to act this way?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:17 PM

According to the article, he's an ex-New Jersey cop.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:52 PM

598 posts, read 1,454,133 times
Oh I think he must have been up here in Clearwater not long ago! My hubby was driving thru a parking lot behind an old guy who slammed his brakes on to a dead stop and said he would blow my hubby's head off for getting too close (he cut my DH off!).

I had an 80+ old lady do the same thing (she was going 13? in a 25mph zone), spiked me several times then dead stopped and to my absolute amazement actually GOT OUT OF HER CAR yelling and flailing arms towards me like she was going to... hmm , not sure what exactly... kick my butt?? or something LOL I just drove around her and left.

CRAZINESS!!! Are they rationing their meds or something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida