U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 PM

17 posts, read 61,830 times

Advertisements

I'm jumping ship and moving to Europe for a business opportunity. My birthplace and lifelong home has grown too hostile. It will never be the affordable, friendly, recreational haven of yesteryear, but I can still wax nostalgic:

-Picnicking on the grass at a St. John's River City Band concert
-Having early morning breakfast at Famous Amos
-Ghost hunting at the St. Augustine light house
-Walking under ancient oak trees with spanish moss swaying in the breeze
-Lazy tubing down cold, clear springs, then warming up in the brilliant sun

I'll take these important lessons learned to my new homeland:

-I'm a guest, not a native
-Because I'm a guest, I'll honor the culture and adopt their attitudes and behavior
-I will learn the language - including the accent - and be patient when the natives cannot understand me
-I will find out the FACTS about my new homeland, experience it for myself, then form opinion based on my own values. I will not depend upon - or insult - others' opinions
-I will focus on the things I LIKE about the place I CHOSE to live. It is respectful to the natives who love their home

Sometimes it's good to see how NOT to do things!

Last edited by funy; 06-12-2008 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 09:58 PM

100 posts, read 328,741 times
when you went ghost hunting at the St. Augustine light house did you experience the type of things that the TV show "Ghost Hunters" captured on film?

I wish you the best of luck across the pond. I was stationed in England and Germany during my military days and enjoyed both places very much.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:25 PM

17 posts, read 61,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaandOhio View Post
when you went ghost hunting at the St. Augustine light house did you experience the type of things that the TV show "Ghost Hunters" captured on film?

I wish you the best of luck across the pond. I was stationed in England and Germany during my military days and enjoyed both places very much.
I hadn't seen the "Ghost Hunters" episode, so I just checked it out on YouTube. No, I didn't see shadows moving like they did! We did get 4 interesting EVPs in response to specific questions, though. I've experienced better "paranormal" activity elsewhere (like the tombstone of my deceased grandfather in Gilchrist County!), but the St Augustine lighthouse is so famous that I went there often.

I'm moving to Koln. Great to hear a Floridian who liked it there!

Meanwhile, I will use the transplants I experienced here as a negative example. I would feel like a total piece of garbage if I was so rude that it caused one person to leave her friends, family, and property! It feels TERRIBLE!

Last edited by funy; 06-12-2008 at 10:50 PM..

Old 06-13-2008, 06:45 AM

216 posts, read 767,943 times
Default funy

Thanks for a great post. Positive and practical, great advice for anyone moving to a new area......like me

Old 06-13-2008, 06:47 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,725,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funy View Post
I'm jumping ship and moving to Europe for a business opportunity. My birthplace and lifelong home has grown too hostile. It will never be the affordable, friendly, recreational haven of yesteryear, but I can still wax nostalgic:

-Because I'm a guest, I'll honor the culture and adopt their attitudes and behavior
-I will learn the language - including the accent - and be patient when the natives cannot understand me
-I will find out the FACTS about my new homeland, experience it for myself, then form opinion based on my own values. I will not depend upon - or insult - others' opinions
-I will focus on the things I LIKE about the place I CHOSE to live. It is respectful to the natives who love their home

Awesome post. I hope you will come back and tell us about your experiences with your move to Europe.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:26 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,272,154 times
It would be great if people coming to this country had your attitude.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:36 AM

7,136 posts, read 10,982,361 times
Quote:

Best wishes in your new location. I think you'll do great because attitude is
all so important in life's adventures and endeavors. Keep in touch with those of us across the pond.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM

367 posts, read 1,535,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
It would be great if people coming to this country had your attitude.
lots of us do, but many of us encountered natives that are not so friendly and willing to rip us off at the first opportunity taking advantage of our lack of knowledge. It can turn trusting immigrants into cynical and wary outsiders.

Its the diversity of every culture and population that makes it work for some and not others wherever you are. Good luck, where are you going?
Presume it's not UK unless you are planning to learn a gaelic language
- though there are some regions of Britain where you need to study the language and accent

Old 06-13-2008, 08:30 AM

100 posts, read 328,741 times
Quote:
I hadn't seen the "Ghost Hunters" episode, so I just checked it out on YouTube. No, I didn't see shadows moving like they did! We did get 4 interesting EVPs in response to specific questions, though. I've experienced better "paranormal" activity elsewhere (like the tombstone of my deceased grandfather in Gilchrist County!), but the St Augustine lighthouse is so famous that I went there often.

I'm moving to Koln. Great to hear a Floridian who liked it there!

Meanwhile, I will use the transplants I experienced here as a negative example. I would feel like a total piece of garbage if I was so rude that it caused one person to leave her friends, family, and property! It feels TERRIBLE!
Koln is a really nice area! If you love history you'll love exploring the city and surrounding countryside. The German language is a bit intimidating when you first try to learn it, but after awhile it will become very easy. A must trip is to Munich during Oktoberfest

Old 06-13-2008, 01:48 PM

216 posts, read 767,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimme View Post
it Would Be Great If People Coming To This Country Had Your Attitude.
Right On! :d:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or