U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 475 times

Advertisements

I was driving to work this morning, in the middle lane, going 78 miles an hour, the speed limit is only 70, however, I find myself having to speed even more to get away from these lunatics. This is Hwy. 75 going to Ft. Myers from Naples. I could actually see this guy going 80 just to get in front of me from the right hand lane. I really believe that this law should be looked into. There are way too many aggressive drivers that do not pay attention, nor leave enough room when they cut you off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,432,790 times
I agree that the left lane is for passing. You should get in the left lane, pass, and get back over. I am not a crazy speeder, but I do usually go 5-7 miles over the speed limit. When I am on the interstate, it is usually 10-15 over. I drive these speeds when you can see up ahead and I feel it is safe to do so. I don't understand the people who feel the need to go 15-20 over the speed limit on roads like 19 where there are red lights and cars that are pulling onto and off of the road at irregular intervals. I also don't think it is my job to police these people. I may not agree with it, but I think it is more dangerous to try to police them because then I would just make them do more dangerous things to get around me.

One thing that does annoy me is all of the people who don't realize it is dangerous and illegal to pass on the right. I am talking about the people who swerve in and out of traffic without even giving the people in the left lane the chance to move over. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen people do this. I have seen accidents where the swerver hit a car because the car was passing on the left and tried to get right back over, but the person behind them wasn't patient enough and decided to try to pass on the right. They both got over at the same time, but the swerver was going to fast to make a correction.

I have also had similar things happen to me. I am driving on the interstate. I see an opening in the left lane so I get over. I pass the 2 cars that are holding up the middle lane. As soon as there is a safe distance between my car and the ones I just passed, I try to get over (with my turn signal on). Unfortunately, now someone who came flying up behind me thinks it is ok to pass me on the right cutting off the person in the middle lane and squeezing into a space that is too small. They then cut right back over in front of me forcing me to take my foot off of the gas. Now I have fallen behind and need to get back up to speed and enough space to get back over. There is no one behind me, so I am not holding up traffic. Just as I am about to get enough space again, we start the pattern over again. I am not driving right at the speed limit. I am driving 15-20 over the speed limit. I am not trying to police the roads. I am trying to get back over. I just believe that it is important to make sure there is space between cars at those speeds. If you give me a chance to get over, I will.

Oh, and for those of you being passed, there is no need for you to speed up every time someone tries to pass you. I don't understand why you are perfectly fine driving the speed limit for 20 minutes, but as soon as someone from behind you gets over to pass you feel the need to speed up making it much harder for the person to pass and get back over quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida