U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:05 PM

436 posts, read 953,796 times

Advertisements

To me, they are both flat, over-crowded, malcontent and crime-filled concrete jungles. With that being said, I'd pick Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,152,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2Tampa View Post
Also fwiw, Pinellas County(St. Pete/Clearwater) is a lot smaller than Miami-Dade but it's the most densely populated county in Florida. Almost 3x more population density than Dade County.
Of course it is more dense than Miami-Dade county. Its not even close to the size of Miami Dade County. Also Miami-Dade has some rural areas and
[SIZE=3]uninhabitable [/SIZE]areas. But if you look at the actual cities Miami is much more dense. St. Pete is 4,162.7/sq mi while Miami is 11,483/sq mi Tampa is 2,969.6/sq mi and Miami Beach is 12,502.1/sq mi. The two areas dont compare in those stats either if you count the places people actually live. For someone that wants a dense place Miami is the easy choice.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM

Why the hell (excuse my french) would someone want to live in such a dense area? People actually go looking for "heavy densely" populated places to live now? No Mr./Mrs. Realtor, 12,345.67/sq mi is just not dense enough! We should just keep looking. LOL!

Last edited by HopToIt; 03-04-2009 at 08:47 PM..

Old 03-04-2009, 08:38 PM

8,376 posts, read 27,734,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
Why the hell (excuse my french)
That's kind of rude.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 PM

"Why the heck?" ..how about that?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:11 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,152,781 times
Quote:
Why the hell (excuse my french) would someone want to live in such a dense area? People actually go looking for "heavy densely" populated places to live now? No Mr./Mrs. Realtor, 12,345.67/sq mi is just not dense enough! We should just keep looking. LOL!
yea all those people who live in cities like SF,DC,NYC,Boston,Miami,LA what horrbible places to live Oh and dont forget about all those way to dense European cities like Paris and London.
Dense places are nice to live in becaues there is actually stuff to do, you can walk to a place to eat or shop. These are places that are dense are REAL Cities. People who want to live a city life like living in Dense places. I would hate to live in the suburbs and commute to work and drive 15 min to go anywhere.

Old 03-05-2009, 06:47 AM

"yea all those people who live in cities like SF,DC,NYC,Boston,Miami,LA what horrbible places to live."

Yup, I agree. Not my cup of tea. Not saying it's wrong for everybody. My question was why would others like that sort of thing. That is all.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:26 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,716,908 times
Quote:
Why the hell (excuse my french) would someone want to live in such a dense area? !
Maybe because some of us like the amenities dense areas have to offer.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:54 PM

8 posts, read 31,418 times
I live in miami and I have been to tampa,if you want more diversity better weather more to do definately miami personally i think Tampa is very boring, and that's not true that everyone speaks spanish in miami, i can personally tell you within the past 5 years miami has changed overnight now you see asians, russians, alot of europeans and very educated africans..Miami is a melting pot of all cultures. the only people who do not speak english are the ones straight off the boat but most people in miami are bilingual, just like any other major city like chicago's mexican neighborhoods or china-town san fransico.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:09 AM

499 posts, read 1,595,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wants2GotoFL View Post
I know that I am probably comparing apples and oranges but I want to get out of the Northeast. Originally from NY, I am now living in New England and freezing my buns off... Every winter I long for the sunshine and go anywhere tropical that I can.

My husband who is in financial services and myself (a lawyer) in our late 30s with no kids do not speak Spanish (he doesnt know a word and I can get by in basic conversation such as at restaurants, grocery stores, etc but am not fluent by any means). We really wanted to live in Miami (love the blue water, the ocean, the liveliness and have some family a friends in Palm Beach County. However, we are worried about the Spanish language and finding jobs. We are also concerned that we may have trouble fitting in.

We want to live in a high rise condo on or near water. We need a busy lifestyle with a dense population. We were attracted to Miami for that reason. We also looked at Ft. Lauderdale and ruled it out because when we visited last week, it was booorrrriiiinnngg and the city itself seemed half alive. (Are we wrong??)

So now we are considering the Tampa/St. Petersburg areas. Tampa seems to be nice with a lot going on. How are the beaches? Is the water as blue as it is in Miami? I'm going there next month to see but would like to have some guidance.

If anyone has lived both places, which is better for us based on the above.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!
Sorry, but I think you need to look at the economy in FL. It's tanked period compared to the rest of the US.

I would have recommended FLL beach area as "perfect" 4U, but no doubt, people are staying home instead of going out there because of the economy. Did you go to Las Olas, A1A or Hollywood Beach areas? (It's freaky right now, hence I'm blogging at the moment).

If you thought FLL was "booorrrriiiinnngg," you better stock up on some No-Doz and Red Bull before you visit Tampa!

I think you need to re-think and re-visit FLL before making a final decision or look at EYW (Key West) or St Augustine (JAX/DAB) as a potential possibilities (But good luck on finding any work there).

Remember, you can't compare Oranges w/ the Big Apple! (But you certainly can find a decent slice here AND Carvel Ice Cream in FL http://www.carvel.com/store_locator/locator.htm) And with the great weather, that should spell happiness!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 08-27-2009 at 01:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or