Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 AM

56 posts, read 166,299 times

Advertisements

We are eying Texas right now. I'm willing to move wherever, literally. However, the wife insists that it must be somewhere comparable in weather.

I hate to sound so harsh about Ocala, but the overcrowding and horrible real estate and economy is enough to get someone really worked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2007, 07:47 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,007 times
Does Texas have State income tax? What do car tags cost, and it does get cold in texas.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
FlSunshine, Texas has no state income tax. Southern Texas doesn't get very cold at all. (But I live in So. Dak. so we probably have different definitions of cold ) They did have a snowfall as far south as Corpus Christi at Christmastime in 2004, but it melted quickly. But not state income tax, just like our states.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:11 AM

799 posts, read 3,693,653 times
I'm from Spring, Texas, a suburb nw of houston. It does not get very cold here but will go down to 30's and 40's but for a very short time. They just closed our schools one day last month because ice4 formed on the roads. I thought the northerners would think that was funny but the facxt is we don't know how to drive on ice. Snow is very rare in south Texas and it did snow in 2004 but just enought to lightly cover ground here. I do believe theywere able to build a snow man in corpus though. The weather here is comparable to Florida which is great for me because I am moving to Florida as soon as I can get there. Rude people are everywhere including here. Crime is also everywhere. I will say that you can live well here as far as housing affordability. My house was 160,000 base price not including upgrades( ceramic tile, lawn sprinkler system, upgraded cabinets) and it is 2700 sq feet 4/2.5/2 in a upper middle class/wealthy area. I know I won't find that there, but driving over water and seeing the ocean and all the trees and outdoor activities is worth it for me.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:11 PM

155 posts, read 284,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahj1102 View Post
first time post

I'm a lifelong Floridian who is downright sick of this state. I wouldn't even know where to begin to list the issues with this state. Economy, education, real estate, etc., etc., etc.

I live in Central Florida and the wife and i are moving in a year and a half when our daughter graduates high school. I would move tomorrow but my daughter would kill us.

I actually live in Ocala and the people (extremely rude and disrespectful at that) that has moved in and has overcrowded our city is beyond ridiculous. The traffic here is to the point i don't go anywhere unless i have to. Making a simple 10 minute run to grab some dinner with my family turns into a 30 minute treck of frustration of horrendous traffic.

I don't know how the rest of the country is, but folks here are rude and disrespectful. As mentioned earlier, don't even think someone is gonna be kind or courteous while driving. I flat out scares me sometime to drive with my 4 year old son in the backseat. I nearly get run over on a daily basis.

Don't even get me started on the real estate and economy. I just graduated from Nursing school and my starting salary is $18.50! Not too bad for 15 years ago here. Try to go out and look for a decent 1800 sq ft home here and you can't look at anything for less than $250k. Gimme a break. The wife and i are looking to move into a newer home, but not in this city (or state from what i understand). I'd have to work 2 extra shifts a week to support a mortgage and enjoy life with our kids.

I could write pages and pages of things to describe the problems with Central Florida, but it would put my blood pressure over the edge.

I came to this board because the wife and i are looking for ideas to relocate. I'll go wherever, the wife refuses to go where it gets below 70 . I'm just going anywhere but here.
I think TX is great, my stepdad lives in Central TX and he loves it. There is NO state income tax in TX and cost of living in generally low (unless you live in the gulf, then insurance costs will be through the roof like FL).

I can feel for you and know what the hassles of traffic, lack of possibility to buy your own house can be like.

I just do not understand for the life of me, how people move down here KNOWING housing is out of reach for most people, jobs pay nothing, and traffic and crime are ever-increasing.

It's like "what is going on with you to do this"!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:50 AM

669 posts, read 3,193,619 times
However, I would be inclined to say that if enough Floridians get the idea to move to Texas, then Texas will basically turn into another Florida. You have hurricanes and tornadoes there too, so basically, it's got all the ingredients to become another Florida.

I just wouldn't give up in Florida. Fleeing will only delay the problem, because sooner or later, the same problems seem to reach almost everywhere.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:17 AM

232 posts, read 886,650 times
noahj1112, Im a nurse in WV and the starting salary for nurses here is about the same 19.10/hr so be careful when searching because this is a pretty common starting salary. It is sad to say but nurses are underpayed everywhere unless you want to travel etc. Part of the shortage I feel comes from the high stress of the job and demands put on you and the low wage considering what you have to do. Many days I dont get to sit down or even get a lunch. I love my job but if it were because of the pay then I would not be a nurse for long. I've been a nurse for a long time and it is only getting worse.

As far as texas go do your research someone was just complaining the other day on this forum that their property tax was worse than florida's. Anybody else remember that post?? I remember because I was shocked when reading it.

Noah good luck in your career as a nurse.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:07 PM

I don't have a problem with making $18.50 as a new grad. What i do have a problem with is trying to have a nice home and support my family in a city that's economy is borked. If it's going to cost $250k and more to own a new home, $18.50 ain't going to cut it. I'm happy for the home i live in, but we want to move into a new home. I shouldn't have to work 4 or 5 shifts a week to finance that.....plus raise 2 kids and travel and enjoy life.

Thats my issue with $18.50.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:39 PM

232 posts, read 886,650 times
Noah, Im glad you dont have a problem with your starting salary..because I do. I think it is horrible. I can remember when I started out I was making around 12. Now I did not have to pay any student loans back but a bunch of my friends did around 20,000. Went to school 4 years. My sister-in-law who did not go to college and worked at a local fast food restaurant for 8 years applied to be a mail carrier and got the job for being female. Guess what her starting salary was??? 14.50!!! 2 more dollars on the hour than me. Needless to say I was upset.(I was glad for her just mad at the system). Anyway I started thinking I guess getting your mail is more important than saving someones life. I also have a friend whos husband works for the state roads and I know their job is very hard to do but he even makes more than I do as a nurse.

Marylou thanks for the information..here in WV we do not have very many foreign nurses though and the wages are still the same.

Last edited by Jammie; 02-08-2007 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: words replaced

Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM

i hear ya shedav. i guess my point was i didn't mind making my salary if where i lived supported that.

damn right we deserve more than that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida