U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM

183 posts, read 471,277 times

Advertisements

they can add 2 for "people leaving the state of MI"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM

54 posts, read 283,437 times
Default moving out of FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This is one company reporting on the movement of families goods. The state average was 1,000 familes per month moving in, this looks like a greater number are moving in....
Just said good bye to two, heading for NY to live with relatives, he has been looking for work for a year. She wasn't making enough to survive. Now I have the usual cleanup on tenants leaving, didn't want to take ALL their possessions too much trouble. Maybe the next one will like to clean they did leave a seldom used broom and mop.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 5 days ago)

47,673 posts, read 45,309,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Wow an average of 1351 per month moving in and 1418 moving out. Locals are looking for greener pasture outside the state and outsiders are looking at Florida for new life.

For the first time in 30 years, United Van Lines Inc. says it moved more people out of Florida than in, and analysts see that as a sign that consumers are looking elsewhere for a cheaper slice of life.

The nation's largest moving company reported 16,212 inbound shipments to Florida last year and 17,019 outbound shipments. United moved more people to Florida in each year from 1999 to 2004, but the number of inbound moves fell in 2005, spokeswoman Jennifer Bonham said.

United's report shows that North Carolina, Oregon and South Carolina were the top destination states in 2006. Michigan, hit hard by automobile industry layoffs, North Dakota and New Jersey were the states that saw the most people leave.

Moderator cut: link cut
I think the FLA exodus has happening now. I live in GA(metro Atlanta) and I am seeing more and more Florida license plates(not to mention North Carolina, Alabama, and Louisiana plates). Everyone is heading for GA.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:36 PM

6,985 posts, read 15,460,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly3120 View Post
well good, it's crowded(not to be mean, just say'n) I hope people spread out a little.

florida will always be "growing" because we have decent weather, sunshine, beaches and silly rich folk who think the prices are a steal. =)
weather goes out but so far. If jobs and cost of living is out of whack then guess what? It will not grow, just as it isn't right now.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 AM

1,377 posts, read 3,729,771 times
If employers knew how to pay their employees better, FL wouldn't have this problem. Thank God I moved from that slave state. They just want all the cheap spanish labor and most educated people leave FL when they realize this. Habla Espanol?

Old 03-30-2008, 03:47 AM

1,572 posts, read 3,680,141 times
Florida has alot of land you can't really build on. Wetlands and swampy areas that either are difficult to build on or too environmentally sensitive. It is indeed a crowded state except for the panhandle.

I don't think Florida will see all that many baby boomers comming. Yes, we'll have the well-to-do early boomers with college degrees, but there are LOTS of baby boomers who will not be able to live the easy life in retirement and buy up a state and turn it into a silver-haired dictatorship. Between the dot-com bubble, Enron, and the rest of the mess these people don't have alot of savings. It's not like the "Greatest Generation" and the Silents who inherited alot of postwar prosperity having the privilege of nuking and firebombing most of the rest of the world.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:07 PM

778 posts, read 1,457,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Florida has alot of land you can't really build on. Wetlands and swampy areas that either are difficult to build on or too environmentally sensitive. It is indeed a crowded state except for the panhandle.

I don't think Florida will see all that many baby boomers comming. Yes, we'll have the well-to-do early boomers with college degrees, but there are LOTS of baby boomers who will not be able to live the easy life in retirement and buy up a state and turn it into a silver-haired dictatorship. Between the dot-com bubble, Enron, and the rest of the mess these people don't have alot of savings. It's not like the "Greatest Generation" and the Silents who inherited alot of postwar prosperity having the privilege of nuking and firebombing most of the rest of the world.
I think enough will keep coming from cold climates, Europeans and Canadians coming in droves with the weak dollars and folks from the Caribbean and other points south for work and following family to familiar surroundings.. The big difference is many more are now leaving than ever before for a host of reasons and it isn't always the economy or jobs. Many are the boomers who did well down here have had it and want to live the next chapter of their life away from 'paradise' looking for something different outside of this state be it mountains, four seasons,less congestion, lower taxes and insurance...ect....

Old 03-31-2008, 08:11 PM

778 posts, read 1,457,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
Can you tell me what you see in FL that is better than the other states? And I mean other than the hot weather I am wondering because other locations look to me to be just as good but much cheaper!

Hands down the beaches are tops here..The boating, the bays in SW Fla are incredible.. As is the Jan-March weather. Everything else is mediocre at best IMHO..

Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,269,944 times
I read the thread about those who moved out of Florida and ran back to Florida and it was allot of posters from this board.
We all must understand things are bad everywhere, not just in one state. People are moving allot more them usual to try to find work.
I read that even NC has a large amount of people leaving too, Pa, NJ< NY all have lost more people since the 2000 census.
Lets face it until the economy and our jobs are stopped from being given away to overseas countries we all will be a a boat with a big hole in it.
That is why for the life of me why is the media playing out like your Governor Criss is so popular, he has done nothing that I no of to help the state. The grass is not greener here, it is more expensive to live here, most of my hubbys work is in the southern states where it used to be all in the midwest and why go through the ice storms and below normal temps anymore when you do not have to.
I will give up to get more. We are loading up the truck and moving to the real life of sunshine and oceans instead of frozen lakes and wind chills of -20.
We want to see green and palms trees, not dead trees and yellow grass.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 AM

15,127 posts, read 31,038,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Chick View Post
I read the thread about those who moved out of Florida and ran back to Florida and it was allot of posters from this board.
We all must understand things are bad everywhere, not just in one state. People are moving allot more them usual to try to find work.
I read that even NC has a large amount of people leaving too, Pa, NJ< NY all have lost more people since the 2000 census.
Lets face it until the economy and our jobs are stopped from being given away to overseas countries we all will be a a boat with a big hole in it.
That is why for the life of me why is the media playing out like your Governor Criss is so popular, he has done nothing that I no of to help the state. The grass is not greener here, it is more expensive to live here, most of my hubbys work is in the southern states where it used to be all in the midwest and why go through the ice storms and below normal temps anymore when you do not have to.
I will give up to get more. We are loading up the truck and moving to the real life of sunshine and oceans instead of frozen lakes and wind chills of -20.
We want to see green and palms trees, not dead trees and yellow grass.
Sunshine, you are absolutely right on all points. People move around a lot to find work, or a better, happier situation. I know of plenty of people who went to NC, and saw in a year or two how much they missed Fla. and came back. People are always going to think it's better "somewhere else." I used to be one of those. But I now realize how lucky I am to live here. Florida is not perfect, but compared to much of the USA it is paradise, and I don't know of anywhere else I would rather live. And you are right about Charlie Crist - he is "all talk no action". Very disappointed in him. Just a nice looking guy who had the majority of folks brainwashed. STILL, this state is better than almost any other, for me and hubby.

And lastly, yes, it is more expensive to live here compared to a lot of places, but still far less than others. Considering how much Florida has to offer in the way of beauty, climate, beaches, unique wildlife and relaxed living, I would say it is a bargain. There are people on this board who somehow think that Florida housing costs will return to some absurd level of 10 years ago, ain't never gonna happen. As soon as prices become low enough in a desirable area, there will be people coming in to scoop them up and drive prices back up again. There will always be people wanting to come to Florida. We crashed hard back in the 1920's and look how we boomed again. Let's face it, Florida has a unique appeal, and will always come with a price tag. Each person has to figure out if it's worth it to them.

I was born here, and I'm gonna die here, that's how I feel about it. I love my Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or