Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:06 PM

96 posts, read 736,509 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move to the Florida Panhandle area. I have done quite a bit of Internet research on the areas of the Emerald Coast and really have been quite taken with the beauty of the beaches there (Destin, Sandestin, Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa, Miramar).

My question is this: Are there any areas of the Emerald Coast/Panhandle beaches above that one could consider to be liberal or progressive? Areas where one would have easy access to organic foods? Where there are independent bookstores, hip cafes, and alternative culture?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 PM

440 posts, read 2,426,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
I am considering a move to the Florida Panhandle area. I have done quite a bit of Internet research on the areas of the Emerald Coast and really have been quite taken with the beauty of the beaches there (Destin, Sandestin, Navarre Beach, Santa Rosa, Miramar).

My question is this: Are there any areas of the Emerald Coast/Panhandle beaches above that one could consider to be liberal or progressive? Areas where one would have easy access to organic foods? Where there are independent bookstores, hip cafes, and alternative culture?

Thanks!
Here along the Beaches of South Walton / Scenic Highway 30a, we have a few organic food options:

For The Health Of It - Natural food store and massage clinic, also features Juice and Smoothie bar. As they say: “health is our business, let us make it your pleasure.

Seaside Farmer's Market - Every Saturday, from 8am - noon, you will find a local farmer's market in Seaside.

Girl Named Toni - fresh local produce in Grayton Beach.

Cotton's Produce - fresh local produce in Freeport.

Fresh Market - located in Destin.

In St Andrews ( east of us in Panama City), at the south end of Beck Ave where the dock is located, there is a farmers market set up on Saturday mornings. We understand that there are several fisherman selling freshly caught fish, in addition to a few other produce and fruit growers.

Independent Book Store / Music Store:

Sundog Books & Central Square Records - Independently owned since 1986. Offering an eclectic selection of books and music for all ages. Located in downtown Seaside on Scenic 30-A. Open 7 days a week.

Fonville Press - Books, coffee, magazines, ice cream. Located in Alys Beach.

Restaurants:

30a Dining (http://www.beachesofsouthwalton.com/winecuisine.asp - broken link) - a good place to start. There are a number or wonderful dining establishments along our stretch of beaches.

Arts & Culture:

Grayton Beach House of Art

Art & Culture Guide for the Beaches of South Walton (http://www.beachesofsouthwalton.com/Arts_Culture_Search.asp - broken link)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The culture here is an outdoor beach culture. If you don't like the beach, the heat and the outdoors, then this is not an attractive place to live. It's not a party beach or a big nightclub beach --- though there are plenty of opportunities to socialize if that is your thing. It is a small collection of beach towns and eventually it seems like you end up knowing most of the locals.

We have many talented people here on the 30a --- lots of local musicians and guest musicians who play at various venues along our scenic stretch of beaches. We have several festivals throughout the year and many communities that offer outdoor markets, free weekly outdoor concerts, art openings, movies on the lawns, etc.

There is a strong sense of community amongst the people who do live along the 30a. But it is largely a tourist driven economy and there are limited options with regard to employment. You can drive to Destin / Ft Walton Beach to the west or Panama City to the east and have a few more opportunities but the traffic in season can be very challenging. Most of us who live along the 30a try really hard to stay on our side of the world --- we sacrifice to live where we love.

Anyhow, that's our 2 cents on things ... hope it was a little insightful.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Anyhow, that's our 2 cents on things ... hope it was a little insightful.
Your answers to my post were a big help, and I appreciate the links that you provided.

What about the "liberal/progressive" part of my questions? I'm a pretty liberal person (I live in Seattle, Washington) and am trying to avoid living in an overly-conservative area. I can mix with anyone of any stripe, but have a very low tolerance for overly-conservative people.

Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:25 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,386 times
Honestly? You'd hate it. It's still the panhandle of Florida... it's still the deep south, for what its worth. You're from the PACNW... if you don't like "overly conservative" people, try South Florida.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg83 View Post
Honestly? You'd hate it. It's still the panhandle of Florida... it's still the deep south, for what its worth. You're from the PACNW... if you don't like "overly conservative" people, try South Florida.
Well technically, I'm not from the PNW, I'm actually from Georgia. I was born and raised in Savannah and lived there for most of my life. I have lived in Seattle for the past ten years.

South Florida is not to my liking. It is too expensive and not close enough to relatives that I have in both Atlanta, Georgia and in Jacksonville, Florida. And I visit them all regularly.

I hope that I am not giving the wrong impression by my statement about "overly conservative people." I consider myself to be highly tolerant of all lifestyles, but I draw the line at people who are way too close-minded. And yes, I can think of some "overly liberal people" who would fit that description, too.

I can live anyplace so long as there is diversity, whether it be in race, religion, culture or political leanings.

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:16 AM

545 posts, read 2,043,447 times
I hope that I am not giving the wrong impression by my statement about "overly conservative people." I consider myself to be highly tolerant of all lifestyles, but I draw the line at people who are way too close-minded. And yes, I can think of some "overly liberal people" who would fit that description, too.'

REPLY: But, arent we supposed to not blur right from wrong , aim for high standards of integrity, and not be apathetic about lifestyles that bring moral degradation to America ? Or is it more politically correct to just pretend so we can do as WE want and expect others to be apathetic toward our behaviour/actions/talk/and motives ? What ive found from travelling thru the Florida Panhandle , by and large, are people who arent fooled by the various Post Modernist philosophies , who desire a society with absolute moral laws and values and who take pride in aiming high and rightfully expecting others to do the same. Thats why im moving to the Panhandle area asap.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
But, arent we supposed to not blur right from wrong , aim for high standards of integrity, and not be apathetic about lifestyles that bring moral degradation to America ? Or is it more politically correct to just pretend so we can do as WE want and expect others to be apathetic toward our behaviour/actions/talk/and motives ? What ive found from travelling thru the Florida Panhandle , by and large, are people who arent fooled by the various Post Modernist philosophies , who desire a society with absolute moral laws and values and who take pride in aiming high and rightfully expecting others to do the same. Thats why im moving to the Panhandle area asap.
I'm not 100% sure of what you are driving at with the above statement. And I certainly don't want to get into a huge discussion about what is or isn't an "absolute moral law," as you put it. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but that sounds to me like some sort of a personal religious conviction, more than anything else that I can think of. For what it is worth, I'm not religious at all - I'm an atheist -but I consider myself to be a highly moral person).

I don't like "political correctness" from anywhere, be it on the left or on the right. In fact, I don't like politics much at all! I'm not here to debate morality or politics or to challenge anyone's personal beliefs. I'm just hoping to get an informal poll as to what I can expect from the community.

I think that my use of the terms "liberal" and "conservative" may have been poor choices as both have a rather knee-jerk political connotation. My intention in using those words was geared toward attitudes, and not politics. (If I could think of better words, I would use them instead!).

Let me try to clarify the intention of my post again: I'm really just trying to determine whether or not I can expect to find people living in the Emerald Coast area who celebrate diversity, who are tolerant of lifestyles that may be a bit different than their own, such as artists, free-thinkers, those with a bohemian slant, etc., etc.

I know from past experience that I can do that and am hoping that I can find like-minded people there.

[Edited by me to add clarification]

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 06-20-2008 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-20-2008, 03:06 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times

Most of the areas are constantly upgrading and modernizing with new businesses and new ideas. Some areas are more receptive than others, depends on the population. The areas of Destin , Fort Walton Beach, maybe Panama City, and Pensacola Beach, also Gulf Breeze are the ones to follow. Destin (IMO) is the best diversified of all the towns and you can find almost everything that you want.

Is difficult to answer your question, the best approach is to take a break and visit the area and see what we got to offer. Destin might be the best place....

Yes to your previous post....

Old 06-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
Is difficult to answer your question, the best approach is to take a break and visit the area and see what we got to offer. Destin might be the best place....

Yes to your previous post....
Thanks for your reply. I definitely intend to visit Destin and all of the other area beaches. All of the Internet research in the world is no substitute to putting one's feet on the ground and having a "real" look around.

The beaches in that area are quite simply a wonder to behold in their cleanliness and contrast of white sand and blue water . . .

Last edited by Sailor Curt; 06-20-2008 at 03:12 PM.. Reason: Correct spelling

Old 06-20-2008, 03:13 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
Thanks for your reply. I definitely intend to visit Destin and all of the other area beaches. All of the Internet research in world is no substitute to putting one's feet on the ground and having a "real" look around.

The beaches in that area are quite simply a wonder to behold in their cleanliness and contrast of white sand and blue water . . .
We offer the best in the world in regards to the white sands beaches. But I will always visit and get a real taste of what the location has to offer.

Check the following: EmeraldCoast.com: Navigate Florida's Emerald Coast!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida