U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 03:20 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,300,207 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what it was. I have never seen it before. It looked like a squirrel/ferret/skunk and a raccoon crossed. It was about the size of a possum and stood upright like a prairie dog. I'm sure it wasn't a squirrel. It was larger and had a striped bushy tail. Any ideas what it could be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 03:38 PM

8,489 posts, read 11,189,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_pines View Post
I'm not sure what it was. I have never seen it before. It looked like a squirrel/ferret/skunk and a raccoon crossed. It was about the size of a possum and stood upright like a prairie dog. I'm sure it wasn't a squirrel. It was larger and had a striped bushy tail. Any ideas what it could be?
Fox Squirrel maybe.
They are larger and have longer bushier tails.

http://www.wkrg.com/user_content/user_photos/outdoors/nature/cache/Fox_Squirrel2_medium-400x600.jpg (broken link)[

Old 06-20-2008, 03:42 PM

96 posts, read 455,943 times
I agree with Mike, probably a fox squirrel. If you have never seen one, your first look at them can be surprising as they can get pretty big.

Only other thing that comes to mind is perhaps a mangy raccoon because of the striped tail that was mentioned.

Old 06-20-2008, 03:45 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,433,718 times
In Colorado they have squirels that are black and have rabbit ears. I had heard that in China they have them as big as house cats. Now that would be a shock.

I live about halfway between Orlando and Daytona and I have ony seen the regular variety of squirel.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:12 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,300,207 times
Aha! The bottom picture is probably a close resemblance. Thank you very much for your help. I thought it might have been some kind of marsupial released here or something. The one I seen had stripes on its tail and different colors on its torso area. Its also the biggest squirrel I have ever seen thats for sure.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:14 PM

8,163 posts, read 16,899,292 times
I would love to see a pic.....

Old 06-20-2008, 04:40 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,870,513 times
In Minnesota they have solid black and solid white squirrels. I was shocked when I saw them but nobody there seems to be impressed.

Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,507 times
Hey...We, too..! Both my husband and I have spotted a creature that exactly fits your description...a cross between a squirrel and a raccoon. We live most of the time in north-cental FL, but this siting is at our place in CA, in the Sacramento Valley.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:09 PM

2 posts, read 11,507 times
A well-informed friend suggested we have seen a Ring-tailed cat. After a visit to Wikipedia, we think so, too. But interesting to note that the supposed habitat does not include Florida. Here are some photos. http://www.birdfotos.com/misc/ring-tailed-cat/cat01.htm

Old 03-06-2011, 01:57 PM

8,489 posts, read 11,189,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarclayBraden View Post
A well-informed friend suggested we have seen a Ring-tailed cat. After a visit to Wikipedia, we think so, too. But interesting to note that the supposed habitat does not include Florida. Here are some photos. http://www.birdfotos.com/misc/ring-tailed-cat/cat01.htm
Being a Fox Squirrel and a Ringtail are close in size and slightly similar in looks, the chances are much higher that it was a Fox Squirrel since this is it's habitat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida