U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-21-2008, 09:46 AM
 
10 posts, read 226,563 times
Reputation: 23
Default Sharks And Jellyfish In Destin Flordia???

Has anyone experince any at all latley???we are going June 27th this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 1,653,033 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by fehr4jesus View Post
Has anyone experince any at all latley???we are going June 27th this year

We are not in Destin but instead a few minutes east on the 30A. We've seen a few jellyfish here and there and an occasional small shark --- nothing that's been any cause for concern. Water is in the 80's, crystal clear, ahhhh heavenly ..... have a safe journey and a great vacation and don't stress about the sharks ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,701 posts, read 16,980,536 times
Reputation: 2847
According to the South Walton County Fire Department jellyfish are present.

South Walton Fire District - Protecting the citizens of South Walton County.

http://www.holidaysurf.com/images/clipart/flag-chart2.gif (broken link)

Destin's waters have an abundance of sea life. Don't expect to find any whales or sea lions, but you might see sharks, dolphins, sting rays, starfish, sandollars and jellyfish in addition to a wide variety of fish. Shark attacks are extremely rare, and when they do occur it is usually because the shark mistakes a person for something else. You should never swim at night or at dusk, which is shark feeding time. If you see a shark, do not make wild gestures or splash a lot. Never go into the water with a bleeding wound. Sting rays are usually harmless creatures. They will only harm a person if they are provoked or stepped on. Seek medical attention if stung by a sting ray. Apply heat or immerse the affected area in hot water to thin the venom. Keep an eye out for jellyfish--they have a nasty sting, but it is unlikely that any of the varieties in this area will cause serious damage. If you are stung by a jellyfish, it is wise to seek medical attention. Use a topical agent for relief from pain and itching. A mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol may be applied to disinfect the wound. Sea turtles also reside in our waters. They come onto the beaches to lay their eggs. If you see a sea turtle, do not disturb it, and do not expose the animal to any bright lights. Harming a sea turtle or its nest is punishable by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 1,653,033 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
According to the South Walton County Fire Department jellyfish are present.

South Walton Fire District - Protecting the citizens of South Walton County.

http://www.holidaysurf.com/images/clipart/flag-chart2.gif (broken link)

Destin's waters have an abundance of sea life. Don't expect to find any whales or sea lions, but you might see sharks, dolphins, sting rays, starfish, sandollars and jellyfish in addition to a wide variety of fish. Shark attacks are extremely rare, and when they do occur it is usually because the shark mistakes a person for something else. You should never swim at night or at dusk, which is shark feeding time. If you see a shark, do not make wild gestures or splash a lot. Never go into the water with a bleeding wound. Sting rays are usually harmless creatures. They will only harm a person if they are provoked or stepped on. Seek medical attention if stung by a sting ray. Apply heat or immerse the affected area in hot water to thin the venom. Keep an eye out for jellyfish--they have a nasty sting, but it is unlikely that any of the varieties in this area will cause serious damage. If you are stung by a jellyfish, it is wise to seek medical attention. Use a topical agent for relief from pain and itching. A mixture of 50% vinegar and 50% rubbing alcohol may be applied to disinfect the wound. Sea turtles also reside in our waters. They come onto the beaches to lay their eggs. If you see a sea turtle, do not disturb it, and do not expose the animal to any bright lights. Harming a sea turtle or its nest is punishable by law.
That's good info SunRico .... thanks ....
We also wanted to add in Manatee .....
Believe it or not a couple of years ago we were surfing and we hear this guy yelling and pointing ....
We turn around and see this giant dark spot coming right toward us ... no time to freak out .... then it lifted it's head and it was a manatee .... whew .... that was a relief .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 02:19 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,701 posts, read 16,980,536 times
Reputation: 2847
Lightbulb Pet Friendly Beaches

Okaloosa County, Bay County and the City of Destin do not allow pets on the beach. South Walton County allows only property owners of South Walton County to obtain beach pet permits (850-892-8156).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 02:28 PM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 1,653,033 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
That's good info SunRico .... thanks ....
We also wanted to add in Manatee .....
Believe it or not a couple of years ago we were surfing and we hear this guy yelling and pointing ....
We turn around and see this giant dark spot coming right toward us ... no time to freak out .... then it lifted it's head and it was a manatee .... whew .... that was a relief .....

Oh, and we did have a whale in Destin recently .....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Living in Paradise
5,701 posts, read 16,980,536 times
Reputation: 2847
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bohemians View Post
Oh, and we did have a whale in Destin recently .....
We are very fortunate that our marine wildlife in the NW area of the state is very diverse. This truly is a locale that charms families and they continue to vacation and relocate due to the unique and friendly communities and environment....

Normally we see dolphins in the sound and on Navarre Beach.

Pics from Jun:


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
 
10 posts, read 226,563 times
Reputation: 23
Default Our trip back from destin.

We made it back safe and sound,,lol....There were pretty much alot of jellyfish and the seaweed was horible...The jellyfish were less on Sunday,we swam alittle until a thunderstrom decided to visit us while we were in the ocean here is a pic of my husband ,oldest daughter and a friend of ours in the ocean..u can see it was cloudy....we had a good time anyway tho...Thanks for all the advice..It is always helpful.
Attached Thumbnails
Sharks And Jellyfish In Destin Flordia???-destin-florida-085.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 08:42 AM
 
1 posts, read 34,775 times
Reputation: 10
Default Jelly Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by fehr4jesus View Post
Has anyone experince any at all latley???we are going June 27th this year
I suppose this is a tad late but my family is down there this week and there have been numerous jellyfish, big and small, i would advise you to watch out when waves come in, my little sister and i both got stung yesterday and unfortunately nothing really helps but to wait it out. Have fun! it's beautiful down here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Foothills of the Appalachians
440 posts, read 1,653,033 times
Reputation: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxVictoriaxxTheresexx View Post
I suppose this is a tad late but my family is down there this week and there have been numerous jellyfish, big and small, i would advise you to watch out when waves come in, my little sister and i both got stung yesterday and unfortunately nothing really helps but to wait it out. Have fun! it's beautiful down here!
Yes, it happens every year .... we do get a round of june grass and jellies ... but it's not everyday ... and some days are better than others ... some spots are clear ... and others thick with grass .... for the most part, it's stunning ... clear, clean, emerald green water ... soft white sand .... paradise ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top