U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 04:36 PM
S&W

9 posts, read 70,262 times

Advertisements

I read in 2006 that if you took all the people in the world & stood them side by side that they would all fit in the city limits of Jacksonville Fl. So that being said why dont everyone look for some positives in there current situation & quit whinning about poor me. I think we hear so much negativity because all the positive people with a life are busy doing things & going places wile the rest get all the press & there cry baby poor me attitude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 04:40 PM

5,843 posts, read 14,004,143 times
sunrico--I thought I understood what you were saying when you wrote:

"MaryLou, If I read your post correctly you live in Orlando, but rate the whole state as not worth it. You live in TOURIST Heaven; therefore the area will have limiting factor for some individuals. Some forum members don't have problems and they like it, others do.

If you move to Atlanta, San Antonio, NYC, LA, and other super large metro areas you might get the same feedback because the city main purpose is to support the tourism industry."

But I guess not. I thought you were trying to equate Atl, SA and NYC with Orlando by saying their "main purpose" is toruism. I know those 3 cities all have lots of tourism, but it's hardly their "main purpose". Take FL: I would guess Orlando's #1 industry is tourism. But Miami, which also has lots of tourism, has banking and international trade as their #1 industry. In the first part of the 20th century, Orlando's #1 industry was agriculture (this was pre-Disney); Miami's was tourism (this was before the growth of US-Latin American trade.)

There's lots of misunderstandings that result from forums like this one due to unclear posts. I try to get clarity when someone says something that's unclear to me, for the benefit of all. Hope you'll hold me to the same standard.

Old 02-15-2007, 04:41 PM

232 posts, read 812,801 times
Here is a positive in my life.....I am positive I am moving to florida soon.

No seriously, good post. I guess everyone has something they can complain about..here up north it is cold/ice/snow and miserable but at least we have heat and are warm!!!!!!

Old 02-15-2007, 04:46 PM

OK, here's mine: I have lived in 5 states including FL and am positive that I think FL is a great place to visit in the winter, but I am positive that I do not ever want to live there again, and I am positive that I like it better up north where it is 5 degrees above zero right now and I am positively NOT complaining about it!

(I am also positive that I do not want to be squashed into the city limits of Jax with all the rest of the world's people.)

Old 02-15-2007, 05:27 PM

5,702 posts, read 22,228,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
sunrico--I thought I understood what you were saying when you wrote:

"MaryLou, If I read your post correctly you live in Orlando, but rate the whole state as not worth it. You live in TOURIST Heaven; therefore the area will have limiting factor for some individuals. Some forum members don't have problems and they like it, others do.

If you move to Atlanta, San Antonio, NYC, LA, and other super large metro areas you might get the same feedback because the city main purpose is to support the tourism industry."

But I guess not. I thought you were trying to equate Atl, SA and NYC with Orlando by saying their "main purpose" is toruism. I know those 3 cities all have lots of tourism, but it's hardly their "main purpose". Take FL: I would guess Orlando's #1 industry is tourism. But Miami, which also has lots of tourism, has banking and international trade as their #1 industry. In the first part of the 20th century, Orlando's #1 industry was agriculture (this was pre-Disney); Miami's was tourism (this was before the growth of US-Latin American trade.)

There's lots of misunderstandings that result from forums like this one due to unclear posts. I try to get clarity when someone says something that's unclear to me, for the benefit of all. Hope you'll hold me to the same standard.
The post is a comparison and economic support that tourism provides to the large metro areas is crucial in the overall economic sustainment. Like you, I have lived in many cities large/small and tourism for some will create great pain while other will benefit without the pains of crime, traffic, elevated housing cost or lack-off and employment. Hope this clarifies my post.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:28 PM

232 posts, read 812,801 times
LOL . Good one Ben Around on the positive....

anybody else???

Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 AM

17,835 posts, read 29,917,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W View Post
I read in 2006 that if you took all the people in the world & stood them side by side that they would all fit in the city limits of Jacksonville Fl. So that being said why dont everyone look for some positives in there current situation & quit whinning about poor me. I think we hear so much negativity because all the positive people with a life are busy doing things & going places wile the rest get all the press & there cry baby poor me attitude

Some interesting facts about Jacksonville

Jacksonville is the largest city in the contiguous United States in land area

Jacksonville covers 841 square miles

The City of Jacksonville ranks as the 14th largest city in
the United States in population with more than 800,000 residents.

Joint management agreements with national and state park services give Jacksonville the largest urban park system in the United States.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Some interesting facts about Jacksonville

Jacksonville is the largest city in the contiguous United States in land area

Jacksonville covers 841 square miles

The City of Jacksonville ranks as the 14th largest city in
the United States in population with more than 800,000 residents.

Joint management agreements with national and state park services give Jacksonville the largest urban park system in the United States.
I recall when this happened. We were living in FL at the time. Basically, the citizens of Jax voted to annex all areas within Duval County, suburban and rural. I believe they did this to streamline administration of government. They were able to consolidate the city government, several suburban municpalities and small town governments, and the county government. When this happened, Jax leapfrogged over Miami and Tampa to become the most populous city in the state. (If you compare metro areas, Miami's still #1 in size)

Last edited by Ben Around; 02-16-2007 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-16-2007, 11:54 AM

11 posts, read 30,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
I hope you're not a born American citizen because it's rude and disloyal to hate your own country.
I agree with you but wow wouldent it be more rude if you are foreign born living in this great nation and bad mouthing it!!!!!!!

I have been living overseas for the last 7 years and cant wait to move back!
I live in a beutiful country and life is great with an american salary but I cant close my eyes to what the people here go through! people here struggle for their basic needs public schools are slums and the poor have very little rights.

I am not an American by birth but naturalized when I was a child, feel 100% American and often hear hear people bad mouth the US and wish the could see what I have seen in my travels!
But I guess that just the fact that you can bad mouth says what a great nation it really is.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:28 PM

200 posts, read 807,755 times
I can only give my opinion for SW Florida. It used to be a "down home" and friendly area until the Northereners started moving here. No offense to anyone, but my first encounter with a Northerner was 15 years ago at the Edison Mall in JC Penny. There was a family (mom, dad, and 2 teenage girls) in the shoe department and boy were they ever "high society"..the mother literally pushed me out of the way like I was a piece of garbage on the floor. It was like she was teaching her offspring that that's how you treat the subhuman natives. They had this "we are better than all you Florida people" attitude. Gradually, there were more and more people like that moving in. They didn't come to embrace the Florida lifestyle..they came to change it to meet their lifestyles. And all I ever heard out of their mouthes was, "That's not how we did it up North". Ugh. Now SW Florida is full of "must have everything better/bigger than the Jones" . But I guess that is just how it is everywhere now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or