Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,743,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridamex View Post
I don't know why people think Florida is so great. I think its just a big greed filled area. Everyone here just wants to get rich and not be Happy. The term Me Generation must have been started in Florida.
I moved here just months ago. But ... I actually like it here. I think it's very nice and pretty and I find the people to be the nicest I've come across. I only have one concern at this point and it's the whole issue about homeowner's insurance. But with that aside I find it to be a nice place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:20 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthFloridaNative View Post
I can only give my opinion for SW Florida. It used to be a "down home" and friendly area until the Northereners started moving here. No offense to anyone, but my first encounter with a Northerner was 15 years ago at the Edison Mall in JC Penny. There was a family (mom, dad, and 2 teenage girls) in the shoe department and boy were they ever "high society"..the mother literally pushed me out of the way like I was a piece of garbage on the floor. It was like she was teaching her offspring that that's how you treat the subhuman natives. They had this "we are better than all you Florida people" attitude. Gradually, there were more and more people like that moving in. They didn't come to embrace the Florida lifestyle..they came to change it to meet their lifestyles. And all I ever heard out of their mouthes was, "That's not how we did it up North". Ugh. Now SW Florida is full of "must have everything better/bigger than the Jones" . But I guess that is just how it is everywhere now.
That is sooooo true !

Old 02-16-2007, 09:26 PM

25 posts, read 175,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystree66 View Post
I would move to south florida in a minute if I could afford it..
Trust me,you will go back where you came from.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:30 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smith View Post
Trust me,you will go back where you came from.
Mr. Smith,

Can you provide a profile of Pine Hills?

Old 02-16-2007, 09:37 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times
Lightbulb Small Business Who loves small business? Top 10

Florida ranks # 6 in a CNN report: Florida has no personal income, capital gains or estate tax. Since so many people move to or visit the Sunshine State, the consumer base is growing, and demand is especially strong in health care, services for the elderly, and tourism. "All these great things are going for the state, it attracts a lot of people and entrepreneurs," says Kerrigan. A key issue facing business owners is the quality of the workforce, since the school system has a "pretty bad" reputation, says Kerrigan. The state also has a relatively high crime rate and minimum wage.

Taxes
Top personal income tax rate: 0%
Top corporate income tax rate: 5.5%
Energy costs
Electricity: 10.32 cents/kilowatthour
Gas (avg. price/gallon): $2.22
Labor
Minimum wage: $6.40/hour

See the top 10 and index score:

1 South Dakota 26.36
2 Nevada 29.92
3 Wyoming 35.84
4 Alabama 40.33
5 Washington 40.42
6 Florida 40.82
7 Mississippi 41.09
8 Colorado 42.68
9 Texas 42.71
10 Michigan 42.74

Old 02-17-2007, 03:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,574 times
Currently I live in Texas-Dallas area and my husband hates it here-even with ALL his family here. Some of my family live about 3 hours from Orlando. We are trying to decide IF we should move to Florida. I need advice from people who relocated there.

Old 02-20-2007, 11:56 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
I can only give my opinion for SW Florida. It used to be a "down home" and friendly area until the Northereners started moving here. No offense to anyone, but my first encounter with a Northerner was 15 years ago at the Edison Mall in JC Penny. There was a family (mom, dad, and 2 teenage girls) in the shoe department and boy were they ever "high society"..the mother literally pushed me out of the way like I was a piece of garbage on the floor. It was like she was teaching her offspring that that's how you treat the subhuman natives. They had this "we are better than all you Florida people" attitude. Gradually, there were more and more people like that moving in. They didn't come to embrace the Florida lifestyle..they came to change it to meet their lifestyles. And all I ever heard out of their mouthes was, "That's not how we did it up North". Ugh. Now SW Florida is full of "must have everything better/bigger than the Jones" . But I guess that is just how it is everywhere now.
Stereotyping aside, no, that's not how it is everywhere now. Many Northeasterners think the only place they can go to get away from whatever they don't like about their home state is Florida! Then they go to FL and find out it's not the paradise that it's been hyped as for the last 80 years! Now, in their way of thinking, they are faced with staying in FL and being miserable, or going back to their home town and being miserable.

This is a big, diverse country we live in! There are lots of places beyond the NE and FL where people treat each other respectfully and people of any income can make a happy life for themselves.

I do feel for the native Floridians who feel like they've been invaded, though. The onus should be on those who move in to take FL as it is, try to blend in, and not expect the natives to change (or disappear!). But then no one makes fortunes that way, and we can't have that!

Don't know what the answer is, but I do know that while you, as a native, shouldn't have to move to find your happiness, still, no one's keeping you there, either. Don't believe anyone who tells you that there are no good places left in the US.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:14 PM

97 posts, read 395,774 times
NOt the best, not the worst but if you're unsure stay put, things are not cheap. Things have gone up and where people thought it was cheaper to live here they are mistaken. Always research anywhere you go because the grass is always greener!!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 02:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:

Funny! I have seen this happen to friends, but so far none of the stuck up invaders has treated me that way. Also in the past I had a lot of native Floridians to chat with and we always found ways to get even with the rude Northerners. One friend's mom placed a 3 foot gator in the Mercedes of a New York transplant, that was one of the funniest things I had seen! Also great was dumping scorpions in someone's shopping bag.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:42 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,246,337 times
Florida ain't all that girlfriend
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida