U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pharmacy tech with no friends family in Florida, marriage problems force relocation to Florida to start new life, good school districts, high cost of living, Florida salaries low, many churches in area

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:41 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,055,852 times

Advertisements

Renting an apartment at the beginning may be a better option. It will take a while to get settled and get a job. This is stressful enough without having to worry about homeowner's insurance and high taxes right away. This gal is in pain and going through a rough time and I find it offensive that some people would use her vulnerability to make a fast $$.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:04 PM

168 posts, read 700,424 times
Thumbs down Watch out for those who want to help and make a commission

i agree with you, jammie.

where in the phrase "pharmacy technician" (notice she is not a pharmacist which requires a college degree in pharmacy and therefore might allow for a higher salary) did anyone but a realtor think she might afford a "small" condo for less than $200K! even coming up with first, last and security for a rental is a very real tug on the purse strings - and that goes for any state in the union.

i am surprised at the number of realtors at this site - those who admit it and those who do not.

i surely hope this woman gets personal and professional advice before leaping off the deep end and moving to florida - or anywhere.

sadly, it takes money to do anything these days, especially move.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:58 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,672,087 times
Quinn...my heart goes out to you. I came to FL many years ago under similar circumstances (from what I gather in other posts) but with 4 kids! However, I do realize times have changed and I don't think I could do it alone today. I also had some family here that I could lean on occasionally. But another thing to think about is with your daughter and custody. Since you want to move out of state, your husband could keep you from leaving the state with her. PLEASE check with an attorney first about that -and about reciprocal agreements between Florida and Michigan regarding child support/alimony. It can be REALLY difficult to get that child support check coming regularly, if at all. Also, check out the classifieds in a Sarasota newspaper for jobs and rentals...you wouldn't want to buy anything right away without getting to know the area anyway. Best Wishes and Many Blessings to you.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:52 PM

713 posts, read 2,427,083 times
Default Quinn, re: employment, Look in...

the online career websites, post your resume etc. and they will contact you. You can even have interviews lined up before you get to FL. I'm not sure if it's allowed to post a suggestion but let's say MSN has a career builders area on their website that is phenom. Very, very helpful.

Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 AM

6,604 posts, read 10,666,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Do keep in mind that in Florida the salaries are low and the expenses are high (I'm a Michigan native). The jobs pay quite a bit lower than other states and the taxes and insurance rates are higher.
In Florida there is no state income tax, sales taxes are about average, and property taxes are still lower than in many other states, especially the northeast.

Also if you do not own a house, and you state that you will rent, then insurance, at least homeowner's insurance will only be an issue to the extent that it may now affect rents.

You can probably make it if you rent a modest 2 bedroom apartment. Likely the biggest issues will be whether a prospective employee pays health insurance and whether you will be in a decent school district: private health insurance and/or private school may prove to be budget busters.

You can easily retrieve information on rental rates from any number of online sources. The harder part may be researching potential employers who pay health insurance.

Good luck.

Old 01-19-2007, 05:43 PM

6 posts, read 11,069 times
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my request for help & I apologize for not responding sooner.Things have been kind of crazy around here & I'm overwhelmed .I got so many excellent,varied responses that really did make me stop and think.As badly as I want to get out of here and move to sun ,warmth and palm trees, many of you did pose very interesting things to consider. Money, of course, being one of the most important , finding and paying for housing , finding a decent school district with what I can afford ,taking a 12 year old across state lines and the potential consequences, getting help for domestic abuse issues, finding a church or support network of some sort. Every one of you had something new for me to think about.I almost feel more confused because that was going to be my answer-- fleeing to Florida. That is still my dream-but all of you made me realize that there are certainly some things to consider and straighten out before I "run away."Thanks again to everyone...

Old 01-19-2007, 06:52 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,436,737 times
First off, Jammie, what the hell are you doing in Florida? hahahaha

I lived in Tampa and in Old town. Loved it. found wonderful people, found great prices, had a lot of fun. I would live there now except, I like hunting and fishing so I'm back in Wyoming. I'm hunting, I'm fishing and I'm doing it in the same spot cause my feet are froze to the ground. hahaha

Old 01-19-2007, 07:38 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,055,852 times
Quinn, it's so good to hear from you. We were worried about you and wondered if you'd check back in with us. You're feeling overwhelmed and the first thing you should do is head to an abuse shelter and get some assistance. Your moving, your taking your child across state lines, finding a home, etc. will all fall into place once you have someone to talk to about your options. Sometimes we go through rough times and it makes it hard for us to think clearly.

Guzzler, I was stunned to see one of your posts on here stating you were moving to Fla., too. We're heading that way in about a year from now. We're going down the beginning of March to look around a bit. We have family in Fla. and we'd like to live closer to them. Also, you've read my posts where I whine about the cold and snow up here.

Old 01-20-2007, 08:50 AM

523 posts, read 2,630,634 times
Sarasota is very expensive. Bradenton is better but crime, Palmetto and ellenton is better but, not mush reasonable housing. You may have to change your field. to live here. or work 2 jobs.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:05 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,517,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn998 View Post
I've never written one thing on the computer and I don't know if i'm doing this right, but here goes...I've lived in Michigan for the past 20+ years & have hated it the entire time.I came here in a miserable marriage that has gotten nothing but worse.I have wanted to move to Florida ever since I visited it for the first time when I was 17 & lived in N.J. I begged my husband year after year after year could we please move to a place with more sun ,warm weather , no snow. Moderator cut: to personal for this forum I have decided to finally move (alone,without him, but hopefully with my 12 year old daughter.) After visiting and vacationing in quite a few different areas in Fl. through the years, I find my favorite place seems to be the Sarasota area,due to it's size and I've researched the schools and it seems to have a very good school system. How realistic is it for me to move to this area as a seperated,soon to be divorced mother of a 12 year old? I know it's rather affluent, but would I be able to find housing? Which school would be the best middle school for a very bright but very shy and unassertive 12 year old girl.We want to be in an area that would be considered "safe", and a "good part of town". I work in a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician (for the past 10 years) and I'm sure I could probably find work ,although not very high paying. I have no friends or relatives in Florida, so there's no one to stay with to "try it out."Any suggestions with what areas or anything would be hugely appreciated .
Hi, I read your post, you should have some money saved b4 your move. I think you may job wise do better in the Tampa, New Tampa area. Merck Medico is always looking for help. They have good benefits, and pay o k for florida. You could check out there web site. also USSA is often looking for help, they also pay good, with good benefits. Check out the web site for both. Housing is pricey, however,
there is a real nice apt complex on Cross Creek blvd in new tampa, which lets you rent, for one third of your income. This place would be close to either ussa or medico. The schools also are good in the new tampa area. I wish you luck in your florida move. There is also pasco woods in wesley chapel which is fairly new, however i do think the apts on cross creek are better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or