U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Pharmacy tech with no friends family in Florida, marriage problems force relocation to Florida to start new life, good school districts, high cost of living, Florida salaries low, many churches in area

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 11,052 times

Advertisements

I've never written one thing on the computer and I don't know if i'm doing this right, but here goes...I've lived in Michigan for the past 20+ years & have hated it the entire time.I came here in a miserable marriage that has gotten nothing but worse.I have wanted to move to Florida ever since I visited it for the first time when I was 17 & lived in N.J. I begged my husband year after year after year could we please move to a place with more sun ,warm weather , no snow. Moderator cut: to personal for this forum I have decided to finally move (alone,without him, but hopefully with my 12 year old daughter.) After visiting and vacationing in quite a few different areas in Fl. through the years, I find my favorite place seems to be the Sarasota area,due to it's size and I've researched the schools and it seems to have a very good school system. How realistic is it for me to move to this area as a seperated,soon to be divorced mother of a 12 year old? I know it's rather affluent, but would I be able to find housing? Which school would be the best middle school for a very bright but very shy and unassertive 12 year old girl.We want to be in an area that would be considered "safe", and a "good part of town". I work in a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician (for the past 10 years) and I'm sure I could probably find work ,although not very high paying. I have no friends or relatives in Florida, so there's no one to stay with to "try it out."Any suggestions with what areas or anything would be hugely appreciated .

Old 01-13-2007, 08:27 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,726,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinn998 View Post
I've never written one thing on the computer and I don't know if i'm doing this right, but here goes...I've lived in Michigan for the past 20+ years & have hated it the entire time.I came here in a miserable marriage that has gotten nothing but worse.I have wanted to move to Florida ever since I visited it for the first time when I was 17 & lived in N.J. I begged my husband year after year after year could we please move to a place with more sun ,warm weather , no snow. I have terrrible S.A.D. & Michigan is probably one of the worst places I could ever live, except for possibly N.J. Anyway he basically said 'go ahead' (me alone.)The only reason I have stayed is my kids.My son is 21 (and diabetic since 8) and my daughter is 12. Moderator cut: too personal I have decided to finally move (alone,without him, but hopefully with my 12 year old daughter.) After visiting and vacationing in quite a few different areas in Fl. through the years, I find my favorite place seems to be the Sarasota area,due to it's size and I've researched the schools and it seems to have a very good school system. How realistic is it for me to move to this area as a seperated,soon to be divorced mother of a 12 year old? I know it's rather affluent, but would I be able to find housing? Which school would be the best middle school for a very bright but very shy and unassertive 12 year old girl.We want to be in an area that would be considered "safe", and a "good part of town". I work in a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician (for the past 10 years) and I'm sure I could probably find work ,although not very high paying. I have no friends or relatives in Florida, so there's no one to stay with to "try it out."Any suggestions with what areas or anything would be hugely appreciated .

Well, you have succeeded in this post !
As far as your situation, I am sorry you find yourself in this position.
I myself left Florida for many reasons. You may find it difficult to restart anywhere without the knowledge of the place you plan on going. Research, try to find out what your job is paying in that area, find out what rent would run, and investigatethe school system.
I assume you will be renting, which is what I would suggest. Being in Florida on vacation is much different than living everyday there. Yes, it is beautiful, sunny ect... but when you find yourself working 2 jobs to pay for living in Florida, you will not have the time to enjoy all the percs vacationers do.

I wish you luck in getting out of a bad relationship and starting anew, where ever that may be .

Old 01-13-2007, 08:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,351,566 times
I'm sorry to here about the problems you are having with, or have had with your marriage. Florida can be a great place to start a new life. Or it can be hell. Coming to Florida will do nothing to solve the problems you are currently experiencing.

Yes, it is warm here. And, yes, many parts of Florida are beautiful when you first move here from a place like Michigan, because the sceneray and terrain is quite different. However, you need to evaluate your move primarily in terms of financial requirements and demands. Put all issues concerning your husband or x-husband asside, take off the Florida "blue sea and orange sunset" colored glasses, get your calculator pencil and paper out and figure out how you are going to make ends meet here. If you have your own business, which can be easily relocated to Florida, or are independantly wealthy, then start planning and make the move.

However, if you plan on moving to Florida, then finding a job working for someone else or a company, you will quickly and harshly learn that you will not make enough money to live the way you want and support your 12 year old daughter in the manner you are accustomed. This assumes that you are not a medical doctor, site plan engineer, architect, or building engineer. Most other people from northern states struggle to find jobs in Florida that pay even 2/3rds of what they were making up north. We are not a big union state and employers can fire you for whatever they want, whenever they want, except for race, religion, dissability, and a few other protected catagories. Forida is an expensive state to live in - it wasn't always that way, but over the last 10 years it certainly has become expensive.

As for places to move, if you decide to make the move, Sarasota certianly has some nice areas. It is also an very expensive area to live. Again, I don't know what kind of work you will find in Sarasota coming from out of state with no contacts in that area. Tampa would be a better bet for employment, so would Orlando or Jacksonville. However, if you read many of the threads on Florida, you will see that people moving to this state from other places seem to have difficulty finding jobs that would even let them afford a small house. Renting is always an option. In Orlando, you can figure that an average, older 2br3bth house in a fair neighborhood would rent for ballpark $1,500 / month. I don't know what rents are in Sarasota. Small two bedroom appartments start at around $800 / month.

Unless you live in a neighborhood where houses sell for over $350,000 you may be moving into a school district that isn't all that great, not always, but this seems to be the general rule. Since you have a school age child, you need to pay very close attention to school districts, unless of course you will putting her in private school. You can usually find a decent private school in most urban / suburban areas of Florida.

My suggestion is that you read many of the threads on the Florida board. Some of them are a little too far on the alarmist side (in my opinion), but they will let you know what you need to be thinking about before you make the move. Good Luck.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:17 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,133,761 times
Do keep in mind that in Florida the salaries are low and the expenses are high (I'm a Michigan native). The jobs pay quite a bit lower than other states and the taxes and insurance rates are higher.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,911,274 times
Dear Quinn,
I'm sorry for your situation.
If you do move to Florida, may I humbly suggest something?
Once you move down to Florida, if you do, you may want to consider visiting some of the many churches down there.

Please know that I am NOT preaching, I would never do that.

I am only pointing out what I have found, and that is that the southern states seem to have many more churches and people who consider themselves people of faith then I have ever seen up North.

No one is perfect, but I have found sometimes hooking up with good people who are helpful can sometimes make all the difference.

May your future be better then your past........

Frank D.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:10 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,009,008 times
Hi Quinn, and yup, you did your first post just perfectly so you obviously know what you're doing. I'm so sorry to hear of your present circumstances.

I like the suggestions that Frank gave you.

Since living in Florida has been your dream for many years, it's time you start doing some checking to make your dream come true. If Sarasota is too expensive, search elsewhere. You'll still have the sunshine and warmth you're looking for.
Check out different areas. Moderator cut: link not allowes Then, if you find more areas you're interested in, start searching the internet. Jobs.net or Monster or Career Builder or Snag a Job are all good sites for finding employment, as are the local newspapers.

There are areas in Fla. where renting an apartment won't cost half your paycheck. Search apartments.com or Move. com or apartments.com as well as the local papers.

Also, you will hopefully not be responsible for the entire supporting of your child since your ex will be responsible for some of that. If you have property to divide or sell, be frugal so you can get started down in Fla. Save every dollar you can starting now so you'll have deposits for your utilities and your apartment.

I've come to the conclusion that if we want something badly enough, there is a way we can get it even if we aren't rich. I definitely want to be living in Fla. within the next year or so and I will MAKE it work. If I have to live in a small apartment and have to work hard to find a job, I'm willing to do it. I'll ask questions and accept any info or suggestions I can get. Be sure to get your resume and all dates of employment and references and phone numbers all in your notebook now so you'll have all of it when you go job hunting. If the pharmacy tech job isn't available to you right away, so be it. Clean motel rooms or wait tables or do whatever you have to do until you can find the job you're looking for. If all that's affordable right away is a studio apartment, grab it until you're settling and have time to find something bigger and nicer.

It seems the things we really want in life don't come easy and you sound like the kind of person who is willing to work hard to better your life and to live where you'll be happy. Good luck to you.

Old 01-13-2007, 05:36 PM

17 posts, read 18,835 times
You have guts thats for sure! I am very sorry about your situation, but runnng doesnt solve anything. You have a 12 year old to think about. Research pay and housing, you may have to work two jobs to support yourself and your daughter.
Look at North Port for housing, most houses are brand new and you can rent a new one for as little as $700 a month. Schools are excellent in North Port, new middle school and new elementary schools. The town is located about 30 minutes south of Sarasota so the commute wouldnt be bad.
Finding a good church is an excellent idea, support from a church would help your transition go more smoothly. Your daughter would find friends and help her with her transition.
Good luck to you.

Old 01-13-2007, 06:11 PM

168 posts, read 699,527 times
hi, please if you have experienced spousal abuse please take you and your child to a shelter. i'm serious - while your incident was deleted, it was reprinted when someone reposted your original post. you need not stay and endure abuse; you don't have to wait until you move. if you have been injured as your post indicated, your spouse can be arrested.

as for moving to florida, any move requires money. it would depend upon whether you were considering just packing up your car and going, or renting a truck or trailer. if it is the latter, do research at the truck rental sites. calculate gas milege; figure in motels/food.

then once at your florida location, you must have enough money to subsist until you find a place to live. you also must have enough for first, last and security at most rental units. this can run into a heck of a lot of money. this most likely involves signing a lease - which ties you to a place whether or not you've found a job yet.

finding a job can be a daunting task. if you are a pharmacy technician, why not investigate online Eckerds - see if they have an employment site. they are a large drugstore chain in florida. or if by chance my recommendation gets deleted, just do a search on the web for pharmacies in florida and see if they are hiring.

i think, as someone who has moved from florida (my home state), you will be surprised as to how much money you will actually need to move to another state and get settled. without a job, it only makes it that much harder.

i don't want to rain on your parade, but please do some research before making the plunge. you don't want to get into a worse situation than you are in now.

please seek out some advice and help from your local area agencies in michigan. there might be possibilities you never dreamed of ... but you have to ask first.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:51 AM

442 posts, read 2,709,446 times
( another Michigan Native) Florida is not all whats its cracked up to be, yeah sure the weather is nice ( when its not JUly and August The hottest times)
I have visited Sarasota a couple of times and its a very nice place, as some stated before if you buy or rent where the homes are more expensive then maybe you might have a good school...but remember Florida schools are ranked pretty low...
Job hunting, will be a daunting task for sure ( is'nt everywhere?), however, People tend to be a bit more laid back here in this state, so you may apply for 4 jobs and hear nothing for a couple of weeks, they do FDLE back ground checks that take a little time...
I would surely Try , to have a job before you move down here, if possible!...
I love Michigan , but i can't live there the winters are killer, but the summer and fall are just beautiful, we do not have a fall at all here.....and it was something that took me a while to get use to..but i did....
Good LUCK!

Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 AM

4,723 posts, read 12,392,682 times
You should have no problem finding a job in your field. As far as the housing/pay in Sarasota (I live in Bradenton), 1/1's rent in the $700-$800 range....you can find some sweet deals in good neighborhoods with good schools...however, you will find it tough going if that's your only income.

Another part time job would help but maybe a fresh move is half the battle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or